Worth the Price?

hopsing

I read this forum all the time, but I usually skip reading about the pricey restaurants because I don’t have the money. Well, I recently won a monetary award so I am taking my husband out to dinner to celebrate that and our anniversary. So my question is: what pricey restaurant is worth the extra price? I don’t want to spend a lot of money and feel like I could have gotten the same or better food at one of my bargain haunts. I am familiar with the top shelf restaurants, but which ones are worth the price? My friends tell me 2941, Palena, Bistro Bis. Those are good possibilities. Inn at Little Washington is still out of my reach. I suggested Fogo de Chao but my husband wasn’t interested in all that meat. We are interested in American, French, Italian, continental for the big meal. DC and northern VA preferred. Oh, and my husband doesn't want to wear a suit jacket. Sorry about all the restrictions.

What do you expert foodies think?

Oh, and my husband doesn't want to wear a suit jacket. Sorry about all the restrictions.

I'd say Corduroy, except for the jacket thing. That's "jacket preferred." My husband hates tie and jacket but will do the jacket-no-tie for Corduroy. I doubt they'd turn you away if he wasn't wearing a jacket. That's pretty quiet, if you're looking for that, but the only bathrooms are up a flight of stairs.

Proof would be my second choice. It's moved up, neck-and-neck, tied with Corduroy as my favorite restaurant in DC.

Palena and Bistro Bis would also be good choices, but are you thinking of the dining room for Palena ($$$$$$<--don't know how many to use :) ) or the more inexpensive cafe?

Some of the restaurants that would be on my list have lower-price options - Palena's front room, Corduroy's bar options, Eve Bistro, etc. - so I'd look elsewhere and go back to those later. Cityzen has a $50 bar menu; where that puts it is up to you. 2941 disappointed me, but it's been a while. I thought Komi was overrated and overpriced. Marcel's lived up to high expectations, but it's been a while. Oval Room would probably be my top choice. Minibar should also be experienced at least once.

I'd say Corduroy, except for the jacket thing. That's "jacket preferred." My husband hates tie and jacket but will do the jacket-no-tie for Corduroy. I doubt they'd turn you away if he wasn't wearing a jacket. That's pretty quiet, if you're looking for that, but the only bathrooms are up a flight of stairs.

Proof would be my second choice. It's moved up, neck-and-neck, tied with Corduroy as my favorite restaurant in DC.

Palena and Bistro Bis would also be good choices, but are you thinking of the dining room for Palena ($$$$$$<--don't know how many to use :) ) or the more inexpensive cafe?

Palena's back room is not that expensive at all for fine dining around these parts. You can do 4 courses and dessert for $76 per person. There are also less expensive 2 and 3 course options. And Palena is well worth it.

Palena's back room is not that expensive at all for fine dining around these parts. You can do 4 courses and dessert for $76 per person. There are also less expensive 2 and 3 course options. And Palena is well worth it.

Thanks. I know we really enjoyed our meal in the back room, but it was quite a few years ago, and my recollection was that it was very expensive.

I'm going to throw out the one phrase everybody hates but is true in every case*: "It depends."

Consider the following criteria. How would you rank them in terms of importance to you? This list might not even be the right list. But clarifying your own, highly personalized expectations might help others recommend a place for the special evening to remember, rather than an image-unmet-with-reality disappointment.

a ) Feeling like "royalty" for the evening; service that spoils (but sans pretension)

b ) Trying new-to-me ingredients

c ) Trying new-to-me methods of culinary preparation

d ) Exceptional wine and beverage options to complement the meal

e ) Ambiance and acoustical considerations

f ) Interaction with the chef(s)

*because "true in every case" + "it depends" in the same idea = funny :)

I'm going to throw out the one phrase everybody hates but is true in every case*: "It depends."

a ) Feeling like "royalty" for the evening; service that spoils (but sans pretension)

d ) Exceptional wine and beverage options to complement the meal

f ) Interaction with the chef(s)

*because "true in every case" + "it depends" in the same idea = funny :)

I guess these are the things important to me. The most important thing is that the food tastes great -- could even be something simple but just tastes spectacular. We remember having fried calamari at a simple restaurant in LA which was the best we had ever had because they had fresh, fresh calamari and they dipped in flour and then lightly fried it. Best calamari we had ever had. Thx!

