Dirty Habit (Formerly Poste), Hotel Monaco, Verizon Center - "Insane Asylum" Theme Replaces Poste's Urbane Setting

We would have licked the casseroles clean, if a potential Supreme Court nominee hadn't been dining at the other occupied table in the room off the bar, where we were sitting.

Oh, the intrigue. One who lives in DC already??

I needed a semi-special occasion dinner reservation at the last minute, so I made a 5:30 reservation at Poste this evening. My bf and I live close by, so we walked there. Of course, even during the short walk the near-100 degree weather was oppressive, and I was expecting that Poste would have adequate air conditioning to contend with the heat. Unfortunately, they did not. The kitchen is wide open to the dining room itself, and although I'm sure that fact greatly added to the heat, I am also sure that they could have turned the air up to achieve a more appropriate dining temperature. I am not trying to be a snob about this, but if I'm paying in the $30 per entree range, I expect the entire dining experience to be top notch. I don't know how anyone is supposed to eat dishes like Beef Bourguignon or Braised Rabbit in a 90 degree room.

We certainly didn't want to try our luck on that gamble, so we left before ordering and walked around the corner to Cedar instead. Best decision I've made in a while--Cedar was amazing. I posted about it in the Cedar thread. Looking forward to going back to Poste for another shot during colder months. Their outdoor patios and the restaurant itself are pretty enchanting but the temperature issues were simply unacceptable.

90 degree room.

Really or is this an exaggeration? Maybe their A/C failed, it's been known to happen.

And then I read your other post:

I think having an open kitchen dining room on a 100 degree day without properly adjusted air conditioning is insane

I think this is insane. There's no possible way they negligently (or are stupid enough) kept the dining room at 90 degrees as you implied.

Really or is this an exaggeration? Maybe their A/C failed, it's been known to happen.

And then I read your other post:

I think this is insane. There's no possible way they negligently (or are stupid enough) kept the dining room at 90 degrees as you implied.

You weren't there. It's her experience.

We certainly didn't want to try our luck on that gamble, so we left before ordering and walked around the corner to Cedar instead. Best decision I've made in a while--Cedar was amazing. I posted about it in the Cedar thread. Looking forward to going back to Poste for another shot during colder months. Their outdoor patios and the restaurant itself are pretty enchanting but the temperature issues were simply unacceptable.

What was the point of this review? Just to complain and make a restaurant look bad? It sounds like the AC was broken, I'm sure they were aware of it. They were working in it all day. But it's a Friday night, you can't exactly find someone to fix your AC on a drop of the dime. (Trust me I know, my AC broke last summer. It was the worst 3 nights of sleep in my entire life.) Let's try to keep in mind that this is people's livelihood that we are playing with. Forget the owners, but the servers, hosts, bus boys, chefs, etc. But most importantly, YOU DIDN'T EVEN TRY THE FOOD! Your "review" of Poste should be taken off. It's one thing if people don't like the food and write a terrible review, that's completely fair. But it's another for people to come on these sites (DR, chowhound, yelp, urbanspoon) and just trash a place because they are in a bad mood. People like you give these sites a bad name.

I needed a semi-special occasion dinner reservation at the last minute, so I made a 5:30 reservation at Poste this evening. My bf and I live close by, so we walked there. Of course, even during the short walk the near-100 degree weather was oppressive, and I was expecting that Poste would have adequate air conditioning to contend with the heat. Unfortunately, they did not. The kitchen is wide open to the dining room itself, and although I'm sure that fact greatly added to the heat, I am also sure that they could have turned the air up to achieve a more appropriate dining temperature. I am not trying to be a snob about this, but if I'm paying in the $30 per entree range, I expect the entire dining experience to be top notch. I don't know how anyone is supposed to eat dishes like Beef Bourguignon or Braised Rabbit in a 90 degree room.

Thank you for your entry on this restaurant. While it will not stop me from going there, it is useful information about your experience with "Washington DC Restaurants and Dining," the topic of this section.

Thank you for your entry on this restaurant. While it will not stop me from going there, it is useful information about your experience with "Washington DC Restaurants and Dining," the topic of this section.

The post was informative. What I find surprising is that nobody from the restaurant mentioned or was asked about a problem with the AC. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that the hot environment was intentional.

The post was informative. What I find surprising is that nobody from the restaurant mentioned or was asked about a problem with the AC. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think that the hot environment was intentional.

One of the major problems with restaurants that have open kitchens is that the hood fans suck everything, including AC, into them.

Wow, I had no idea that of the two posts I wrote about my recent night out, the one with the actual detailed restaurant review would be much less important than the one where I simply noted that the restaurant had interior temperature problems. I will clarify my earlier post regarding Poste in response to the many follow-up comments posted here.

First:

No possible way? That's a very arrogant assertion unless you were there that evening. As I stated, I arrived at the restaurant early in the evening when it was still sweltering outside, a heat index hovering around 100 degrees, and when I walked inside the dining room of Poste, I could not feel the kind of difference in temperature that you would expect to feel at a place in this price range. It is difficult for me to quote the restaurant interior's actual temperature since I did not see a thermostat, but I usually keep my home thermostat in the summer at 79 and it felt much, much warmer than that. The restaurant is very open, with high ceilings, a door to the lobby that is always open, and doors leading to the patio that are frequently opening, as well as what I mentioned before--a totally open kitchen right in the main dining area. Given all of these constraints, it is understandable why it is probably difficult for the restaurant to maintain cool temperatures during the hottest months of the year. But while it is understandable, it does not make it acceptable. All I can do is raise my concern to the people who work there and see what happens. Of course I do not think that the restaurant intended to have the dining room be a hot temperature, but maybe that temperature is normal for them in the summer. Maybe the A/C was broke but they did not want to tell me that for some reason. Maybe it's insanely expensive to properly cool the dining room given its many constraints. All I know is what I experienced, which I truthfully detailed here.

I don't have any odd temperature sensitivities, and I have never before left a restaurant over the temperature, but I wanted to post about this issue I had at Poste because I don't think it was a fluke. I spoke with the hostess when we got up to leave and expressed my concern, and she apologized but did not say that anything was particularly amiss (no broken air conditioning, e.g.). The comfort of an expensive dining room is an important factor for many people when they go out to eat, and I stand behind my original post.

Second:

What was the point of this review? Just to complain and make a restaurant look bad? It sounds like the AC was broken, I'm sure they were aware of it. They were working in it all day. But it's a Friday night, you can't exactly find someone to fix your AC on a drop of the dime. (Trust me I know, my AC broke last summer. It was the worst 3 nights of sleep in my entire life.) Let's try to keep in mind that this is people's livelihood that we are playing with. Forget the owners, but the servers, hosts, bus boys, chefs, etc. But most importantly, YOU DIDN'T EVEN TRY THE FOOD! Your "review" of Poste should be taken off. It's one thing if people don't like the food and write a terrible review, that's completely fair. But it's another for people to come on these sites (DR, chowhound, yelp, urbanspoon) and just trash a place because they are in a bad mood. People like you give these sites a bad name.

No sir, I believe it is you that gives these sites a bad name, with overblown knee-jerk reactions written anonymously so that you can say whatever you please. I wrote a detailed, fair review of my experience at Poste. You might even care to notice that I stated that I look forward to returning to Poste in colder months to give it another shot, and that the restaurant and its patios were enchanting (in their design). I meant those sentiments.

As for your other claims: I did not trash this place, and I wasn't in a "bad mood." The food, while admittedly the most important part of a dining out experience, is still one part of an overall experience. In that experience, many elements affect one's overall assessment of a restaurant. Even if an expensive restaurant has the very best food, I would choose to patronize another restaurant if its service, ambiance, etc. was so terrible that I was unable to enjoy that great food. On the evening that I went to Poste, I recognized that the situation in the dining room was such that I would not be able to enjoy any dish that wasn't meant to be served chilled. Most of their offerings that night were heavy, hot dishes. As a result, I chose to leave, and I wrote about it on here so that maybe other people, many whom may not live within walking distance like me, are at least put on notice that this could be an issue for them. Additionally, you stated "I'm sure they were aware of it. They were working on it all day." Do you work there? As I wrote above, no one told me that anything was out of the ordinary. I spoke to two different hostesses about the temperature within a 15 minute time frame, as well as our server, and no one said anything that would even imply that something at the restaurant was out of the ordinary.

