Dress Codes

bilrus

I have a dilemma. A friend of mine and his wife are in town for the weekend and we are supposed to be meeting them for dinner tonight. They are staying at the Hotel Monaco near MCI. I was originally thinking about Zaytinya or Andale if we wanted to saty in the nieghborhhod, or maybe trying to get a res a Komi if we wanted to venture a little farther.

So my dilemma is that my buddy forgot to pack anything other than shorts. I don't ever wear shorts to restaurants, but I also tend to be a little overdressed at a lot of places. So I'm at a loss.

Anyone have any ideas of places we could go? I'm not sure how adventurous they are so very ethnic places might not work.

Thanks for the last minute help.

Edited by bilrus

I think if you ate early enough in that MCI Center neighborhood you'd be fine at a number of places. You're in a tourist hub there, so I don't think it's unexpected to see shorts making an appearance.

But, because we do care about fellow diners, that's why I suggest going earlier.

Why not dine at Poste?

That was my original plan and I had reservations there on Open Table, but they ate there last night when they got in.

Unfortunately they have plans until 7 or so, so early doesn't work really well, either.

Edited by bilrus

That was my original plan and I had reservations there on Open Table, but they ate there last night when they got in.

Unfortunately they have plans until 7 or so, so early doesn't work really well, either.

It is always better to be a bit overdressed than underdressed any time. Without sounding trite, could your buddy run to the Hechts at Metro Center and pick up a pair of pants. The meal at Komi would be worth the expenditure. Otherwise maybe find a place with a patio, terraced dining is often more casual no matter the restaurant

I appreciate the suggestions that he go buy a pair of pants, but I'm not going to ask a good friend to buy a pair of pants just to go to dinner. I might give him some shit about it, but I'm not going to seriously suggest it.

I'm looking more for alternatives where it is ok to actually wear shorts.

Right now I'm leaning towards Matchbox or Sette's patio but I was at Sette two weeks ago.

Thanks for the suggestions. We sarted out going to Matchbox, but the 45 minute wait prompted a call to Zaytinya to see if we could get on the patio. We could and did. Without so much as a sideways glance. And we had a nice, pleasant meal catching up with some friends we hadn't seen in a long time.

I wouldn't have wanted to do that at 9:30 inside, but at 7:30 outisde, it worked just fine.

Zaytinya may not be the new, cutting edge feeling place it once was, but it is reliable and sure to impress out-of-town guests. And sitting on the corner of the patio with a gentle breeze, surrounded by trees as we did made us feel (aside from a siren and a few honking horns) as if we were a little removed from the city.

Edited by bilrus

I cannot think of any other bar or restaurant in Arlington that enforces a dress code except, oddly, Mr. Days across the street from Eleventh Street. Maybe it's just a neighborhood thing. More likely, I need to upgrade my social haunts........

I cannot think of any other bar or restaurant in Arlington that enforces a dress code except, oddly, Mr. Days across the street from Eleventh Street. Maybe it's just a neighborhood thing. More likely, I need to upgrade my social haunts........
I've seen clarendon ballroom enforce a dresscode before. By the way, Mr. Days wouldn't let me in wearing a hockey jersey. Ironic that a sportsbar won't let you wear sports jerseys in the bar. I can also think of about 10 bars in Georgetown, not more than a couple of miles from clarendon that enforce their dress codes very strictly. I can even think of one that has a 25 year old minimum to get into. Every bar is going for their own thing. Personally, I tend to go to the Reef in Adams Morgan- no dress code whatsoever. I've worn a tux in there, I've worn a suit, I've worn my running clothes in there. And still they let me come back in.

I can also think of about 10 bars in Georgetown, not more than a couple of miles from clarendon that enforce their dress codes very strictly. I can even think of one that has a 25 year old minimum to get into. Every bar is going for their own thing. Personally, I tend to go to the Reef in Adams Morgan- no dress code whatsoever. I've worn a tux in there, I've worn a suit, I've worn my running clothes in there. And still they let me come back in.

Cheers: regularly getting onion soup at BdC after skating practice whilst still wearing that black spandex getup.

Jeers: denied access to skanky Paper Moon because a member of our party wore tennis shoes.

