Shake Shack, A New York Hamburger Chain In Multiple Area Locations

A Movable Feast: Danny Meyer on a Roll in tomorrow's New York Times Magazine.

"...the meat comes from Pat LaFrieda, a third-generation butcher who produces a blend of sirloin, chuck and brisket designed by Richard Coraine, former general manager of Wolfgang Puck’s Postrio in San Francisco and now one of Meyer’s partners. As Meyer put it: “There are a zillion variables to a hamburger. What part of the animal went into it. What coarseness. What temperature.” Coraine spent months “tasting and modifying the blend to hit the right chord.”

Really interesting since both of our hamburgers were overcooked.

Be Right Burger, which opened recently in Reston Town Center, is everything that Shake Shack isn't. Including a surprisingly good lobster roll for $9.95.

We are planning a road trip with the family to get the whole tribe to the Westport location. The little guy loved Steak and Shake last month and I know that this will delight him.

I have had nothing but good experiences at the dc location.

But I will admit I have yet to try a Danny Meyer establishment that didn't completely enchant me.

Sorry, but Shake Shack's burgers are not overcooked; they're cooked medium to well-done, and lightly smashed on the griddle, which is obviously not a style that everyone loves. Nothing is par-cooked, by the way, as it is in some other well-know places.

Don't go expecting a half-pound behemoth that you can order medium- rare - ain't gonna happen. Shack burgers are 4 oz.., topped with cheese, lettuce, tomato and sauce on a griddled potato roll that is the proper size for a burger like this. In NYC at least, the blend contains chuck, brisket and short rib. This certainly isn't gonna knock the high-end burgers off their game, but it would be a nice alternative to the Five Guys, Good Food and their ilk.

There are also some very good Chicago-style hot dogs and the aforementioned fries as well. Beer and wine, too.

And the "concrete" is Danny Meyers' ode to St. Louis' Ted Drewes, frozen custard spun with add-ins of your choice. I prefer gelato.

Would be nice if their menu board made it clear that their hamburger is actually a cheeseburger.

I don't really see the appeal of the hamburgers at Shake Shack. While the ingredients are supposed to be higher quality, it is tiny thin burger that is not cooked to order, so any quality difference becomes mostly voided. It is better than McDonalds in taste, but not necessarily than Five Guys and you pay $4 for this "premium" burger. I haven't tried the fries, but they don't look that great either. What I LOVE is the DC location's chocolate mint concrete/blizzard swirled ice cream - that is excellent!

I don't really see the appeal of the hamburgers at Shake Shack. While the ingredients are supposed to be higher quality, it is tiny thin burger that is not cooked to order, so any quality difference becomes mostly voided. It is better than McDonalds in taste, but not necessarily than Five Guys and you pay $4 for this "premium" burger. I haven't tried the fries, but they don't look that great either. What I LOVE is the DC location's chocolate mint concrete/blizzard swirled ice cream - that is excellent!

I think the 'appeal' of Shake Shack is the fact that it's a "known name" in the great DC-to-NY megalopolis, and that all of the Shake Shacks in NYC for the most part are located in very iconic and memorable areas (the Theater District, Madison Square Park, Upper West/East Side, etc.). For residents of NYC it's (apologies in advance) "just fukkin' Shake Shack" while for people who aren't NYC natives, they remember getting a memorably-good burger in very memorable locations, ideally under very memorable conditions, which leads to them mythologizing the chain as being something greater than it truly is.

• Like 1

I happen to really enjoy Shake Shack's burgers. In my experience, they are always hot, juicy, and well-seasoned, and I like the ratio of meat to toppings to sauce to bun. I like that I can get a nice, tart lemonade to drink (since I don't drink anything carbonated, usually my only option is water). I enjoy the concretes when I am in the mood for something sweet. For me, Shake Shack delivers on all fronts when I am in the mood for a fast-casual-type burger.

Jason and I visited the new Spy Museum location on Saturday, and we really enjoyed our lunch. The burgers were what I always expect from Shake Shack - salty and nicely charred - but they were actually cooked just under medium, which was perfectly fine by us. The Beltway Blondie concrete had vanilla custard, banana, blondie pieces, and salted caramel sauce, and if it had just a touch more caramel sauce, it would have been perfection. The line was a bit long (lunch rush, of course), but the employees were giving out lemonade and custard samples and everyone was in good spirits. It's bigger than the Dupont store and the line has a much better flow, so well done on that point.

Oooooooh...

Shake Shack Serves Fresh-Cut Fries for the First Time Ever

After nine years in business, Shake Shack is finally making the switch to fresh-cut French fries. The first of the fancy spuds are now being served at the Upper East Side location, but Shake Shack CEO Randy Garutti tells A Hamburger Today: "Every new Shack we open will begin to serve them, and it will take us some months to remodel our current kitchens before the switchover from frozen crinkle cuts to fresh fries is complete."

Popville reports that Shake Shack is moving into the old America space.

So now you get to have greasy tasteless salty burgers instead of greasy tasteless overdone food.  How 'bout that!

(it's hard to be simultaneously tasteless and salty (by which I mean the meat isn't very flavorful), but SS manages to do it with regularity.  a neat trick if you can manage it.)

So now you get to have greasy tasteless salty burgers instead of greasy tasteless overdone food.  How 'bout that!

(it's hard to be simultaneously tasteless and salty (by which I mean the meat isn't very flavorful), but SS manages to do it with regularity.  a neat trick if you can manage it.)

And here I was thinking I was the only one.

Don:  You're not the only one.

You can smell the odor of mediocrity from 50 feet away.  It's appetizing, gets your mouth watering and sets you up for the big reveal ... which is, that the burger doesn't live up to expectations.  (There's one three blocks from my apartment; I've been there a few times -- mostly for the hot dogs and the fries.  The fries are very good and what's more, they travel well.  Always a plus in my book.)

Meanwhile, people will line up from all over.  It's a bit sad.

I have a pic of a Shackburger somewhere in my archives.  I'll have to see if I can find it.

I think for the fast-food, thin patty style burger, Shake Shack is good at what they do...At least at the original in Madison Square Park.  The beef blend they used back in the day was anything but flavorless.  I can't comment on what they use now at all of their various franchises, but I would presume it's not the original Pat LaFrieda beef.  The only other Shake Shack I've eaten at is the one at Nats Park.  The line  is in no way worth waiting in, but if it's short, the burger you'll get there is better than the others in the park (not saying much).

And until last year, they were using frozen fries that really weren't worth ordering.  I was glad to see they finally made the switch to fresh cut, but I haven't actually tried them yet.

I have never been to a Shake Shack, but don't feel like I am running there anytime soon.  Based on what I have read here, it sounds like my opinion of the other new place that is franchising - Smashburger, I think all of these thin burgers are boring, flavorless and overseasoned to try to make up for this.

Give me a Dino Burger or a Hell Burger anytime, BGR is pretty good too, but I am tired of crappy franchises that have decent marketing machines to keep buzz up but nothing worth actually eating.

I like the shakes. Specifically, I like the black and white shakes.

I have a weakness for hot fudge sundaes, and the black and white shakes taste like hot fudge sundaes. (A serious weakness.)

(My friends do not agree - they all want chocolate shakes, and these are not chocolate shakes. Anywhere else, I order chocolate shakes. Here, I drink black and whites.)

I don't really like the food though.

I went to the Dupont location a couple of weeks ago for the first time; I was satisfied enough with my burger and fries--certainly better than Good Stuff or Z Burger--but I left feeling like I can now cross it off my places to try and don't have a compelling need to return. But when they announced in the middle of 2013 that Shake Shack was coming to Union Station, I was certain the old America space would be the location, so the confirmation doesn't surprise me at all.

So if we're to believe this, the Tyson's Shake Shack will be directly connected to the 'mall' station of the Silver Line.  I guess they're really going for that "just like NYC" touch of impossibly long lines.  Only reason I looked this up is because it's been 'coming soon' for about a year and a half now, and a quoted 'done by' date of July is new information.

• Like 1

So if we're to believe this, the Tyson's Shake Shack will be directly connected to the 'mall' station of the Silver Line.  I guess they're really going for that "just like NYC" touch of impossibly long lines.  Only reason I looked this up is because it's been 'coming soon' for about a year and a half now, and a quoted 'done by' date of July is new information.

Hmmm, guess I'll have to go during "off" hours. Still better than trekking into DC for a burger.

