Green Onions

redline

Hey all-I have an overabundance of green onions from my CSA-essentially immature white onions, but I'll call them 'green' for the fact that they're the full plant and most of their bulk is essentially of scallion consistency. I've made a bunch of stir-frys with them, but I'm looking for something different-does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally it would be something that incorporated other things abundant from the season (garlic scapes/fava beans/asparagus).

Hey all-I have an overabundance of green onions from my CSA-essentially immature white onions, but I'll call them 'green' for the fact that they're the full plant and most of their bulk is essentially of scallion consistency. I've made a bunch of stir-frys with them, but I'm looking for something different-does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally it would be something that incorporated other things abundant from the season (garlic scapes/fava beans/asparagus).

Caramelize them via a long oven-roast, perhaps wrapped in foil with olive oil and the seasonings of your choice. Once done, puree them with cooked fava beans, the nut butter of your choice, season further to taste (don't forget the lemon juice or other acid!), then use that to stuff burritos, have with crudites, mix with scrambled eggs, etc.

Basically, a bastardization of Foul Mudammas, and no one gets hurt with a mistaken pronunciation.

I use a good quantity as part of the filling for Chinese dumplings. Scallion pancakes - though you don't need a huge quantity for that. A sauce of garlic, ginger, scallions, salt and olive oil heated up is great for drizzling on a meaty white fish or plain chicken.