Had dinner at Zaytinya Saturday night and was amazed at how many people walk up in t-shirts looking pretty ratty. Most folks there dress well and those in T-Shirts appear to be the minority. This is not your college tail gate or your own backyard, come on folks..step up your game.

Had dinner at Zaytinya Saturday night and was amazed at how many people walk up in t-shirts looking pretty ratty. Most folks there dress well and those in T-Shirts appear to be the minority. This is not your college tail gate or your own backyard, come on folks..step up your game.

It's up to the restaurants to enforce their dress codes. My wife recently had her torn ACL repaired, as a result she can't wear heels. So she asked me if she could wear flip flops to Volt and I told her no (she wore less cute flats instead). Of course we see all kinds of ratty get-up at Volt and my wife just about kicked my ass. When we were at Komi, there were people walking in with shorts but they were turned away (not sure if it's because they don't have reservation or were turned away as a result of their attire).

I like t-shirts as well but do they really have a place for mid to high end dining. Yes if you are going to the Bar at Matchbox but no if you are going to the Bar at proof. yes if you are dining at the Vienna Inn but no if you are dining at Komi or PS7.

Eh, tourist season is upon us and the Penn Quarter has one of the most convenient sets of restaurants coming in from the Mall. It's not ideal but it is to be expected, particularly at this time of year. I remember dining at Corduroy in the old location and seeing lots of families obviously staying at the hotel come in dressed in very casual attire...

why does it matter what other people were wearing?

I remember dining at Corduroy in the old location and seeing lots of families obviously staying at the hotel come in dressed in very casual attire...

The first time we went to the old Corduroy was a couple summers back on a particularly warm night. My wife wore a nice sleeveless top, a pair of white designer shorts and heels. They turned us away because of their 'no shorts' policy, which I found odd after seeing a family sitting at a table all dressed in t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers. I think it's good to have a dress code, and I know that one was put in place to keep people from wearing cargo shorts and the like into the restaurant, but I found it a little odd that they would turn us away and take in people who were dressed for a backyard BBQ.

Plain t-shirts or ones with pics/words/logos on them? I think plain tees can look ok, even for a higher-end restaurant.

Times are changing.

Perhaps not for the better. Honestly, I'm flabbergasted when I read posts that say things like "it was great not to have to worry about what to wear", etc. I am beginning to think that casual attire in nicer restaurants has gone too far. Must one wear a t-shirt and jeans or shorts to be comfortable? Is it that difficult to put on a collared shirt and a pair of trousers (or heaven forbid, a jacket and tie)?

I understand the need/desire to wear casual clothes to bars, neighborhood bistros, etc, as Marks mentioned. But, in a restaurant like PS7 or Citronelle, they are making an effort - shouldn't the diner meet the restaurant halfway?

I like t-shirts as well but do they really have a place for mid to high end dining. Yes if you are going to the Bar at Matchbox but no if you are going to the Bar at proof. yes if you are dining at the Vienna Inn but no if you are dining at Komi or PS7.

I agree. I have all sorts of views on the casualness of dress at certain restaurants (and don't even get me started on how some people dress when going to the theater!). Maybe this makes me a dining elitist, but I think there is a time and place for casual dress, and as you stated Proof, PS7, Corduroy etc is not that place. Now I think dark or nice jeans and a button down shirt or cute blouse is fine for some of these places. But not your favorite t-shirt sporting the name of your college on it.

Maybe it's a more old-fashioned view point but I think it also has to do with respect for your surrondings and the food you are about to be served.

I love getting dolled up. Whenever I and those around me go a step above casual, I say, "Well don't we all look nice!"

But come on. Anyone whose monocle falls out at the shock and alarm of someone in a restaurant wearing jeans is just begging for an ass whooping from the Snooty Fairy.

Or, as my wife calls me when I insist on the finer things, "Monsieur Fancypants" (pronounced all French-like: mis-yuhr fawn-see-pawnz).

Stupid tourist season.

I absolutely loved it last year when I heard that some restaurant wouldn't let a party dine there because they were wearing flip flops (they were from like L.A. and insisted they were important too). Had I not been studying for the bar I would have gone to patronize that restaurant right away and thanked them.