Thank you to the few people who wrote in support of my post. I am a new member, and I was surprised to be attacked so harshly with my first few posts but I will remain on the forum, hopeful that not all reactions will be so negative.

If this forum is strictly for reviews about FOOD and not reviews about RESTAURANTS as a whole, then the moderator is free to take my Poste review down. But that is not my impression of what this forum is, and until I get a definitive answer otherwise, I will continue to accurately and fairly report my impressions of the dining establishments I either patronize or attempt to patronize.

I spoke with the hostess when we got up to leave and expressed my concern, and she apologized but did not say that anything was particularly amiss (no broken air conditioning, e.g.).

If you asked and they declined to explain why the room is so warm, then I owe you an apology. I don't doubt it was warm but I would never accuse a restaurant of being so inept as to intentionally keep a dining room at 90 degrees - maybe they're trying to be green.

I spoke to two different hostesses about the temperature within a 15 minute time frame, as well as our server, and no one said anything that would even imply that something at the restaurant was out of the ordinary.

Actually, thank for you taking the time to add this note. I was curious whether you'd asked specifically if there was a malfunction, because I think if this is just a standard issue for this restaurant, that's useful information. I quite like the space at Poste, but I lose my appetite when I'm in very hot and humid spaces, so if they just aren't able to keep the space cool when it's a gazillion degrees out, I take that as a helpful note -- not one that judges the place or its food, but merely notes, "Hey, warmer-than-average when hot." Conversely, if it was just a broken air conditioner unit, I wouldn't have to worry on those 100+ days.

Weinoo has a whole post on his blog -- and a discussion starting here -- about too-hot restaurants; just my opinion, but I think it's perfectly valid to discuss, and no one should be attacking anyone for sharing information.

(PS Every time I read your screen name, I hear Jack Donaghy barking "Lemon!" Totally reflexive, but I laugh each time.)

It has been really humid lately and the moisture in the air can also make a room feels hotter. Poste is an upscale place and one can easily spend $100 per person here, therefore, its reasonable for someone to expect at least a certain level of physical comfort while dining here.

Some people hate air-conditioning, complaining that homes, offices, restaurants are too cold. I have a friend who always wears a sweater or pashmina shawl in my home, summer or winter because she "grew up without air conditioning," in Mexico, and prefers warmth. She never uses the air conditioner in her Bethesda home, and I can't stand to be there in the summer.

Personally, I am heat intolerant and turn into a human slug when I am in an environment above 80 degrees, unless there is water and a jacuzzi involved. That is one of the main reasons that I had no future in restaurant kitchens. Some people might find a very warm dining room preferable to a cool, air conditioned one and would have a delightful experience at Poste during the summer. I would not be one of them, but in either case it is helpful information to know that Poste, indoors or out, can be very warm--ideal for some, but not for Ms. Lemon or me.

When I was there last night for the 20 Bites the temperature in the restaurant was fine, it was a bit warm at the counter, but that is overlooking the kitchen. Oh, and if you love heirloom tomatoes go for either 20 Bites or the tomato tasting menu and you will not be disappointed.

When I was there last night for the 20 Bites the temperature in the restaurant was fine, it was a bit warm at the counter, but that is overlooking the kitchen.

Next time say hi. I stopped by to squeeze in a Rickey . . . air conditioning in a glass, as I hear.

Next time say hi. I stopped by to squeeze in a Rickey . . . air conditioning in a glass, as I hear.

You may have witnessed my wife fall on her butt when trying to get off of one of those impossibly high stools at the 20 Bites counter - she misjudged the floor by about a foot.