It's already crowded during off hours.  Tysons is also actively installing gates in a number of their parking garages in an attempt to dissuade those taking the Metro who might be looking for a place to park.  Interestingly NOBODY walks from the Tysons Metro to the Galleria.  NOBODY.  I stood in back of the new 22 story Intelsat building and watched 75-100 or more people walk from the Metro to Tysons Corner Center.  I didn't see a single person in this time walk to the Galleria.  My guess is that Tysons Corner Center will greatly profit from the Metro and the closest buildings on the Galleria side will, too.  Lerner has a couple of 30 story buildings slated for their side of the Metro.  But for the Galleria, the Ritz and the buildings on either side of it I cannot help but believe the Metro is largely irrelevant.

I should also note that it is a two thirds mile walk to the Galleria from Metro's platform (measured by me on my Mapmywalk app) and, even when it is dry, for many people, that is too far to walk.

Is it possible that it is not the distance that is off-putting but the possible lack of sidewalks?  I haven't walked over to the Galleria side yet, but even on the Tyson's side, they had traffic cops guiding us to Tyson's so we wouldn't be hit by some car driving to the garage.  I had an evening meeting at Pinnacle Drive off of Chain Bridge Road and I was thinking of taking the subway, but I was worried there wouldn't be any sidewalks on Chain Bridge Road or Pinnacle Drive. Just my ignorance.  Daunting to cross over all those lanes of Chain Bridge Road.

Is it possible that it is not the distance that is off-putting but the possible lack of sidewalks?  I haven't walked over to the Galleria side yet, but even on the Tyson's side, they had traffic cops guiding us to Tyson's so we wouldn't be hit by some car driving to the garage.  I had an evening meeting at Pinnacle Drive off of Chain Bridge Road and I was thinking of taking the subway, but I was worried there wouldn't be any sidewalks on Chain Bridge Road or Pinnacle Drive. Just my ignorance.  Daunting to cross over all those lanes of Chain Bridge Road.

FWIW, I live in Arlington, and Tysons Corner is *on my way* to Bethesda. Even with American Legion Bridge traffic, I find myself in Bethesda more than Tysons, and it's not just because of the number of restaurants - there's something "forbidding" about Tysons Corner, and I can't quite put my finger on it. And this Metro quagmire is a catastrophe in the making, with unstoppable inertia (sort of like global warming - some say that no matter what we do at this point, we're totally hosed).

Why. Didn't. They. Build. It. Straight. Up. The. Toll. Road. To. The. Airport? I'll bet they could have run it right down the middle, and the entire project would already be done; instead, they had to capitulate to the greedy developers and build the next Las Vegas.

DEVELOPMENT < > IMPROVEMENT, and this was the beginning of the end. I take that back: *this* was the beginning of the end. Yep, the sale of Evans Farm Inn to WestGroup and Friends - WestGroup (and the Evans Farm Inn owners) took the money and hauled ass (to Wyoming! (*)), leaving their detritus for the rest of the world to deal with, and the worst has yet to come. In fact, the worst is decades away.

Just fuckin' saying....

(*) And how much do you want to bet that Mount Vernon property will be developed?

The Tysons Corner Shake Shack is, for the moment, extremely difficult to find if you're inside the mall (if you're outside the mall, don't even bother).

The best instruction (also for the moment) I can give you is this: Head for the 2nd floor mall entrance of Lord & Taylor. There, you'll see the mall-ish equivalent of a boarded-up Shake Shack, with tiny little signs instructing you to 'walk through the bathroom area and go to the courtyard.' And indeed, patrons are forced through a labyrinthian course, passing the mall restrooms, and winding up at a door which leads outdoors to the "plaza" (I suppose one day it will be a "plaza"). For now, 2nd floor entrance to Lord & Taylor, and you'll most likely find it after a minute or two.

The only entrance to Shake Shack is currently from the outdoor, elevated plaza, and at around 8:30 on a Wednesday night, there were about 20 customers outside, waiting or eating, and 2-3 inside, where it was absolutely frigid. The inside must have surely been in the 50s - I didn't think air conditioners could get this cold unless they had compressors (and maybe this one does).

