Up until now, I've never heard of a kaiten sushi restaurant that wasn't "pay per piece."

Yep. Learn somethin' new every day.

I guess my initial reaction is to think that AYCE sushi (instead of "pay per piece/plate") can't sustain quality control. Then again, I can't come up with a rational explanation that the usual kaiten m.o. makes QC more feasible, at least in an incredible high-turnover location.

Yep. Learn somethin' new every day.

I guess my initial reaction is to think that AYCE sushi (instead of "pay per piece/plate") can't sustain quality control. Then again, I can't come up with a rational explanation that the usual kaiten m.o. makes QC more feasible, at least in an incredible high-turnover location.

What happens with the AYCE sushi buffets is that they use huge amounts of rice in each piece - I've seen this consistently. If you can live with that reality, some of them aren't as bad as you might think.

What happens with the AYCE sushi buffets is that they use huge amounts of rice in each piece - I've seen this consistently. If you can live with that reality, some of them aren't as bad as you might think.

What good ones have you been to? I've found all my AYCE sushi experiences (and really, most of my AYCE experiences in general) to be utterly unrewarding. Buffets are never as good as they sound.

What good ones have you been to? I've found all my AYCE sushi experiences (and really, most of my AYCE experiences in general) to be utterly unrewarding. Buffets are never as good as they sound.

There used to be one in Rosslyn, across the street from the USA Today building; it's now a fast-food place, but it really wasn't all that bad. And it was only about $10.95 at lunch! I also recall one on 14th. Street I believe, but that closed awhile back; the one in Rosslyn was better. I haven't been to one in years.

Indian food lends itself well to steam table buffets, but that's for another topic. :(

Yuraku in Germantown is delicious. The buffet is only offered at lunch and it looks like there's a variety of sushi and other dishes as well. To be honest, I've never ordered the buffet option because I don't eat enough fish to make it worthwhile (and they watch you to make sure you don't just eat the fish and leave the rice), but I go almost every weekend for lunch after the gym and order a roll and a salad. