Hell Point Seafood

We had a 5:30 reservation on Saturday night. We arrived much earlier (at 5) and was told they won't start seating until 5:30. Fortunately there is a bar and they were serving beverages. At 5:30, they lead us upstairs, to their outdoor patio. It was a hot afternoon so we declined to sit outside. We were told at that point that indoor seating won't start until 5:45. Eventually we took the elevator to the 3rd floor. From our table, we had a view of the city dock and the parking lot next to the city dock. It was actually more interesting watching people jostle for parking.

The online menu looked really good, which is what prompted me to make the reservation. Unfortunately, the kitchen didn't execute very well. The "stuffies" with chorizo, i.e., stuffed claim, was doused with butter. Similarly, my house-made fettuccine (with garlic, clams, parsley, and pancetta) was swimming in butter. I could see the clams but could barely taste them. The raw oysters were fat and fresh and my wife said the heirloom tomato salad was delicious. Her sesame crusted tuna was nicely seared (rare, but the fish itself was a little mealy); however, the accompanying cold soba noodles were overcooked and bland. We never got the sautéed baby bok choy nor were we charged for them (the waitress was very pleasant but did not remember everything that we ordered). Go for the view and the location but don't expect perfection.

A little bummed that the historical houses can only be toured with a guide. Even more bummed that London Town & Garden didn't open until noon on Sundays. Finally, wish Grace Garden was open on Sundays. At least we got some decent tacos at Taqueria La Placita.