I didn't want to rush through my meal, so I ordered a couple pints of ShackMeister Ale ($5.25) which they were out of, and were instead offering two pints of Shack IPA ($5.25) - both of these are brewed for Shake Shack by Brooklyn Brewery, and as much as I don't particularly care for IPAs, this was refreshing, ice cold, and very good, with an amber color and ample body framing an relatively balanced IPA.

Rest assured, Shake Shack is being heavily secret shopped, and the employees are doing everything (well, almost, see below) in a way that will get them high points on the checklist. There are two types of customer service: the type that's virtually free to the company, and the type that costs the company money. It takes no extra time or effort to smile, or to say "thank you," or to be generally pleasant, and that's what Union Square Hospitality Group does so well (as does Great American Restaurant Group, and for that matter, McDonald's (when was the last time you didn't encounter a courteous drive-thru employee at a McDonald's?)). The employees at the Tysons Corner Shake Shack positively ooze friendliness, and are just about perfect at this "free" type of customer service.

My order for two beers was ready in exactly 6 minutes (and yes, USHG, the food handlers were wearing gloves ;)), and the gentleman who handed me my tray said, "Enjoy your Shack IPA!" in the friendliest way imaginable. I counted an incredible 16 (!) kitchen employees, and there may have been a couple more than this. I took my beers, went outside, and perused the menu which is divided into 3 columns: left, food; center, sweets; right, drinks and dogs (they have dog biscuits).

The deck had speakers, and was playing (I won't say "blaring," but it was certainly energetic) an upbeat, poppy hip-hop track which circulated the festive atmosphere in the air. After I finished sipping my first IPA, I was ready to order, and got up to go back inside holding my second beer. Keeping in line with the friendliness theme, a gentleman with a broom and dustpan politely asked me, "Do you mind if I sweep under your table, sir?" Points given for an upbeat, cheerful staff, that's for sure.

Shake Shack is serving frozen crinkle-cut fries, and I don't ever need to have those again, so I went for a Shack-cago Dog ($4) which was (take a deep breath) "Dragged through the garden with Rick's Picks Shack relish, onion, cucumber, pickle, tomato, sport pepper, celery salt, and mustard." And also a plain old Double Hamburger ($5.90) with nothing on it but Bacon ($1.25). The menu (linked to up above) said:

"All burgers are cooked medium unless otherwise requested."

I was very pleased to see they're cooking to medium, but also wanted to see if they could get a subtle difference right, so I asked for mine medium-rare. Remember those two types of customer service I was talking about up above? The type that costs the restaurant nothing, and the other type - the type that costs the company money? Well, this was testing the other type - potentially throwing a wrench into the assembly line. The cashier's surprising response?

"We cook all our burgers to medium-rare."

Okay, I knew that was BS, he knew that was BS, but he didn't know that I knew that was BS, so in his mind, monkey wrench avoided with a two-second little-white lie. Also, there were no special cooking instructions on my ticket, so I was to be served a medium-rare burger like everyone else who doesn't make a special request. The order was ready in 9 minutes.

One more piece of advice for anyone ordering similarly to the way I did: save some of those pickled vegetables from the Shack-cago Dog - they make a wonderful burger topping, and there's so many of them that they'll spill over onto your tray. Actually, this reminds me: my bun was cut all the way through (i.e. it was in two pieces, and I didn't realize that), so when I took my first bite of hot dog, the entire thing went ker-plat!, and I was left holding my bun while the hot dog and vegetables were resting in my paper tray. No harm done, but it was pretty funny - the entire thing, and I mean the entire thing, fell out.

Anyway, here's a picture of the center portion of my medium-rare hamburger (better quality here):

post-2-0-22436400-1408660801_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Funny you were so keen on observing the service.  I was doing the same thing at Nats Park on Wednesday night.  (That was when Rendon hit his first walk-off base hit of the week, not his second!)

It had been over a year since I'd been to that (or any) Shake Shack so I was a little unclear on the process, but I went to the counter and placed my order and paid as usual.  Then I just stood there waiting for my order.  My waitress/server/cashier just stood there too.

After a couple of minutes I realized that the waiter/server/cashier next to her was taking order after order and those people were paying, getting their reciepts and then standing off to the side.  I soon realized that this was the way it was supposed to work - - order, pay, step to the side and wait.

