Crabcakes

It's technically not "in town" but has anyone ever had G&Ms crabcakes. This place reminded me of Hereford House in KC, goofy paintings on the walls, surly servers and soda served in red plastic coke cups. The crabcakes were pretty awesome though.
Well you can tell by the G&M thread that there are two sorts of people in the world, those who love the large mass of flavorless Indonesian crab, and those that loath them.

Your restaurant puts out a flavorful crab cake, and while I like the flavor of the leek that it sits upon I don't find that it really adds much to the dish. My preference would be if it were served with fries and a good tartar sauce instead.

The Dave's "almost famous" crabcake served at Urban BBQ ($9 sandwich, $10 platter) is mostly lump backfin, but sourced from Phillips and didn't seem much like blue crab to me. It seemed to be competently fried, but the texture was just okay and the flavor was decidedly weak. I'd guess the portion was closer to 3 oz, and looked a bit lost on its full-sized bun.

BTW, I also can't recommend the key lime pie ($3). Looked to be industrially portioned into individual plastic boxes, but the texture didn't resemble any key lime pie I've seen before. Airy, with a consistency not unlike cold cool whip, and chalk white. Yeah, the flavor said key lime, but otherwise it was just kinda bizarre.

The crabcakes at Posh top those at the Narrows and every other restaurant crabcake that I have tried. They are absolutely perfect renditions of the classic dish from my childhood.

Hmm.................. your specifying the Narrows is meaningful. We will definitely try them.

On a related note (and resurrecting this thread)--any ideas for a good crabcake in and around Washington, DC? We were thinking Cantler's in Annapolis (which should give you an idea of our range) but open to other suggestions!

Go to Faidley's in Lexington Market in Baltimore. Get yourself some coddies at the same time. Also go to Attman's for deli sammiches.

This thread is so old, that when it was last frequently posted on, Bobby's Crabcakes in Rockville wasn't around yet. But I think they might have the best cakes in the DC area.

Right now they do, but Chris Willis will be back on the scene shortly.

(In the meantime, hightail it to Creme and get Orlando Hitzig's crab hushpuppies - these are leaps-and-bounds better than the "exact" same thing he was serving at Columbia Firehouse (although he's using lump at Creme, and was using claw at Columbia Firehouse). Trust me and get these - one appetizer is enough for two people to share. He uses corn flour instead of cornmeal, which gives them a silky (not grainy) texture.)

Right now they do, but Chris Willis will be back on the scene shortly.

(In the meantime, hightail it to Creme and get Orlando Hitzig's crab hushpuppies - these are leaps-and-bounds better than the "exact" same thing he was serving at Columbia Firehouse (although he's using lump at Creme, and was using claw at Columbia Firehouse). Trust me and get these - one appetizer is enough for two people to share. He uses corn flour instead of cornmeal, which gives them a silky (not grainy) texture.)

So who is the heir to the Bobby's throne? That is, who is serving crabcakes that are very similar to those that were served at Bobby's?

And I can't help but notice that Chris Willis is back on the scene at Grist Mill, yet no one's made any comments here or in the restaurant's thread. Is it worth a trip? What I'm looking for here is a dish that is pretty much all jumbo lump crab, like the old Bobby's Crabcakes or even the crab royale at Ray's.