Tuna is a Goner

B.A.R.

This story has been seriously mis-reported and is factually incorrect. The blue fin are not being "slaughtered" or "decimated", they are merely being relocated to special resort island paradises as "comfort" tuna where all their needs and comforts are attended to by their kind and generous hosts--much in the same way that the magnificently sentient whales are not being "harvested" but merely grouped together for scenic country hikes to see the spectacular vistas of Bataan.

As someone who is relentlessy proud of my slavish, fetishistic adulation of Japanese food culture, the knowledge of which makes me clearly superior to other people, I violently object to the prejudice-based insinuations at the core of this hysteria-induced "news" article and its reports of "environmental" damage.

This story has been seriously mis-reported and is factually incorrect. The blue fin are not being "slaughtered" or "decimated", they are merely being relocated to special resort island paradises as "comfort" tuna where all their needs and comforts are attended to by their kind and generous hosts--much in the same way that the magnificently sentient whales are not being "harvested" but merely grouped together for scenic country hikes to see the spectacular vistas of Bataan.

As someone who is relentlessy proud of my slavish, fetishistic adulation of Japanese food culture, the knowledge of which makes me clearly superior to other people, I violently object to the prejudice-based insinuations at the core of this hysteria-induced "news" article and its reports of "environmental" damage.

There goes Ray's the Catch? I hope not.

I've often said that there are many fishermen who would catch the last fish of a species, then cry to everyone else because they lost their livelihood. So Michael, I propose your fish restaurant should be only extremely threatened fish. Call it "Ray's the Last One" and we can all have our last bit of patagonian toothfish, orange roughy, Grand Banks cod, shark-fin soup, and o-toro sashimi. Maybe add some field to the stream, and put spotted owl and whooping crane on the menu too, with Borneo pygmy elephant sauce.

The average weight of recreationally landed BFT has increased substantially over the last several years. Page 8

Bigger fish = more eggs

While the overall stocks are in dire straits, a NOAA migratory species expert has assured me that “it will be a pretty ef’n good summer” for non-commercial (dayboat) NY/NJ/RI/MA fishermen as a specific group of blue fin tuna that they have been monitoring for a few years has worked its way up the eastern coast to New England.

Weak hooks” (hooks that fail under a prescribed weight) are being tested in the Gulf of Mexico to ensure that the big ones (most likely to reproduce) and other non-targeted species can free themselves from commercial long lines.