Had a slightly annoying experience at Poste two nights ago. We went there to meet some friends after the caps game. Sat on the patio and was told we could only order drinks, so we tried to order coffee, no we couldn't have coffee on the patio either. So we went inside, the dining room was closing, but we could sit in the lounge area. Luckily there was one table that would seat four. Fine. So we finally sit down and order iced teas and club soda as they didn't have a menu with coffee or espresso and we didn't know what was available, not on the drink menu, not on the dessert menu (we were with friends who don't drink so normally we try to go places with decent non-alcoholic options). But we just wanted to spend time with our friends so it was fine. Look at the dessert menu and there is only one gluten free option, a panna cotta of yogurt. Well since I eat yogurt almost everyday I wasn't very interested in that so I asked if I could have a bowl of the ice creams they have with other items, sure no problem they say. It comes out and there are three little, itsy bitsy spoons of ice cream, you know the small little ovals you get alongside another dessert. I was going to share with my Hubby, but he felt bad it was so small so I ate it by myself. Now they were a fine size if they were by a dessert, but when you just order that it was a bit ridiculous. I have no idea what they charged as our friends picked up the tab, but I am sure it was way too much.

Anyway won't do that again...

Fourteen of us celebrated the 50th birthday of one of our number Friday evening at Poste, and enjoyed a dinner centered around the pig roast in a private room. Upon being seated, we were each presented with a flute of the "Kimpton Cuvee", a very nice rose brut from Gloria Ferrer Winery.

An arugula salad with figs, strips of parmesan, and teeny tiny heirloom tomatoes from Poste's own garden (right outside the room we dined in) followed. Between courses, those who were willing to brave the heat enjoyed a tour of the garden conducted by Chef Weland himself (I and another member of our party decided that we had no interest in the steamy outdoors, and remained at table, enjoying the quite adequate air conditioning).

Iron pans of their macaroni and cheese appeared on the table - small elbows of macaroni among savory ingredients that you could fill up on if you were not pacing yourself - I wish I could make mac and cheese like this, it was truly delicious. Another piece of ironware, in a gorgeous egg-shape contained the most delicious sauerkraut I have ever had! Finely shredded with chunks of roasted pork strewn throughout, it was a perfect accompaniment to the roasted pig. I think the sole vegetarian in our group had some too. Grilled peach halves rounded out the side dishes.

Speaking of the pig, a server presented a platter with the head of the pig, which had been split in half for easy access to what ever of the interior guests chose to enjoy. I'm not much for offal, and so can't describe it other than to say that those who partook seemed to enjoy it.

As for the pig, it's massive girth awaited on the side table. The guest of honor was invited to learn how to slice it, and he eagerly accepted the task. Soon, boards of moist pork and crispy skin were circulating around the table. I think they pull the pig out of the fire earlier in the afternoon, so it is not served hot, but it is still delicious. In addition to the flesh, I enjoyed the most well-done portions of crackling skin, as they seemed much tastier than the less-cooked pieces.

Ramekins of what was described as a "pesto", but seemed to be more of a chimichurri sauce were placed around the table, consisting of basil and mint and olive oil, and perhaps parsley. I wasn't crazy about it's paring with the room temperature meat, as the mint turned it into something I thought would go better with a lamb dish.

Two wines flowed, a Central Coast Pinot Noir - Baileyana "Firepeak" from the Edna Valley (served at the correct temperature, thankfully), and for the white, "Evolution" from Sokol Blosser in Oregon, a nice crisp selection. Both were pleasant on a summer evening, although those who seek a dry Pinot would be advised to make another selection.

Before dessert, we were presented with a special beverage from the chef - small cylindrical glasses filled with three layers - my memory is sketchy as to the exact composition, but I think there was a raspberry concoction on the bottom, a homemade orange soda in the center, and creme fraiche ice cream on top, and when you drank it with the straw, you tasted the bottom layer first, and ended with the creme fraiche tasting like cheesecake! Yum!

Dessert was a berry cobbler with scoops of creme fraiche ice cream on top. I skipped dessert, opting instead to finish the last glass of the white wine.

All staff members attending to us were very cordial and helpful, and we enjoyed ourselves tremendously. Having the private room allowed us to carry on without worrying about disturbing other guests.

