VandyHoo

Dirty Habit (Formerly Poste), Hotel Monaco, Verizon Center - "Insane Asylum" Theme Replaces Poste's Urbane Setting

Wow, over 2 years since someone has posted in here. I had never been and after a gin tasting event in the Living Social building a friend and I stopped in for another drink and something to eat. The truffle frites were delicious. I am guessing double fried - even at the end of our "meal" the last bits were room temperature, but still crispy. Although they didn't need it, I would have liked a little bit of aioli on the side - the ketchup was a mismatch with truffled fries. Regardless, some of the best fries I've had around this area, but you better come ready to eat them because there are a lot, served in a flower pot lined with paper :blink: at the "bargain" price of $10.

After that, my friend got the brasserie burger with a red onion compote, harissa aioli, watercress and "confit" tomato. She ordered it medium and got a medium-well bordering on well done burger. I had a few bites and liked all of the components together but hte burger itself was dense (obviously overcooked) and a bit underseasoned imo. Also, in the midst of summer in an area with a plethora of gorgeous tomatoes in a restaurant that (I thought) prides itself on its garden and locally sourced ingredients, the burger had waht appeared to be an underripe roma tomato with the whole stem end still in tact that was inedible.

I had the roasted asparagus with bechamel sauce and poached egg. I actually asked about the asparagus (see above comment regarding locally sourced ingredients) and the server was kind enough to inquire for me. I was told the name of the farm, but when I tried to look it up online I hit a dead end. My friend claims there are some places in NJ dedicated to greenhouse farming that would have asparagus now. I honestly don't know. Aside from that, I found the bechamel thick and clunky. My egg still had the beautiful runny yolk but it was small and quickly lost in the bechamel. Basically, it was fine but uninspiring.

My friend had a surprisingly boozy bourbon cocktail, a bargain compared to the rest of hte prices. I had 2 glasses of wine, a rose and a gruner veltliner, both enjoyable. However, I felt the wine prices were quite high overall and to that point noticed that the other rose selection was, if memory serves the same one being offered at Graffiato down the street for $12/glass instead of Poste's $14. Service wasn't overwhelming, but I have no complaints there.

The big picture for me - this is a place I would come for happy hour for some fries and a cocktail if I worked in the city. Otherwise, I felt the whole experience but especially the food was underwhelming and the prices too high for what they're offering. I won't be making an effort to get back anytime soon.

• Like 1

The big picture for me - this is a place I would come for happy hour for some fries and a cocktail if I worked in the city. Otherwise, I felt the whole experience but especially the food was underwhelming and the prices too high for what they're offering. I won't be making an effort to get back anytime soon.

You hit the nail on the head.

You hit the nail on the head.

Indeed. That said, when Rob Weland ran this kitchen, Poste was a serious restaurant. They also had a good pasty chef in Ryan Westover (now at 1789).

I pretty much only use Poste for their bar and patio at this point. Great space, at times great drinks (they currently have six different Rickeys available for the month of July), and uninspiring food.

Interesting commentary in this thread. I've been to Poste and went there for brunch. Overall the crown jewel of my experience was their fully loaded bloody marry bar. Specifically the fact that they had bacon infused vodka and a slew of pickled accessories. Otherwise the food was quite good. We got the mussels, cheese plate, and charcuterie plate.

As mentioned, I have to agree that their bar and patio area is quite nice.

Food was surprisingly mediocre last night from start to finish.  Patio was delightful (weather was perfect), so it'll be a shame if I end up crossing Poste off my list, but if last night had been my first meal there, I would never have returned for a second.  Judging from this thread (which I should have read before going, but it's a place I thought I knew -- we used to go there every couple of months a few years back),  sounds like this is the new normal rather than just an off night.  Too bad. 

I took the last seat at the bar here for a quick dinner before last nights Caps/Habs game. The lamb burger (harissa aioli, Greek yogurt, roasted tomato, pita bread; also seemed to have alfalfa sprouts and a falafel) was tasty, if messy, and came with a bunch of glorious, warm, crisp fries. The "Dickel and Berries" happy hour cocktail (cinnamon infused Dickel, lemon juice, blackberry) tasted, rather hilariously, like Newman's Own Strawberries 'n' Flakes breakfast cereal. I enjoyed it well enough, but I think I would've enjoyed it more if I didn't have the cereal impression.

The Washington Post reports that Poste is closing.  The article says:

"The patio will close April 25, the same day Poste will cease serving weekday lunch. Restaurant service will end May 31.

Chef Kyoo Eom will stay on board. No specific details on the replacement restaurant are currently available."

If Poste is closing this patio - which has been *packed on nice days,* don't be surprised to see the restaurant reopen with much more of a "bar atmosphere." They made a lot of money from those patio drinkers, and aren't going to want to lose the revenue.

32 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Why would Kimpton think this is a good idea? Whatta fucked up theme.

Yes, but what a fucked up society we live in, letting political correctness shame people away from taking chances such as this. Let's all go to the Holiday Inn and have an Amstel Light in the hotel bar, which is probably called something like "Summers."

The City Paper article says: "Here's a tidbit from Krystal's story about the restaurant that isn't being received too well."

And yet, as of this writing, there are exactly three comments in Krystal's story which has been online for two days.

Don,

Do you think disability bars should be next? Everyone sits in wheelchairs!! Wheee... Or a stage IV cancer bar, where you get to have Boost cocktails and fun enemas because the opiates have constipated you?

No, being offended about a bar making fun of mental illness is not "politically correct". It's being a decent human being.

sheesh... I take offense to very little. But wow. 

Do you even know a little bit about the history of American asylums? Please google. Not much worse than the next idea of a concentration camp bar....

I'm not sure number of comments matter when it's a disadvantaged population being made fun of.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

Don,

Do you think disability bars should be next? Everyone sits in wheelchairs!! Wheee... Or a stage IV cancer bar, where you get to have Boost cocktails and fun enemas because the opiates have constipated you?

No, being offended about a bar making fun of mental illness is not "politically correct". It's being a decent human being.

sheesh... I take offense to very little. But wow. 

Having a theme does not mean belittling or making fun of.  If I open a bar with concentration camp mementos, is that making fun of victims of concentration camps? 

2 minutes ago, Ericandblueboy said:

Having a theme does not mean belittling or making fun of.  If I open a bar with concentration camp mementos, is that making fun of victims of concentration camps? 

Yes. It does.

• Like 1

I agree that the theme is rude and in bad taste. Even the new name is off-putting. I was a semi-regular patron of Poste since it opened and used to work in the neighborhood. It was always in the mix as a place for business lunch/dinners or to meet up with colleagues. I can't imagine suggesting a meeting at "Dirty Habit". 

Have always been a fan of Kimpton hotels and restaurants in general and like their creativity. The company was sold  a year or so ago and I have not been impressed with the changes the new owners have made so far. Most of their hotels in San Francisco, where they got their start, or no longer affiliated with Kimpton since the sale.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eljo said:

I agree that the theme is rude and in bad taste. Even the new name is off-putting. I was a semi-regular patron of Poste since it opened and used to work in the neighborhood. It was always in the mix as a place for business lunch/dinners or to meet up with colleagues. I can't imagine suggesting a meeting at "Dirty Habit". 

Have always been a fan of Kimpton hotels and restaurants in general and like their creativity. The company was sold  a year or so ago and I have not been impressed with the changes the new owners have made so far. Most of their hotels in San Francisco, where they got their start, or no longer affiliated with Kimpton since the sale.

Stop it.

There are no thoughtful, intelligent posts allowed here.

:)

Funny thing is ... first thing I thought of when I read the name of the restaurant was a soiled Catholic vestment - truly I did - and quite frankly, I'm not entirely sure that isn't correct.

Of course, I just posted about a film I saw about a guy fucking a dolphin, so I'm probably not your best intellectual or moral compass.

Speaking of which, thank God it's not a tapas restaurant named "Spanish Inquisition."

Before going to see the Tintoretto exhibit at the National Gallery of Art, I went to Dirty Habit (for the first time) for brunch.  They open really early - that was one reason why I went there.  I wanted to eat before the NGA opened at 11.  The second reason is that they have two things on the brunch menu that interested me.

GUINEA HEN DUMPLING ($17) - foie gras / mushroom broth / truffle / herbs & chili oil whisky-barrel aged soy sauce.  It reads much better than it tasted.  The soup was a murky brown color and very bland - the mushroom didn't impart much flavor, neither did the herbs & chili oil.  The dumplings are good (5 per order)  - but they taste similar to typical decent Chinese chives/pork jiao-zi (no foie flavor).

LAMB GYROS ($17) - roasted lamb leg / cucumber / lettuce tomato onion / pita / tzatziki.  I have to say the lamb meat was delicious but there wasn't enough of it (a thin layer at the bottom).  Everyone knows a good gyro should be stuffed with meat!  

All you can drink Mimosa for $18.  

• Like 1