I agree t-shirts have their place, but middle to fine dining it just doesn't have the same atmosphere when dining when people are in their crocs, flops and t-shirts. If they pull the Michael Kors and have a t-shirt under their jacket then it's ok. Part of what you pay for dining out is an experience, and I appreciate a pleasant experience and feeling like it is somewhat special not just an everyday thing when I am dining at a nice place (which is a little ironic because the people eating out everyday are normally wearing suits).

I agree. I have all sorts of views on the casualness of dress at certain restaurants (and don't even get me started on how some people dress when going to the theater!). Maybe this makes me a dining elitist, but I think there is a time and place for casual dress, and as you stated Proof, PS7, Corduroy etc is not that place. Now I think dark or nice jeans and a button down shirt or cute blouse is fine for some of these places. But not your favorite t-shirt sporting the name of your college on it.

Maybe it's a more old-fashioned view point but I think it also has to do with respect for your surroundings and the food you are about to be served.

I definitely think it's a more old-fashioned view point. But, there's nothing wrong with that. Similarly, I don't see anything wrong with someone going to Proof in a t-shirt. I also see no problem if Proof wants to turn them away. In any scenario, diners simply need to weigh all these factors and decide where they want to dine. How important is it to you to be surrounded by well-dressed diners? How important is it to the 25-year-old to be able to wear a t-shirt and have a fancy meal?

And, "respect for...the food you are about to be served" is certainly a "dining elitist" type of comment. Again, nothing wrong with that. This message board is full of people who know what they are talking about. However, one must realize that 99% of the people dining out aren't the type of people on this message board. The average poster here can probably rattle off 50 DC chefs off the top of their head. The average diner might be able to come up with one...as long as that one is on Food TV or was appeared on an episode of American Idol.

The dcdining.com world is a different one than the general population. And as someone who is more like the general population, I love that about this place. My dining frequency has declined greatly the last few years. However, the quality of my dining has skyrocketed since finding this place a couple years ago. You guys are the experts; in the top 1% of the population when it comes to dining. You know the dos and don'ts. But, you have to realize most don't know and they never will. In fact, they are the ones who will change the dos and don'ts, especially in areas such as how to dress. If the restaurants you love are going to remain successful and thrive, they will be forced to change to accommodate society's changes. They can't survive only off of the business of the top 1%.

Getting dressed up is a fun part of doing something special. It adds to the excitement of dining out. It's celebratory. I'd hate to think we're all so jaded that we can't even bring ourselves to gussy up for an experience at a nice restaurant.

I grew up in New Orleans, a city consumed with food and restaurants (pre-Katrina, certainly). My mother always said that wearing shorts and a t-shirt to a fine restaurant was the sure sign of a tourist in New Orleans. Locals would never disrespect the experience by failing to dress properly.

I don't want the family having a once-a-year experience in a fine restaurant, or the couple getting engaged, or the old friends celebrating a lifetime of memories to have that experience diminished by tables of people in shorts and flip flops. It's not just about one person's comfort in his or her own slovenliness, it's about the courtesy to everyone else.

I don't think it's fair to blame this on "tourist season." Rather, as with everything else, it's the economy. Imagine a couple at home preparing to go to a nice restaurant that they suspect might have a dress code.

A: I don't feel like dressing up, but they might have a dress code.

B: What restaurant in this economy is going to turn us away because of what we're wearing? I dare them to.

A: I guess that's right. Now, where did I put my Redskins zubaz?

John Stuart Mill on homo economicus: “an arbitrary definition of man, as a being who inevitably does that by which he may obtain the greatest amount of necessaries, conveniences, and luxuries, with the smallest quantity of labour and physical self-denial with which they can be obtained.”

..and they should get the same quality and service of food to match their attire...

I'll make sure to show up to your house for dinner in white tie, no matter the occasion.

Some of the attitudes here are a little ridiculous. A restauranteur should set the tone she wants to set at her establishment. If the Prime Rib wants to require coat and tie, they should. If Michael Landrum wants to own a top-notch steakhouse that doesn't care if you wear jeans and a polo, he should. Neither choice is better than the other.