Wow, over 2 years since someone has posted in here. I had never been and after a gin tasting event in the Living Social building a friend and I stopped in for another drink and something to eat. The truffle frites were delicious. I am guessing double fried - even at the end of our "meal" the last bits were room temperature, but still crispy. Although they didn't need it, I would have liked a little bit of aioli on the side - the ketchup was a mismatch with truffled fries. Regardless, some of the best fries I've had around this area, but you better come ready to eat them because there are a lot, served in a flower pot lined with paper :blink: at the "bargain" price of $10.

After that, my friend got the brasserie burger with a red onion compote, harissa aioli, watercress and "confit" tomato. She ordered it medium and got a medium-well bordering on well done burger. I had a few bites and liked all of the components together but hte burger itself was dense (obviously overcooked) and a bit underseasoned imo. Also, in the midst of summer in an area with a plethora of gorgeous tomatoes in a restaurant that (I thought) prides itself on its garden and locally sourced ingredients, the burger had waht appeared to be an underripe roma tomato with the whole stem end still in tact that was inedible.

I had the roasted asparagus with bechamel sauce and poached egg. I actually asked about the asparagus (see above comment regarding locally sourced ingredients) and the server was kind enough to inquire for me. I was told the name of the farm, but when I tried to look it up online I hit a dead end. My friend claims there are some places in NJ dedicated to greenhouse farming that would have asparagus now. I honestly don't know. Aside from that, I found the bechamel thick and clunky. My egg still had the beautiful runny yolk but it was small and quickly lost in the bechamel. Basically, it was fine but uninspiring.

My friend had a surprisingly boozy bourbon cocktail, a bargain compared to the rest of hte prices. I had 2 glasses of wine, a rose and a gruner veltliner, both enjoyable. However, I felt the wine prices were quite high overall and to that point noticed that the other rose selection was, if memory serves the same one being offered at Graffiato down the street for $12/glass instead of Poste's $14. Service wasn't overwhelming, but I have no complaints there.

The big picture for me - this is a place I would come for happy hour for some fries and a cocktail if I worked in the city. Otherwise, I felt the whole experience but especially the food was underwhelming and the prices too high for what they're offering. I won't be making an effort to get back anytime soon.

• Like 1

The big picture for me - this is a place I would come for happy hour for some fries and a cocktail if I worked in the city. Otherwise, I felt the whole experience but especially the food was underwhelming and the prices too high for what they're offering. I won't be making an effort to get back anytime soon.

You hit the nail on the head.

Interesting commentary in this thread. I've been to Poste and went there for brunch. Overall the crown jewel of my experience was their fully loaded bloody marry bar. Specifically the fact that they had bacon infused vodka and a slew of pickled accessories. Otherwise the food was quite good. We got the mussels, cheese plate, and charcuterie plate.

As mentioned, I have to agree that their bar and patio area is quite nice.

Food was surprisingly mediocre last night from start to finish.  Patio was delightful (weather was perfect), so it'll be a shame if I end up crossing Poste off my list, but if last night had been my first meal there, I would never have returned for a second.  Judging from this thread (which I should have read before going, but it's a place I thought I knew -- we used to go there every couple of months a few years back),  sounds like this is the new normal rather than just an off night.  Too bad. 

I took the last seat at the bar here for a quick dinner before last nights Caps/Habs game. The lamb burger (harissa aioli, Greek yogurt, roasted tomato, pita bread; also seemed to have alfalfa sprouts and a falafel) was tasty, if messy, and came with a bunch of glorious, warm, crisp fries. The "Dickel and Berries" happy hour cocktail (cinnamon infused Dickel, lemon juice, blackberry) tasted, rather hilariously, like Newman's Own Strawberries 'n' Flakes breakfast cereal. I enjoyed it well enough, but I think I would've enjoyed it more if I didn't have the cereal impression.

The Washington Post reports that Poste is closing.  The article says:

"The patio will close April 25, the same day Poste will cease serving weekday lunch. Restaurant service will end May 31.

Chef Kyoo Eom will stay on board. No specific details on the replacement restaurant are currently available."

If Poste is closing this patio - which has been *packed on nice days,* don't be surprised to see the restaurant reopen with much more of a "bar atmosphere." They made a lot of money from those patio drinkers, and aren't going to want to lose the revenue.

