Pittsburgh - New Years Eve

If we are lucky enough to snag some tickets for the NHL Winter Classic (Caps vs Pens) - we will be in PIttsburgh for New Years Eve. We will have a mixed group of adults and teens - so are looking for a place to eat that would not be a romantic, stay-till midnight drink champagne place. Since I went to school in Pgh, you would think I would have some ideas of my own. but I was a broke grad student and my idea of a big night out was 25 cent Iron city at Squirrel Hill cafe followed by a trip to Primantis after the bars closed. Consequently my dining experience in the steel city is somewhat limited.

We will be staying near Pitt and CMU if that helps at all...I'm guessing there will be plenty of activities going on in town for First Night Pittsburgh - so that should keep us fairly well entertained!

Thanks for any advice!

If we are lucky enough to snag some tickets for the NHL Winter Classic (Caps vs Pens) - we will be in PIttsburgh for New Years Eve. We will have a mixed group of adults and teens - so are looking for a place to eat that would not be a romantic, stay-till midnight drink champagne place. Since I went to school in Pgh, you would think I would have some ideas of my own. but I was a broke grad student and my idea of a big night out was 25 cent Iron city at Squirrel Hill cafe followed by a trip to Primantis after the bars closed. Consequently my dining experience in the steel city is somewhat limited.

We will be staying near Pitt and CMU if that helps at all...I'm guessing there will be plenty of activities going on in town for First Night Pittsburgh - so that should keep us fairly well entertained!

Thanks for any advice!

Really good idea to ask this question--we're going to try and go to the game as well. Do you think tickets will be a problem? I'd think not given that NHL arenas seat ~18k and Heinz Field seats 70k...

Mad Mex - Atwood St. (just a couple of blocks from Forbes and the Pitt campus) - decent Tex-Mex

Ali Baba - South Craig just around the corner from the Carnegie Museum - Middle Eastern - BYOB - has been around longer than I have

FWIW, I misspent a fair amount of my youth in the Squirrel Cage. Good times.

Joe - I don't remember Squirrel Cage - is that new or did I forget? And rather than having "misspent" your youth - better to refer to it as adding to the rich fabric of your life! Thanks folks for the tips. I KNOW the kids are in for a trip to the "O", and Mineo's has been a go-to place for my family for over 50 years...I can't remember a time when I didn't have a slice from Mineo's on a trip to the burgh.

Joe - I don't remember Squirrel Cage - is that new or did I forget? And rather than having "misspent" your youth - better to refer to it as adding to the rich fabric of your life! Thanks folks for the tips. I KNOW the kids are in for a trip to the "O", and Mineo's has been a go-to place for my family for over 50 years...I can't remember a time when I didn't have a slice from Mineo's on a trip to the burgh.

Squirrel Cage = local nickname for Squirrel Hill Cafe.