$20 Tuesday -- Exploring Springfield

There has been plenty of discussion about some of the ethnic dining in Springfield, and I'd like to see if we can organize an appropriate event. We'll aim for $20 each, but what the heck, the more you want to eat and drink the more it will cost. We should nail down a date and location for a progressive meal.

For location, my first choice would be Brookfield Plaza on Backlick. Within a few steps are House of Siam (Thai), Sahm Oh Jang (Korean), Ravi Kabob III (Pakistani), and just a half a block or so from the likes of Chutny (Indo-Pak) and Tippy's Tacos. And just across Backlick (for the adventuresome) are Le Bledo Bakery (Vietnamese), Delia's (Mediterranean) and El Sabor Boliviano -slash- Village Chicken. Plenty of walking distance options....and I skipped a few.

Farther up Backlick, near Mike's, is the K-Mart plaza, where Tommy Thai and Canton Cafe can be found. There is a kabob place there too, but I haven't formed an opinion on it yet. And then there's Mike's. This progressive walk might be a little less interesting overall, but hits the high points of some of the discussion to date.

These are the two best locales unless we wander farther up Backlick to Gamasot, and there are a few other options there as well.

So....I suggest the first venue for food and drinks, and we aim for a Monday, Tuesday or Thursday evening. Let's get a sense for whom wants to join in, when is a good date and any other particulars anyone wants to toss in. Maybe we can make this happen in June....?

I am in for most days specified. Not available 6/10/10.

It seems to me that for $20 Tuesday, since you are the organizer, you pick a place and a date, and people either come or they don't. From what I have observed, people sort of converge on one restaurant and then sit there and eat and talk for several hours. We usually make reservations.

We did Gamasot a while back, that was very successful. Grover set it up, she speaks Korean and planned things in advance.

It seems to me that for $20 Tuesday, since you are the organizer, you pick a place and a date, and people either come or they don't. From what I have observed, people sort of converge on one restaurant and then sit there and eat and talk for several hours. We usually make reservations.

[Only in theory. Springfield as a $20 Tuesday location is entirely untested, and I can see participation ranging from zero people up to several. Whatever it is, it is.]

[Only in theory. Springfield as a $20 Tuesday location is entirely untested, and I can see participation ranging from zero people up to several. Whatever it is, it is.]

I thought the Gamasot $20 Tuesday was a great success. But that had two special ingredients, a little known restaurant that was, potentially and in actuality, an undiscovered gem, and Grover, Korean speaking, willing to guide the way.

"Undiscovered gem" and "willing guide" are but two of the potential memes that make for potential success in such an endeavor.

Which is why I was suggesting group lunches, instead, researching the material before staking a position.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for sociability and conviviality, which is hard to come by in Springfield.

I thought the Gamasot $20 Tuesday was a great success. But that had two special ingredients, a little known restaurant that was, potentially and in actuality, an undiscovered gem, and Grover, Korean speaking, willing to guide the way.

"Undiscovered gem" and "willing guide" are but two of the potential memes that make for potential success in such an endeavor.

Which is why I was suggesting group lunches, instead, researching the material before staking a position.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for sociability and conviviality, which is hard to come by in Springfield.

Don't forget what a success (albeit on a small scale) the Eden Center walking tour was. We have plenty of members from Springfield; the question is ... will they sign in and know about the event?

Looks like Durwoodx, Ilaine and Kibbee Nayee (+1) so far. I'd love to see some of the Mike's fans join us, like mdt. Or Grover can help us navigate the Sahm Oh Jong menu. I'm thinking that meeting at House of Siam on an upcoming Tuesday or Thursday gets us started with a drink and a nice appetizer menu, and then we can either stroll or settle in.

I hope that we can join in (some of my family & I, may include teenage kids), if it's on Tuesday at House of Siam. Next Thursday, I'll be w/ other proud lacrosse parents, as our daughters celebrate their undefeated season (Ft. Hunt U11B2-although they went down, in a difficult game today, 7-6, to Manassas)-it's been a long season, we had fun, but I'm glad it's over...

I'm starting to think about Tuesday, June 15, or Thursday, June 17. Please give me a sense of availability.

My choice of venue is House of Siam in Brookfield Plaza. The construction crews were there over the past week tearing up and repaving the parking areas, so I will revisit it this week and see if the coast is clear.

If there are any problems, I might move the venue down Franconia Road to Mediterranean Gourmet Market, which is a few doors down from Sampan Cafe and across the street from Rice and Noodles (Thai). Stay tuned....

OK, in the spirit of a $20 Tuesday, let's nail it down for Tuesday the 15th. Kibbee Nayee (+1) and iolaire (+1) seem to be in. Who else...? Let's hear from Ilaine, TheMatt, thistle and others....!

House of Siam will be our rendezvous, although 4-5 other places are steps away, not to mention the newer El Sabor Boliviano about a block and a half away. Is a 7:00pm rendezvous acceptable for those who can make it?

