Farewell DC...

Fellow Rockwellers, I’m moving away from DC in a few days, headed back to Amherst, MA where I lived for 7 years. I only lived here for 2 years, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. So much great food and drink, I’m sorry that it has to end so soon. I’ve written this narrative of my own personal “best of/favorite/memorable meals, bites, restaurants, people, and posts” that I want to post on the forum. Sure, it may be a bit self-indulgent, but I’ve really enjoyed it here, and I gained so much from this forum that it just seemed to make sense to share it with interested readers. With that said, this is in no particular order and as you’ll see, it is shaped by my own personal preferences, assumptions and limitations.

I’ll start with my favorite bite of the previous two years. And actually it wasn’t a bite at all, more of a sip. I’m talking about the fabulous artichoke soup I had at Cityzen. My New Yorker aunt was in town for the Cherry Blossom Festival and we had such a memorable meal at the bar. Evilkim ordered the artichoke soup for her first course and I was able to snag two delicious spoonfuls. It was probably the best soup I’ve ever had. I just remember feeling like I tasted the essence of artichoke. It tasted more artichokey than artichokes. I’d love to know how Chef Ziebold made it…not because I could reproduce it – I surely could not – but because it was the work of a masterful chef at the top of his game.

My favorite overall meal was at Proof. It was Halloween last year. I took the same aunt, who loves food as much as anyone on this board, to the restaurant for her birthday. We hit every course that night and ordered bottles of wine that are typically way out of my price range. I remember being so proud of what DC has to offer, she was so pleased with the food, setting, wine list…everything. One of the highlights was watching Mark Kuller walk around greeting diners dressed as Julia Child…no wait, actually, it was more of an impression of Dan Aykroyd’s impression of Julia Child. He stopped at our table and gave a hearty laugh and clanked glasses with my aunt. It was one of the most enjoyable meals of my life.

Turning to beverages, Steve Warner of Eventide is my favorite bartender. This guy is a consummate professional. His seasonally-inspired drinks are creative and fresh, but I think he excels most at the classics. He showed me how good a manhattan can be and he makes the best sazerac I’ve ever had. Steve loves his work, and it shows every which way. Perhaps he is underrated because he doesn’t work in the District like some other excellent bartenders around town. My honorable mention goes to Gina Chersevani. When I first moved to the area she was at EatBar, a little local joint around the corner from my apartment. And there was this enthusiastic bartender with a love of spirits and a magnetic personality. I remember feeling like I had this little gem of a bar to myself. I was happy for her when she moved to PS 7, but darn, I missed her. That gnome’s water… what a perfect summer drink. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her with her own show about cocktails on Food Network.

Full disclosure, I’m a sociologist. When I moved here I was finishing my PhD, something that requires a helluva lot of writing. I spent a lot of time in coffee shops (some may call it “camping out”…I call it working :) ). My favorite coffee shop, probably of all time, was and is Murky Coffee. I loved it because it was gritty, had great coffee, a lot of electrical outlets, good bagels and good music. Nick Cho may have problems with the financials, but he makes a terrific cup of coffee. For those who were never there, Murky had a kind of intellectual vibe that I really appreciated…an interesting mix of people. Sure, it was filthy and looked like it could implode at any moment, but damn, I felt like I fit right in. The first time I walked into Murky, they blasted The Arcade Fire’s album, Funeral, from start to finish…I sat down with the newspaper and knew this was the place for me. Northside Social is good, better in some ways, but it’s just not the same.

Let me turn to this forum for a moment. My favorite writer on the site…that would be Waitman. Never met him, don’t know anything about him, but a number of his posts have made me smile (like this one) or even howl with laughter. One of the more entertaining threads on the site was about dress codes in restaurants…and after several days of back and forth, his inspired post just bowled me over.

