Mambossam, "Chicken Land Pig Princess" - Korean in Centreville Square - Closed

I haven't been to this place, and in fact the main reason I feel compelled to start a thread is its bizarre and humorous signage: "Chicken Land Pig Princess". This seems like it should be one of those "punctuation saves lives" situations, but I'm not quite sure how. (For the record, Fairfax County's records indicate that there should be a hyphen and some spaces separating 'Land' and 'Pig'. Because 'Land-pig' would be even weirder.)

Anyway, it's clearly a Korean joint, and the photos on this Korean-language website look appealing enough (a recent health inspection report, less so). Has anybody been? And if so...what's up with "pig princess"?

I was headed to Pho Hot, noticed this place, and remembered this thread so I went in.

Ordered the rice with boiled squid in a spicy sauce. She took one look at me and said, "It's spicy." I think she ended up putting my order in as medium, but I'm not sure. It was spicy without being over the top, so I'm guessing it was medium. Came with kimchi, soup, and a couple sides I had no idea what to do with. A lot of the squid was way too tough, but overall it was a tasty dish. Korean isn't usually high on my list, so I'm not sure what to say. It has a pretty large menu; probably over 50 items, ranging from $7 to about $30.

The marquee says "MOM BOSSAM" and the carry out menu seems to have it as "MOMBO SSAM".

a couple sides I had no idea what to do with.The marquee says "MOM BOSSAM" and the carry out menu seems to have it as "MOMBO SSAM".

Welcome to the world of panchan (or side dishes if you prefer). I don't know about you, but I like the radish and kimchi and spicy bean sprouts and acorn jelly and whatever other panchan items end up on the table. Koreans are famous for many, many small dishes of panchan, you eat them with (or in addition) to your meal. If you finish something you particularly like, you ask for more. Sometime you get it, some times you don't.

The word bossam means "wrap". (Grover will be along shortly and tell you what it really means but you can go with "wrap" for the Mee-Guk short term)