OK, this is shaping up well.

Thus far, we have:

Kibbee Nayee (+1)

iolaire (+1)

Ilaine (+1)

TheMatt

The manager at House of Siam will set us up on the center table. I told him we would eat and drink and chat there, and then maybe meander around Brookfield Plaza. He seemed excited to have us.

House of Siam is at 7056 Spring Garden Drive, Springfield, VA 22150 (703-866-6088).

Spring Garden Drive is a straight strip mall perpendicular to Backlick Road. Directly next door to House of Siam is Pizza N Pizza, a not-bad Halal pizza and pasta place -- it claims to be Halal but bacon and ham pop up here and there across the menu. After Pizza N Pizza is House of Siam, and progressing towards Backlick, give or take the precise order, are an Asian market, a Halal market, Ravi Kabob III, Sahm Oh Jong, a Vietnamese place I haven't yet tried, an Indian place called Niralla, a Chinese place I haven't yet tried and Tippy's Tacos. Not bad for one straight strip.

Across the parking lot on the other side of Brookfield Plaza are Chutny, a fast-food fried chicken place that is Halal, La Hacienda, a strip club (at least as far as Virginia allows) and a relatively new Indian place with a lunch buffet and a sweets shop.

All of this, and we haven't even crossed Backlick Road. Directly across Backlick is a strip mall that includes Le Bledo Bakery (including a good Vietnamese lunch counter), another Vietnamese place, a pizza place, Tokyo Inn and Outback Steakhouse. Le Bledo stands out here. Please avoid Outback.

And then the next plaza down Backlick towards the Fairfax County Parkway includes Delia's, El Sabor Boliviano and Village Chicken.

All of this is for your information. I intend to linger at House of Siam until I've had a few appetizers and drinks, maybe wander up to Ravi Kabob III for a main course, or I can be cajoled into Sahm Oh Jong or Chutny for a main course. Or just go with the flow....

I think I'll be able to make it , with either 2 or 3 additional family members. I'm trying another Springfield restaurant , Royal Court Barbecue, for the first time today, lunch w/ a friend-will report back...

I'd really be interested in your review of this place. I've been to the pizzeria next door, and of course Kate's within a few steps. I'm thinking this place is one more reason to avoid the food at Mike's, especially since you have to park near Royal Court if you're going to Mike's anyway!

Our rolling head-count as of Friday afternoon, June 11...

Kibbee Nayee (+1)

iolaire (+1)

Ilaine (+1)

TheMatt

thistle (+2 or +3)

sphere777

And a definite maybe from durwoodx, plus or minus one....

This is great! We're approaching a dozen! Let's take over Brookfield Plaza for the evening and have a Rockwellian good time.

I'm about to head over to House of Siam to make sure they're ready to receive us tomorrow. We are at about a dozen, give or take, right now....

Kibbee Nayee (+2)

iolaire (+1)

Ilaine (+1)

TheMatt

thistle (+2 or +3)

sphere777

And a definite maybe from durwoodx, plus or minus one, as well as Smita the Crackpot Gourmet....

Let's set expectations accordingly. Springfield is not a haute cuisine mecca, like Old Town or Penn Quarter. It is mom-n-pop ethnic places with fresh ingredients and some passionate efforts coming out of the kitchen. There will be hits and misses, but overall, when you find yourself in Springfield with a hungry tummy and not too much money in your pocket, you will eat honestly and enjoyably.

I will declare tonight a solid success. A cadre of 10 enjoyed most of the menu at House of Siam and didn't even need to wander around Springfield's version of a 'Disney-esque Town Centre' at all. A goods time was had by all. Thanks to Iolaire, TheMatt, Linda and her adventurous palate kids, and Rob for the wonderful company. House of Siam probably never had a better Tuesday as far as revenue is concerned, and the dishes were really good. Heat was modulated according to individual tastes, plates were passed all over the table, and I would repeat this adventure any time. Thanks to all ten of you/us for making this a wonderful evening.

After a few more of these pass by, like the Venezuelan event in Falls Church, I will throw another event at Lebanese Butcher later in the summer. Except that this one will be unique. You know those chocolate fountains that have become so popular at buffets and weddings? The one at Lebanese Butcher will feature a bottomless mound of kibbee nayee.

We really enjoyed dinner-thank you, Kibbee Nayee, for suggesting it & organizing it. My son is easy, he'll eat almost anything (but has definite opinions about food), my daughter is the super picky one & she said she really liked it & would definitely come back. It's always enjoyable to eat with a group that loves food as much as I do & doesn't think I'm excessive when I want to sample everything (lots of plate passing going on). I know we were told not to set our expectations too high, but I thought it was great-the chicken larb was one of the best I've ever had. Wonderful company & food, bring on the next Springfield outing!....Linda/Thistle