I was thinking the dining room because it takes reservations.

Vidalia? Even Vidalia 24, but that's really going high-end on price.

I also agree with Proof and Corduroy -- although for some reason my brain slots Proof in at a lower price point. I guess it's not, really. But I'm right up there with Pat, putting it in my top 5 if not higher.

(No comment on Eve, Cityzen, or Palena just means no personal experience.)

I'd say if it's not worth it to put on a jacket, it's not worth it to spend the money. Blow it on something else that your husband is interested enough in to go out of his way to enjoy -- a ballgame or a play or a bottle of excellent Scotch.

I'd say if it's not worth it to put on a jacket, it's not worth it to spend the money. Blow it on something else that your husband is interested enough in to go out of his way to enjoy -- a ballgame or a play or a bottle of excellent Scotch.

It is a deep-seated aversion dating back to 12 years of religious school in the 60s (don't mean to offend anybody so won't mention what religion). No, he really likes food and wants a good meal. Pls don't give up on him. I'm researching all the suggestions from this thread. Thx!

I don't disagree with the Palena, Proof, Corduroy, Komi list (though I'm still waiting to go to Komi). I would also through PS7 in the mix. Maybe a notch down in price, but not in quality of food and less stuffy than some other places.

You yuppie bastard. :) $76 a person before drinks, tax and tip isn't expensive? You have been blessed, my son, with genius and opportunity -- and no one deserves it more -- but we will be a better world when more of us remember that the $300 we spend on dinner for two at Palena equals the entire take-home salary of a large percentage of American workers.

But, yeah, after boycotting the place for a couple of years because of bad service experience, recent return meals (sitting in the cafe, where you can cut expenses by mixing bar and back room menus) have been spectacularly good. Given its relatively low profile, I'd suggest that it may be the most underrated place in town (with Komi -- though a fine place to eat -- trending toward overrated).

You can eat at the bar at CityZen sans jacket, as well ( though, as a parent of two Catholic school veterans and husband of a third -- I find parochial school trauma 40 years ago a suspect excuse for eschewing a decent jacket on a big night out). $50 a person for three courses. Some call it the best bargain in DC.

If The Inn is out of the price range, so too, I assume, would be Komi, Minibar, and Eve's Tasting Room. With apps in the high teens and entrees in the thirties, Eve's Bistro is up there too.

Proof, Palena, Corduroy, Vidalia. Solid.

I was recently in a similar situation as you (i.e. unexpected windfall and therefore a chance to eat at a place I normally could not) and decided to go to Palena. It was a great meal and very relaxing - I was very happy with my choice.

You yuppie bastard. :) $76 a person before drinks, tax and tip isn't expensive? You have been blessed, my son, with genius and opportunity -- and no one deserves it more -- but we will be a better world when more of us remember that the $300 we spend on dinner for two at Palena equals the entire take-home salary of a large percentage of American workers.

But, yeah, after boycotting the place for a couple of years because of bad service experience, recent return meals (sitting in the cafe, where you can cut expenses by mixing bar and back room menus) have been spectacularly good. Given its relatively low profile, I'd suggest that it may be the most underrated place in town (with Komi -- though a fine place to eat -- trending toward overrated).

You can eat at the bar at CityZen sans jacket, as well ( though, as a parent of two Catholic school veterans and husband of a third -- I find parochial school trauma 40 years ago a suspect excuse for eschewing a decent jacket on a big night out). $50 a person for three courses. Some call it the best bargain in DC.

My "not that expensive" comment was in reference to Pat's post that Palena was many $s expensive. I was trying to convey that it has a good price point for a top tier place. For comparison Palena's 2 courses + dessert is $58 and you can sit in the dining room. :D

It's interesting that no one's mentioned The Source, Adour, J&G Steakhouse, Bourbon Steak, BLT Steak...