32 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Why would Kimpton think this is a good idea? Whatta fucked up theme.

Yes, but what a fucked up society we live in, letting political correctness shame people away from taking chances such as this. Let's all go to the Holiday Inn and have an Amstel Light in the hotel bar, which is probably called something like "Summers."

The City Paper article says: "Here's a tidbit from Krystal's story about the restaurant that isn't being received too well."

And yet, as of this writing, there are exactly three comments in Krystal's story which has been online for two days.

Don,

Do you think disability bars should be next? Everyone sits in wheelchairs!! Wheee... Or a stage IV cancer bar, where you get to have Boost cocktails and fun enemas because the opiates have constipated you?

No, being offended about a bar making fun of mental illness is not "politically correct". It's being a decent human being.

sheesh... I take offense to very little. But wow. 

Do you even know a little bit about the history of American asylums? Please google. Not much worse than the next idea of a concentration camp bar....

I'm not sure number of comments matter when it's a disadvantaged population being made fun of.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

Don,

Do you think disability bars should be next? Everyone sits in wheelchairs!! Wheee... Or a stage IV cancer bar, where you get to have Boost cocktails and fun enemas because the opiates have constipated you?

No, being offended about a bar making fun of mental illness is not "politically correct". It's being a decent human being.

sheesh... I take offense to very little. But wow. 

Having a theme does not mean belittling or making fun of.  If I open a bar with concentration camp mementos, is that making fun of victims of concentration camps? 

I agree that the theme is rude and in bad taste. Even the new name is off-putting. I was a semi-regular patron of Poste since it opened and used to work in the neighborhood. It was always in the mix as a place for business lunch/dinners or to meet up with colleagues. I can't imagine suggesting a meeting at "Dirty Habit". 

Have always been a fan of Kimpton hotels and restaurants in general and like their creativity. The company was sold  a year or so ago and I have not been impressed with the changes the new owners have made so far. Most of their hotels in San Francisco, where they got their start, or no longer affiliated with Kimpton since the sale.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eljo said:

I agree that the theme is rude and in bad taste. Even the new name is off-putting. I was a semi-regular patron of Poste since it opened and used to work in the neighborhood. It was always in the mix as a place for business lunch/dinners or to meet up with colleagues. I can't imagine suggesting a meeting at "Dirty Habit". 

Have always been a fan of Kimpton hotels and restaurants in general and like their creativity. The company was sold  a year or so ago and I have not been impressed with the changes the new owners have made so far. Most of their hotels in San Francisco, where they got their start, or no longer affiliated with Kimpton since the sale.

Stop it.

There are no thoughtful, intelligent posts allowed here.

:)

Funny thing is ... first thing I thought of when I read the name of the restaurant was a soiled Catholic vestment - truly I did - and quite frankly, I'm not entirely sure that isn't correct.

Of course, I just posted about a film I saw about a guy fucking a dolphin, so I'm probably not your best intellectual or moral compass.

Speaking of which, thank God it's not a tapas restaurant named "Spanish Inquisition."

Before going to see the Tintoretto exhibit at the National Gallery of Art, I went to Dirty Habit (for the first time) for brunch.  They open really early - that was one reason why I went there.  I wanted to eat before the NGA opened at 11.  The second reason is that they have two things on the brunch menu that interested me.

GUINEA HEN DUMPLING ($17) - foie gras / mushroom broth / truffle / herbs & chili oil whisky-barrel aged soy sauce.  It reads much better than it tasted.  The soup was a murky brown color and very bland - the mushroom didn't impart much flavor, neither did the herbs & chili oil.  The dumplings are good (5 per order)  - but they taste similar to typical decent Chinese chives/pork jiao-zi (no foie flavor).

LAMB GYROS ($17) - roasted lamb leg / cucumber / lettuce tomato onion / pita / tzatziki.  I have to say the lamb meat was delicious but there wasn't enough of it (a thin layer at the bottom).  Everyone knows a good gyro should be stuffed with meat!  

All you can drink Mimosa for $18.  

• Like 1