Beer *and* Wine Dinner (and Rum and Bourbon Desserts)

Skipper10

Over the last several years I've been to "wine dinners" and I've been to "beer dinners" ( dog fish head being the last one ) all around $100 - $150 a person, and now I have been to a "beer and wine" dinner prepared by a creative and ambitious, some say talented young chef. I can't help wondering is this a new trend? Am I the only one not sure that beer followed by variety of white wines including sparkling ones is not quite right for the taste buds? Do people really drink beer and wine during the same multi course meal?

Skipper

I did tonight.

(Switched to beer because the wine was so middling and the pours were so miserly.)

Cheers,

Rocks

Sorry you were served middling wine,...been there, done that, in the heat of the summer even mediocre cold beer is better than lousy wine, but I am talking about $$$ meal, billed as "big deal" served in a restaurant that usually features amazing guest chefs....

My question is whether this is a new trend, or whether is was "once in a life time" experiment. I don't think I can learn to pair beer and wine in the same meal. Skipper

Both Jarad Slipp in his Nectar days and Andy from CityZen have thrown the odd beer into largely wine-centric dinners. Andy also served beer to Tommy Keller, who was at the next table, dressed in all black, looking intense.

If it helps, Slipp served something British with the cheese. A porter, maybe. Andy served a very crisp, hoppy, German thing with a chili consumee and, as I recall, three more beers (small glasses) with the cheese, but things were a little blurry by then.

As to whether or not it's a trend, I'm sure that every possible combination of booze and food is now in play. I seem to recall reading of a degustation (Eve?) accompanied by a series of cocktails. Why worry? It's supposed to be fun. Just as the Red Queen could believe six impossible things before breakfast, I'm sure we can all learn to pair beer and wine in the same dinner with a little practice.

(And why beer and wine is any odder of a mix than gin, white, red, and fortified -- save for the fact that it's not traditional -- I am unsure.)

So, long as we're talking, who's the "some would say talented" chef, and which restaurant which seems -- by your description, to be known more for its guest chefs than it's top toque?

That is interesting. I have to think about it a bit. I was instantly addicted when I tasted watermelon with red onions and sheep cheese for the first time, even though combination seemed odious on paper. Beer followed by wine did not have the same effect. Maybe it was the pairing. I will dig out the menu and post that and other details later today. Right now, as The White Rabbit said I am in the "No time to say "hello" goodbye! I'm late, I'm late, I'm late!" mode. Skipper

PS: You are right about the top toque, some of the guest chefs are considerably more famous, Jaques Pepin was one of them. By the way, the original of your avatar was photographed there.

We went to a Beer vs. Wine dinner at Brabo a couple of months ago. A great four course dinner and a chance to compare a dish accompanied with wine and then beer (or the other way around depending on the way you decided to sample). Votes were taken to decide whether each course went better with wine or beer and in the final tally the wine won. Now, I won't say this is a booming trend, but it seems to be happening more and more.

Both Jarad Slipp in his Nectar days and Andy from CityZen have thrown the odd beer into largely wine-centric dinners. Andy also served beer to Tommy Keller, who was at the next table, dressed in all black, looking intense.

If it helps, Slipp served something British with the cheese. A porter, maybe. Andy served a very crisp, hoppy, German thing with a chili consumee and, as I recall, three more beers (small glasses) with the cheese, but things were a little blurry by then.

As to whether or not it's a trend, I'm sure that every possible combination of booze and food is now in play. I seem to recall reading of a degustation (Eve?) accompanied by a series of cocktails. Why worry? It's supposed to be fun. Just as the Red Queen could believe six impossible things before breakfast, I'm sure we can all learn to pair beer and wine in the same dinner with a little practice.

(And why beer and wine is any odder of a mix than gin, white, red, and fortified -- save for the fact that it's not traditional -- I am unsure.)

So, long as we're talking, who's the "some would say talented" chef, and which restaurant which seems -- by your description, to be known more for its guest chefs than it's top toque?

The time does fly. Please forgive me for not responding right away. Too many pots on the stove in this heat. I do not recall summer with more record breaking heat and more breaking news. Moreover, every time I had a chance to post I was attempting to put pix of the food, and every time I failed I just gave up.

The chef in question is Spike Mendelsohn. He seemed very charming, funny, people oriented and sure of himself without being cocky... No, he did not wear a hat. He has more hair on his head than 3 normal human beings. I have never seen anyone with so much hair. He said he became Spike early on because his real name is Evangelos? Evangelis? sp? He has a lovely girlfriend, skinny as a rail who, we were told, tries to cook for him every night and is getting better. His sister, reportedly, has or had some connection to WaPo. The restaurant was Four Seasons at the National Press Club. The menu:

EAT UP - Uncle D's Chili, Southern Style Cornbread Served with Brooklyn Lager

FRESH FROM THE FARM- Classic wedge (he gave us anti-mesclun tirade) Cliff's Homegrown Vidalia Onion Petals served with Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay

AWARD WINNING BASH BURGERS - Prez Obama Burger, Coletti's Smokehouse Burger, Spikes Village Fries and Vidalia Onions Petals, Mac'N Cheese served with HopBack Amber Ale

SPIKE DOES VEG - Celery Root, Potato and Pear Gratin, Bacon wrapped Asparagus, Grilled Watermellon, Yuzu & Feta Salad served with Delamotte Brut Champagne

BRING ON THE BRAIN FREEZE - Toasted Marshmallow Shake with Jack Daniels, Soursop Hop Strawberry Shake with Tommy Bahama Rum, Milkky Way Malt with Eagle Rare Bourbon

The food was served "family style" and there was way too much of it.

The dinner was preceded by a cocktail party where beer, white wine and several different kinds of appetizers, mostly delicious, but rather heavy deep fried veggies in batter were served. (There was NO red wine) Most of the food was very good, but there was way too much of it. Those of us who had appetizers did taste most of his veggy dishes because we were full. The liquid dessert was amazing. His cornbread was probably the best one I had in a very longtime, he makes it with honey, sweetened condensed milk & creamed corn. "Onion petals" seemed a bit pretentious on the menu, but the onion slices did look like petals and actually tasted quite good. He basically served comfort food "his way," adding little touches here and there and taking tired food items out of the rot.

Despite all the things I enjoyed on his menu I did not care for alternating wine and beer one after another. I have no problem switching once from wine to beer or beer to wine during an evening, I did not enjoy alternating them. I do hope it does not become a trend.

Skipper