$20 Tuesday - La Caraquena, Falls Church

If Tuesday the 5th is possible, I'd definitely be up for this. I've never had a saltena or an arepa before, and from the sound of it, I'm missing out.

Of course, using the metro the closest I could get to this place is within about a mile's walk...so perhaps some kind person could provide a bit of assistance on that front.

I'd be up for La CaraqueƱa given my schedule coƶperating. (Decided to go all New Yorker on that since I had the intl keyboard out already.)

Okay, let's just assume this will happen, but only if we get decent turnouts for Mandalay and Springfield. :)

Okay, let's just assume this will happen, but only if we get decent turnouts for Mandalay and Springfield. :)

I smell a bribe. Seeing how well the NOVA happy hour at Eventide went I think we could easily stir up some NOVA love. It has been adequate time since our last event and Falls Church is pretty accessible, I could certainly take anyone who needed a ride from Arlington metro (esp Ballston).

I smell a bribe.

Oh yeah.

(Seriously, I wanted to focus on Mandalay (tomorrow night!) and Springfield before we get ahead of ourselves. Also, in my perfect little world, there would be an event every night in some part of town, with anywhere from 4 to 6 people attending - these don't need to be big affairs. We'll see what happens when membership hits 10,000.)

[Which brings me to a related point: Don't be surprised if June is our first-ever monthly decline in membership - Candy Sagon's Washington Post article came out 12 months ago, and about 250 people signed up that month; almost half of them (a notably low percentage of industry professionals, btw) never returned, and I'm going to prune them in a few weeks. I don't think we're going to get 125 new members this month to compensate, although we might come close - I saw this coming almost a year ago. C'est la vie.]

This may be off topic, but there's no way for me to get to MoCo on a weeknight. Hard enough to get to places in NoVA, coming from the Mixing Bowl.

I will be attending Springfield, but since I've worked in Springfield for several years, my opinion of Springfield chow is . . . . how shall I say it? . . . . hesitant.

Falls Church sets a higher standard, shall we say. Having never been to La CaraqueƱa, I am probably not the one to organize, but would be more than happy to go. For me, Backlick to Annandale Road to Broad is easy. Nothing at all compared to crossing the American Legion Bridge or the 14th Street Bridge at dinner time.

Just checking, is the La Caraquena tasting going to happen soon? If so who do I contact? I have had a good arepa there, and am curious about the saltenas.

This may be off topic, but there's no way for me to get to MoCo on a weeknight. Hard enough to get to places in NoVA, coming from the Mixing Bowl.

I will be attending Springfield, but since I've worked in Springfield for several years, my opinion of Springfield chow is . . . . how shall I say it? . . . . hesitant.

Falls Church sets a higher standard, shall we say. Having never been to La CaraqueƱa, I am probably not the one to organize, but would be more than happy to go. For me, Backlick to Annandale Road to Broad is easy. Nothing at all compared to crossing the American Legion Bridge or the 14th Street Bridge at dinner time.

Just checking, is the La Caraquena tasting going to happen soon? If so who do I contact? I have had a good arepa there, and am curious about the saltenas.

We are biding our time until the current $20 Tuesdays are done... don't worry we will start planning soon.

Ok so not on a Tuesday, but still hopefully $20. So based on the good turnouts for previous $20 Tuesdays and strong interest on the thread. I just talked to Raul and June 28th would be best for him can people make that date? (thanks Leleboo) I would rather do it sooner rather than later myself... but he could do a July date I would just have to call him back? I am thinking 6:30-7:00 if Raul can accommodate us at that time.

Will contact Raul and see what he had thought of doing when he talked to Don and try to give you more details.

Address:

300 W. Broad Street

Falls Church, VA 22046

Website.

Edited by ktmoomau

I think we'll be available either of those dates, but are they open on Tuesdays? I have not tried any South American food, but it sounds perfect to me-corncakes, avocadoes, salsa verde, beans...yum!

Right -- as Don posted, Raul said Monday or Wednesday. kt, you might want to go with the 30th and the 7th as options.

Ok so the date is the 28th seeing that most people can make that. I can give anyone who needs a lift from the metro a ride from the Ballston stop.

Will call with the number of people who have said yes so far, but if more want to come please either post or feel free to PM me and I will get the count to Raul.

Will call with the number of people who have said yes so far, but if more want to come please either post or feel free to PM me and I will get the count to Raul.

It might be best to restart the list now that the date is set before calling. Just in case something has come up since date set and their previous post....

It might be best to restart the list now that the date is set before calling. Just in case something has come up since date set and their previous post....

The list that I have as of now is:

Thistle plus guests (3-4)

Goldenticket

Catharine

Kibbee plus guests (2-3)

The Matt

and a maybe on Fuzzy 510.

And of course me plus guests.

Anyone who wants to be added to the list or taken off the list let me know.

The list that I have as of now is:

Thistle plus guests (3-4)

Goldenticket

Catharine

Kibbee plus guests (2-3)

The Matt

and a maybe on Fuzzy 510.

And of course me plus guests.

Anyone who wants to be added to the list or taken off the list let me know.

Please count me in, if I am not too late. Thanks. Skipper