Nothing says that you've given up on life like wearing flip flops and/or sweatpants out to dinner.

Some would argue that wearing a suit to work says so even more.

Point is, we all have our lives, and who really has time to judge the guy sitting next to him or can even ever presume to know?

I'll make sure to show up to your house for dinner in white tie, no matter the occasion.
Once you receive the engraved invitation, you'll be more then welcome wearing white tie (as long as you tie it yourself and don't wear one of those ridiculous manufactured things). Dinner jackets after 6:00pm please, and I expect your gentleman's gentleman to come around with your calling card first.

Some would argue that wearing a suit to work says so even more.

So true. Nothing like wearing out on the town what you would also end up being buried in. Then let's talk about the metaphorical noose tied around one's neck.

Suits are for schmucks.

So true. Nothing like wearing out on the town what you would also end up being buried in. Then let's talk about the metaphorical noose tied around one's neck.

Suits are for schmucks.

So are you saying Barack Obama is a schmuck because he wore a suit at Equinox and Citronelle? Just curious.

So are you saying Barack Obama is a schmuck because he wore a suit at Equinox and Citronelle? Just curious.

Maybe I should show up in a tank tap, cut of shorts and a pair of crocs!! And drink Dom from the bottle!!

Possibly. Hey, if you're comfortable in, and actually enjoy wearing hard shoes, a stiff shirt, heavy pants and coat, and a silk rope around your neck, well, knock yourself out. But I think we'd all be a little better off leaving the official uniform of tightassitude in the goodwill bin of history.

He wore that suit for the same reason he hasn't done what he promised to do about gay marriage-- evidently the powers that be (many of whom wear suits), ain't ready for such radical departures from their precious traditions.

Respectfully,

Former Suit Wearer and occasional caver when I go to Marcel's or something-- but HEY, I leave the TIE at HOME.

I think that dressing up when you go out to eat is a sure sign of respect to the chef and the place you are dining in, I ate at the french laundry in 2004 and during dinner will smith came in wearing a sweat suit, i had henna penna for him. They gave him a sport jacket to wear, anyways my point is we all work hard right? And so do a lot of other chefs out there, I think that if the place warrants it then why not dress up, for the chef the experience the beautiful lady or handsome man your with. I think my apron feels just about the same as a tie and I'm proud to wear it.

If you have an employer and such employer has a business casual policy, would you wear jeans to work? I didn't (at least not regularly, I wore sweats or jeans to work on snow days). But people do flout restaurant dress codes on a regular basis. Why?

I don't like the hassle of wearing suits everyday and I'm glad we're business casual except when we have client meetings but I'm not uncomfortable wearing my suits. In fact, perfectly tailored suits are much more flattering to my middle aged body than the size small Polos that I bought when I was a little slimmer.

White-collar conservatives flashing down the street, pointing their plastic fingers at me.

Hoping that my kind will drop and die, but I'm gonna wave my freak flag high.

Fall mountains just don't fall on me. Go ahead on, Mister Businessman, you can't dress like me.

Don't nobody know what I'm talking about.

I've got my own life to live. I'm the one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die.

White-collar conservatives flashing down the street, pointing their plastic fingers at me.

Hoping that my kind will drop and die, but I'm gonna wave my freak flag high.

Fall mountains just don't fall on me. Go ahead on, Mister Businessman, you can't dress like me.

Don't nobody know what I'm talking about.

I've got my own life to live. I'm the one who's gonna die when it's time for me to die.

You know who never walked down the street in a pair of jeans and whatever t-shirt was at the top of the pile when happy hour came around (and fucking flip-flops -- this weekend I'm cutting off some big toes. You've been warned)?

Jimi.

I agree. I have all sorts of views on the casualness of dress at certain restaurants (and don't even get me started on how some people dress when going to the theater!).

I am still trying to understand how what someone else wears interferes with your or anyone's enjoyment of dinner. Please help me. Are your dining companions so boring that you need to scan the room and critique what others are wearing? Do the suits and dresses that they wear have to be a certain style?

And don't get me started on people bitching on what people wear when going to the theater! Please! I will, as usual, be wearing jeans and a t-shirt to the next show I attend.