After all this time, I never met Don Rockwell. That’s ok. In a way, it’s fitting. He remains a mystery to me, which seems poetic and appropriate. Sure, I have sat at bars and imagined that Don is there at the same time, eating his way through the city. It even happened once at Guajillo, but I didn’t realize until I got home and it was too late. Don may be a ghost to me, but he is one hell of a writer...and by all accounts a great guy. Don – thank you very much for being our fearless leader. This board is a treasure, and you’re the reason it exists. There’s so much more I can say, favorite places I haven’t mentioned, some threads I really enjoyed, and fellow Rockwellers whom I’ve enjoyed getting to know through your posts. Although I am moving, I certainly plan to keep writing on the board but obviously not as much in the DC restaurants folder.

What more can I say? DC – I’ll miss your food.

Well written monavano.

We are losing a valued family member! Safe travels and please, please fill up sections in the Intrepid Traveler like bettyjoan has since she has moved to Atlanta.

Happy eatings in Amherst!

Btw, I have a college acquaintance in that area, if you want to touch base with someone.

What a lovely post! The mere thought of Mark Kuller dressed up as Julia Child is enough to brighten my day.

I know from experience that you can (and should!) still be a valuable part of the DR community after you move. Heck, leleboo will confirm that I've attended more DR events since moving to Atlanta than I ever did when I lived in DC! Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

Do let folks know when you'll be back in town - and best of luck to you!

Oh- and if people like that Arcade Fire- their website has a presale now for their show at Merriweather in August.

And Spoon is opening! (Yes, I already have my seats.)

Stickmoon, they're playing Boston on August 1 and Montreal on July 31 if you're interested. :)

Waitman's best friend lives in Amherst. They share a certain, what would you call it, "worldview" perhaps. He is also a talented grouch observer. He does not, sadly, share the food love, otherwise I'd suggest you look him up.

Do keep up on the Intrepid Traveler thread so when we visit we know where to go. Have you ever been to Bub's?

Thanks, everyone for the well wishes. Moving is really stressful, and your replies to my post feel good.

Leleboo, looks like the Boston show is sold out...now seeing them in Montreal, that would be pretty sweet!

Sure, Mrs. B, I know Bub's BBQ...they catered my friend's wedding. I will keep up a western MA thread, sort of like what Bettyjoan does for ATL...

I will keep up a western MA thread, sort of like what Bettyjoan does for ATL...

Do! We are lacking an Amherst-and-environs thread, although we have (an under-populated) one on The Berkshires and one on Northampton ... don't know how those Smithies got out ahead of the curve but they did! (No disrespect intended or implied; my three paternal aunts, my mother, and my father* all attended Smith College.)

Can't wait to hear of your adventures. FWIW, I recommend popping over to the Williamstown Theatre Festival if you have a chance and can score some cheap seats. Often see some great performances when you least expect them over there. Say hi to Billsville for me. :)

*The explanation for this is not nearly as interesting as you might anticipate.

Turning to beverages, Steve Warner of Eventide is my favorite bartender.

Wow. I don't even think my better half would say that. :)

I really hope that the transition is a smooth one for you, and that an occasional visit back to the area is not out of the question. I really have enjoyed the conversations we've had over the last year-and-a-half, even though business at the bar sometimes made that difficult. I do hope that you will continue to describe your meals on this forum, maybe even enough to prompt a visit to Western Massachusetts (you will have plenty of couches, right?).

I wish you well, and keep fighting the good fight.

Steve

Let me turn to this forum for a moment. My favorite writer on the site…that would be Waitman. Never met him, don’t know anything about him, but a number of his posts have made me smile (like this one) or even howl with laughter. One of the more entertaining threads on the site was about dress codes in restaurants…and after several days of back and forth, his inspired post just bowled me over.

I am immensly flattered. Thank you.

Waitman's best friend lives in Amherst. They share a certain, what would you call it, "worldview" perhaps. He is also a talented grouch observer. He does not, sadly, share the food love, otherwise I'd suggest you look him up.

Do keep up on the Intrepid Traveler thread so when we visit we know where to go. Have you ever been to Bub's?

And somewhat worried. My friend's bitter worldview is in part informed by dining options in the Amherst area. Mrs. B is slightly confused, it is the relatively recently acquired wife whose palate is frightfully limited, while my friend has deep appreciation for fine food (though spiced by a class-war distrust of its cost) and has often lamented the lack of options in that corner of the earth. If you discover anything, and report back, I will pass it along.