Jin Asian Caribbean Soul Lounge, U Street Corridor - Closed

Anybody tried this place?

It's reading like Asian/Caribbean"con-fusion"

Rock Shrimp Lollipops - Skewered Jumbo rock shrimp marinated in a spicy almond sauce

Mussels in a Coconut Wine Sauce - w/ Coco Bread Crisps

Jerked Shrimp Sushi Roll - Avocado, Fish Roe, Wasabi Crème Fraiche

Bahamian Conch Fritters - w/ Tamarind Dipping Sauce

Anybody tried this place?

It's reading like Asian/Caribbean"con-fusion"

My friend and I ducked our heads in after a play at the Studio Theatre last week. After being ID'ed by a bouncer standing by a velvet rope (where are we?), we walked in to find an empty (no one there but the servers), but LOUD (so loud you couldn't hear yourself think), club. We were looking for a place to sit, have dinner, and catch up with each other, and this was not it, so we kept walking.

I can't vouch for the food, nor for the atmosphere before 10:30pm. But by atmosphere alone, Jin does not fit the "we just saw a fantastic play and want to have a bite and talk about it" niche.

Ducking into an empty Jin last night around 7:30, I got the last Sapporo ($3 at Happy Hour) in the keg. It was a slow time in this sleek, minimalist lounge with (surprisingly) Led Zeppelin piping through the speakers. The bartenders were as nice as can be, although one poor gentleman got sprayed during the keg change.

I asked if the owner of Jin, Chris Willoughby, had any other restaurants, and found out that he was opening Chow, apparently a dumpling bar with karaoke, on 1110 H St NE. There isn't much information out there on the internet, but I did find this and this.

While I didn't eat here, both glasses of Sapporo I had (the last from the old keg, and the first from the new keg) were in perfect shape, and I was surprised how pleasantly malty it was on draft. For $3 before 8 PM, it's hard to find a better beer in the U Street Corridor.

Cheers,

Rocks

(For ongoing updates about Chow, click here.)