Can't speak from personal experience with any of those places -- oh, I need to get out more -- but hopsing mentioned her husband wasn't a huge meat guy (or so I perhaps mistakenly interpreted from the comment about lack of interest in Fogo) so maybe that put the kibosh on suggestions of the latter three?

It's interesting that no one's mentioned The Source, Adour, J&G Steakhouse, Bourbon Steak, BLT Steak...

I haven't tried Adour. The Source, in my one visit, had very inconsistent food and poor service. And for steaks, I'd go to Ray's and save the big bucks for something else.

Can't speak from personal experience with any of those places -- oh, I need to get out more -- but hopsing mentioned her husband wasn't a huge meat guy (or so I perhaps mistakenly interpreted from the comment about lack of interest in Fogo) so maybe that put the kibosh on suggestions of the latter three?

He likes steak in general but we both would prefer non-steakhouses for the "special meal". Thx!

Examples of what's new to you would help.

Oh, another thought is Eola - they certainly have some interesting and very tasty dishes (including offal) at prices lower than most of the mentioned restaurants.

My point was that the places started by big name celebrity out of town chefs (except CityZen) don't even occur (apparently, though I'd missed the meat angle) to Rockweilers. I think that's a good thing. The only one I've eaten at is The Source, and I think it's overrated, and I have an irrational dislike of it because it isn't a Washington, DC restaurant, but a Wolfgang Puck restaurant, of which there are like thousands or something all over the universe. Whoop-de-doodle.

At any rate I didn't mean to imply that I'd recommend any of them. I like locally-sourced restaurants.

..what? Oh. Palena. Vidalia. Eve. Corduroy. BlackSalt.

Oval Room would be my recommendation. Great food, lovely atmosphere, and ala carte menu.

Oval Room sprang to mind the moment I saw the title of this thread. Wholeheartedly seconded. Many of the other options listed here are high-end food with deals that make it more affordable (Corduroy's bar, CityZen's bar, Palena Cafe, and even Vidalia, with a bar menu that is as much of as what's on the dinner menu), but even paying full price at Oval Room, the food will (from my experience) blow your mind.

I completely agree. Palena would be my #1 choice. Komi is another great high end restaurant, but it is indeed more expensive.

I completely agree. Palena would be my #1 choice. Komi is another great high end restaurant, but it is indeed more expensive.

Agree as well. Some of the best food in DC and easily the best value in DC high-end dining in town.

Having never been to Proof, The Inn, Komi, Cityzen, the Oval Room or a few others, I can only comment on my experiences. However, I LOVE Corduroy. I have never had a bad meal there, and the service has always been excellent. I like that it's quiet too, so it's been great for family get-togethers or date nights. The Tasting Room at Eve was an amazing experience (and good for trying some new things and new preparations), but that was a couple years ago. I've been to Palena's cafe twice and feel like a blasphemer, but wasn't blown away either time. I should try the back room at some point I guess. I think Vidalia is very good too, but the portion sizes are a bit on the smaller side, so I could see some complaints about value.

i've never been, but from what you said you value--new ingredients and preparations-- it sounds like minibar would be a great experience for you.

granted, my view is highly biased by the fact that i'm vegetarian and can rarely have more than one or two dishes at these places, but i've been to proof a couple of times now and not been wowed. it's good food that was perfectly enjoyable to eat, but nothing i found surprising or craveable or even worth much thought later. (again though, usually the only thing i can have here is the gnocchi). and proper, attentive yet non-fawning service is a big thing for me, and i was not impressed by the service i've had dining at proof (the bar is good though)

I'd reccomend tosca--not that the food is super-novel, but it's always very delicious and i've always had great service, but they have a pre-theater menu every day so this isn't your only chance to go there.

My recent meal at the oval room was lovely, the service good, and the atmosphere pleasantly adult and subdued, though not terribly romantic, if that's what you're looking for.

Recently had a company outing for 30 at Oval Room at it was outstanding - my co-workers can't stop talking about it.

Also, just had a surprise birthday party for my wife at Volt, which was also excellent. We had a 4 course meal for $75 in their private room downstairs.