So now I figured I'd conduct an experiment.  I was going to stay where I was (talking to my daughter), until my food came or until someone clued me in and asked me to step aside.

After 6 or 8 minutes my food came but during that time, no one asked me to step aside and my cashier never took another order.  She just stood there.  The guy next to her probably took 5 or more orders in the time that mine took.  Big time fail on my server's part............but in Shake Shack's defense, the guy next to her was working like a champ.  (we were separated from the large bank of cash registers on the left by a column so I couldn't tell how the other cashiers were doing).  I probably wouldn't have noticed this or cared about it if it weren't a Danny Meyer joint, but hey, when you're the king of hospitality, people expect perfection!  ;-)

(and PS - I didn't feel bad about conducting my little "experiment" because the line was pretty short - - less than half of the roped off area was full)

Okay, I finally was able to check this place out after a Wednesday "advance screening" (a whole whopping day before its general release) of "As Above, So Below."  Don't go see it with a full stomach - the entire damned thing is done with shaky-cam footage.

First...that pirate ship playset next to the place is going to be a dentist's (and possibly neurosurgeon's) dream.  A pirate ship made out of friggin' steel tubing, covered in Cox's little 'spaceman' character.  I guess that makes it easier for parents to know who to sue when little Aidan (so spell-check considers this a proper name now...bring on the asteroids), Hunter, or Dakota lose their baby teeth and a few permanents when they trip trying to pretend to be Johnny Depp's stunt double.

Second...someone needed to tell them that just because the place is *called* Shake Shack, that they didn't have to *actually* make it a shack.  Seriously - there's indoor seating for *maybe* twenty people at most - everyone else has to make do with outdoor seating.  I foresee the Hyatt they're building having to put up "don't eat here" signs in their lobby.

Anyway - I'd already eaten in the fifteen minutes prior to the movie by taking my chances with the Charlie Chiang's "Kwai" place in the Tyson's food court.  Sure, you might be eating General Tso's (and fried rice) that's been marinating in grease and red sauce for seven hours, but it's still the quickest damned eats in that half-moon of horror.  So rather than give my mall Chinese food a decent amount of company (after it'd been idly threatening to make a reappearance after 90 minutes of ~~shaky cam~~) I sidled into the Shake Shack around thirty minutes before they closed and ordered a single and a chocolate shake.

Verdict?  It's a more-than-decent burger (reddest tomatoes I've seen in a while on anything), but I see this particular franchise becoming a drag on everything around it because of poor design choices - both architecturally and *logically*.  They had all that room on that elevated deck and the place itself looks like it was added as an afterthought.  BGR on the other side of the mall (as well as Elevation Burger) was carved into its space with more thought than they put into this Shake Shack location.  It's going to have foot traffic passing it *by the thousands* ~every day~ from the Metro station, and I swear there's less internal line space inside than there is at a Smashburger.

The chocolate shake, though?  That kicked ass (even though the shake cost slightly more than the single-patty cheeseburger).  Too bad you seem to have to visit this place around 9:30pm on a Wednesday to not have to worry about lines.

• Like 1

I've been hitting the Union Station location periodically, especially on those days when I really just need to get out of the building and walk around a bit.  It's been a long, long time since I ate at the original in NYC, but the fond memories of that experience have simply never materialized at the local outpost.  The burgers are fine, but seem smaller, or at least of lesser stature somehow, and the whole experience leaves me with the feeling that I've just been sold the tourist-lite version of what a Shake Shack experience ought to be like.  In NYC, there was a sensation when you got your food that they had overdelivered on such simple items, kind of in the way a Pat's cheesesteak is far more satisfying than watching it being made would suggest.  In DC, the thing you remember is waiting around a bit too long with that little "your numbers has been called" dispatch gizmo, and then collecting a tray of miniature items for which you just paid $15.

At least the upstairs seating affords a pleasant view overlooking the mezzanine below.  But if I think about it too much, I'll probably realize eventually that it would take me about the same amount of time to drive over to Union Market for something vastly better from Red Apron.

Despite its expanding presence in the region, I had never been to a Shake Shack outpost (not even the one at the ballpark).  I rectified that by treating myself to lunch at the Union Station location today.  Given how crowded it was at 12:30 - 12:45 today, the place must be a zoo when it's not summer vacation time.  I asked for pickle and onion with my Shack Burger and was happy with the result.  It was even an acceptable expenditure of 490+ calories.

