Ann's House of Nuts

This post recalled fond memories of snacks from Ann's House of Nuts

I finally made it up to the outlet attached to their current headquarters in Columbia at 9212 Berger Rd., which is the section off of Oakland Mills Rd. that is not directly connected to Snowden River Pkwy. As before, inside is an array of discounted nuts, mixed nuts, snack foods and candies. Almonds, for instance, are available in numerous forms: whole, shelled (roasted or raw), blanched and peeled, slivered, ground, and as flour. Half-pound bags of blanched and peeled almonds were $1.99, which is considerably cheaper than I can buy raw ones at the Teeter. The sale carts had some weird but insanely cheap items on them; "egg nog yogurt raisins" had been drastically marked down to $2.50 for a sizeable bag, and were buy-one-get-one-free on top of that.

A few of the more popular dried fruits (raisins, figs, apricots) but nothing exotic. Snack mix components - sesame chips, wasabi peas and such.

They also carried an eclectic selection of baking supplies. Chocolate and other-flavored chips of numerous types. Shredded coconut, sweetened and unsweetened. Bulk chocolate (bin was empty, so I don't know which producer). I picked up a bag of crystallized ginger to try, but don't care for the flavor of theirs...it's sulfated, and has an oddly sharp bite to it.