Palena. Hubby need not wear coat and tie to gain entrance to back room, cozy room choice of 2, 3 or 4 courses and dessert at reasonable price and wine list that includes a more than decent selection of half bottles (in case you'd like to do white & red). Easily the most consistently prepared food in this area, go back get something you had a while ago (sometimes difficult b/c the menu changes often, a plus) it's just as good as you remembered. Call make the reservation and don't look back.

I just got off the phone with Palena. We will be dining there on June 26th, the first Saturday 7pm reservation I could get. I am really looking forward to it. Thanks to everybody for the expert input. I'll save the other suggestions for when I win my next award. :)

I just got off the phone with Palena. We will be dining there on June 26th, the first Saturday 7pm reservation I could get. I am really looking forward to it. Thanks to everybody for the expert input. I'll save the other suggestions for when I win my next award. :)

Excellent. You will not be disappointed.

Understanding that I'm a day or so late to the game (in terms of helping the OP), I'm brand-new to the forum so hopefully will be forgiven the lack of timeliness.

That said, having enjoyed a relaxed and wide-ranging multi-course dinner at Poste a few weeks ago, I would nevertheless have to answer no for this subject line. The food was uniformly good (and in several cases, truly inspired, e.g., bouchot mussels; wood-grilled capretto (goat); white salmon entree; tasting of salted caramel dessert), but the wine list was so disproportionately tilted to the high-end that an otherwise $$$ meal inevitably moved into the $$$$ range with just two selections from near the bottom of the Poste wine list.

This is kind of a shame, because everyone in our group of four indicated an inclination to go back again sooner rather than later but for the wallet-singeing wine list. I tend to be much more charitable toward a pricey menu when I'm not shoe-horned into spending more for wine than I really desire. On the food side, I understand and accept that it costs a lot for the quality ingredients and good kitchen staff required to plate an exceptional meal, but the incremental cost to offer flexibility in the wine list is surely modest.

Dave

Lots of good recommendations! How about Poste?

Last night it just so happens that a dear friend treated me to dinner at BLT Steak. It was my first time there. While the food was good (mmmm, cheesy popovers), the prices bordered on the absurd. I cannot see eating here on my own dime.

Also, the "jalapeno mash" is one of the most bizarre things I've ever been served at a restaurant. We thought it would be nice chunky mashed potatoes with some chopped jalapenos mixed in. Instead, it's a bright green puree. Tasted pretty good, but now I see why it was described by someone as baby food.

Further, our server, who was generally very good, refused to recommend any dish or tell us that one was better than another. Her response to every question was "Everything is good. They're just different." Um, ok.

I guess these are the things important to me. The most important thing is that the food tastes great -- could even be something simple but just tastes spectacular. We remember having fried calamari at a simple restaurant in LA which was the best we had ever had because they had fresh, fresh calamari and they dipped in flour and then lightly fried it. Best calamari we had ever had. Thx!

One thing I would suggest is looking at the various menus online.

For example, you say you would like to try "new-to-you ingredients" but how far do you want to go? You mentioned Fogo de Chao, which is a chain restaurant that serves many different cuts of beef gaucho style, which certain members of my family adore and nobody dislikes, but I believe that our fellow foodies sort of turn up their noses at this place. I happen to like it.

You mentioned Restaurant Eve, which serves (among other things) venison, sweetbreads, and pork, which certain members of my family refuse to eat. Personally, I think this is a fantastic choice, especially if you live in Virginia.

Another thing I suggest is to consider what I have decided to call (after myself) the "Upton effect" -- the tendency of food reviewers to prefer places which are more convenient to them geographically. Thus, if someone living in Bethesda writes glowingly about a restaurant in Bethesda, I discount that review by at least 10%.

Another thing I suggest to consider is what I call the "Joe H effect" -- Joe has a lot more money and a lot more free time and a lot more mobility and a lot more dedication than most of the rest of us.

If this is something that you can afford only once in a blue moon, there's no reason not to go with received wisdom and not go out on a limb.

So, where do you live, and what do you and your beloved spouse like to eat?