Steak n' Things, Lorton and Burke

Judging from the looks of their website, this little place recently moved from down the street - the address on the web is different, the name "George" is nowhere to be found, but the menu is virtually the same.

It's a fairly typical, short-order mom-n-pop strip-mall joint, and I've often found that a Steak & Cheese Sub ($9.49 for 12") is the safest way to go at these types of places, today being no exception. It was a good sandwich, using what they call "porterhouse steak," sliced and grilled with onions, green peppers, and mushrooms, all thrown together and chopped on the grill, then placed on a standard sub roll with a thin layer of mayo and - the weakest link - a mixture of white American and Swiss, perhaps done in a sauce. They'd be doing both themselves and their customers a big favor if they'd just use a couple pieces of mild Provolone, even industrial Provolone.

It fit the bill for a starving 13-year-old who just finished a 3-hour tennis clinic.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Judging from the looks of their website, this little place recently moved from down the street - the address on the web is different, the name "George" is nowhere to be found, but the menu is virtually the same.

It's a fairly typical, short-order mom-n-pop strip-mall joint, and I've often found that a Steak & Cheese Sub ($9.49 for 12") is the safest way to go at these types of places, today being no exception. It was a good sandwich, using what they call "porterhouse steak," sliced and grilled with onions, green peppers, and mushrooms, all thrown together and chopped on the grill, then placed on a standard sub roll with a thin layer of mayo and - the weakest link - a mixture of white American and Swiss, perhaps done in a sauce. They'd be doing both themselves and their customers a big favor if they'd just use a couple pieces of mild Provolone, even industrial Provolone.

It fit the bill for a starving 13-year-old who just finished a 3-hour tennis clinic.

Cheers,

Rocks.

And nary a Lebanese item to be found on the menu, lest a lamb-beef gyro counts. The "Mexican Corner" is a bit unusual for a Lebanese owner, but maybe it's an homage to Salma Hayek, who is half Mexican and half Lebanese.

My ILs live in Fairfax Station and the delivery options are pretty sparse out there. This place is actually on the rotation and I have to just comment that I am amused to see it mentioned on this site at all. I think the nicest thing I can say is that it's serviceable.

Kibbee Nayee, I think it's fair to assume the gyro uses the "masonite meat." Sigh.