J. Chocolatier, Chocolatier Jane Morris' Handmade Chocolates - Closed in Georgetown, but Open on 7th and C Street SE near Eastern Market

My friend is the assistant chocolatier at J Chocolatier, so this is a little biased. But I really love the "drunken Buddha" chocolates - chocolates with a Bells Cherry Stout-infused ganache and a liqueur-soaked dried cherry inside. Pretty boozy and nice. The classic dark chocolate truffles are also quite tasty. They also just added a lavender-infused lemonade to their drinks menu, and plan to add a few others.

Happened past this spot today for the first time without any connection or preconceived notions. Jane helped me and gave me a bit of the background when I showed interest. It's almost two years old but tough to spot if walking in G'Town. Just off (south of) M St on 33rd w/ direct line of sight to Georgetown Cupcakes.

Jane has a fairly narrow but consistently high-quality assortment that I really appreciate. Excellent callebaut and other chocolates used for truffles and meticulously-made hand chocolates. Cookies and no cupcakes. I had a 'cherry chocolate chip' which quite rocked--most similar to a delicious, crispy, perfectly baked chocolate chip cookie but the bit of oatmeal in this gives it a lighter crunch and love the inclusion of the cherries. The use of quality (read: no corn syrup!) chocolate gives it the perfect rich and melty factor.

Finally, points for the quality looseleaf teas Jane serves. Tea is one of my litmus tests for pastry/bakery/coffee spots. If they at least use the best bagged brands (Mighty Leaf or Two Leaves and a Bud), I know they can't be all bad. If they go beyond that to use quality looseleaf, well, that's the best. Jane offered dragonwell and a wonderful jasmine I had today.

The shop has 3 or so tables. Great, every-so-slightly-off-the-beaten-path of M St without the huge crowds the cupcakeries. I'm not sure the current mix is broad enough for long-term success but I am sure that Jane has already made it two years (no small feat in this economy), maintains a very high quality bar and that is a place worth visiting for what it offers.

Closed according to the sign in the window.

Really sad if true. Looking back on what I'd posted a couple of years ago, seems almost sadly prophetic.

...The shop has 3 or so tables. Great, every-so-slightly-off-the-beaten-path of M St without the huge crowds the cupcakeries. I'm not sure the current mix is broad enough for long-term success but I am sure that Jane has already made it two years (no small feat in this economy), maintains a very high quality bar and that is a place worth visiting for what it offers.

The products and owner were lovely but it was worrying from a sustainability perspective since not highly visible yet so close to the main M St drag. With Georgetown Cupcake and Leopold just to the west, Dean & Deluca practically on top of it, and Baked & Wired a few blocks to the east, it was probably tough to get enough traffic into the store. Boo. :(

According to their Facebook page, the store in Georgetown has closed, but they are moving online. However, the website isn't ready yet. They also mentioned having a pop up on Thursday, March 28 at Tabula Rasa on 731 8th St. I'm not sure of the time though.

This shop has relocated to the space above Groovy on 7th St., SE, near Eastern Market and opposite the Hine development site.  It's a cozy bright space. I stopped in today to pick up some Valentine's chocolates.  She's generally only open on weekends but has weekday hours right around holidays.  Buy your valentine a card downstairs at Groovy and small batch chocolates upstairs  :wub: .