I didn't care for the fries as much.  There is something about crinkle cut fries that doesn't wow me.  I'm more a shoestring person.  They weren't bad but I'm not going to be craving future trips there to get them (thankfully).

The burger put me in mind of a Gino Giant for some reason, not that I can remember in detail what was even on a Giant.  It was just the feeling that eating the burger gave me.

• Like 1

Had high hopes for the local branches given all the hype over the NYC location. Frankly as far as I am concerned it is nothing special.

The world is full of better burgers than what is being served here. Just to be sure I was not missing something, I tried DuPont, union station , and downtown. I just don't get it.

Had high hopes for the local branches given all the hype over the NYC location. Frankly as far as I am concerned it is nothing special.

The world is full of better burgers than what is being served here. Just to be sure I was not missing something, I tried DuPont, union station , and downtown. I just don't get it.

People need to stop beating themselves up over the possibility that "they may not get it," and understand that we live in a world of PR and marketing, and 30 years ago, cigarette companies were telling us what a great life we'd all have if we'd only smoke their products.

This all boils down to personal preference, but I would sooner go to Five Guys than I would Shake Shack. The media - everyone who has ever written a glowing article about Shake Shack in the past year or two - is being played for suckers.

Frozen, crinkle-cut fries brought back because the customers were demanding it. The perfect story: proletarian *and* profitable. And how many times have we heard this? Right. Think about it.

For the first fast food burger I'd had in years, I enjoyed what I had at Shake Shack a few days ago.  I can't compare it to much, since I've never been to Five Guys or most other fast food places that are around now.  I believe the last fast food burger I had was at Good Stuff (speaking of hype...).

I didn't have any particular expectations for the trip to Shake Shack, so maybe that's why I was satisfied.  I wasn't expecting mind-blowing food, just something good.  They certainly have the training and hospitality side down.

We finished the fries with last night's dinner.  (I only ate about 1/3 of them at the restaurant.)  They reheated well, but they were still crinkle-cut  ^_^ .

For the first fast food burger I'd had in years, I enjoyed what I had at Shake Shack a few days ago.

I may be wrong about this, but for hamburgers especially, I think one primary difference between "fast food" and "quick serve" is that the latter is "cooked" (or, in the case of places like Chipotle, "assembled") to order. I consider both Five Guys and Shake Shack "Quick Serve" because they don't start cooking your burgers until after you order, at least in theory; in reality, I've come across more than one supposedly "quick-serve" burger joint with pre-cooked burgers sitting on the side of the grill. That's a no-no, and if you ever see it, they've pretty much crossed the line from quick serve to fast food. Regardless, the line between the two is becoming very poorly defined and fuzzy.

By my personal standards, any restaurant that won't cook your hamburger to temperature is essentially fast food, regardless of when the burger is cooked. It's beyond me why people would pay money to eat a well-done burger - would you ever cook one at home? (I'm not talking to you, Pat; this is the Universal You.)

I consider both Five Guys and Shake Shack "Quick Serve" because they don't start cooking your burgers until after you order, at least in theory...

Your theory does not hold true for the location at Nats stadium where, at least in the rush before a game, the burgers are premade.  The one I had a couple of weeks ago was still excellent.

44 minutes ago, Lydia R said:

Article in Bethesda Magazine announces  Shake Shake (& liquor license?)  coming to the Cabin John shopping center along with other improvements: 

"Shake Shack to Open September in Potomac" by Glynis Kazanjian on bethesdamagazine.com

Yes, this was first reported by Cheryl Kane Heimlich, who runs the blog "Store Reporter." This opening is almost certainly in response to Burger Joint closing there:

Sep 14, 2017 - "Shake Shack Heading to Cabin John [....]" on storereporter.com

As of this writing, there are now thirteen Shake Shack locations in the Baltimore-Washington area. Trying to keep up with them reminds me of what it was like trying to keep up with Starbucks fifteen-years ago (note the first post in that thread) - on any given day, you simply don't know how many there are.

Screenshot 2018-07-27 at 21.10.11.png

I haven't been there lately, but you have to wonder if this the Introitus to Attman's Requiem.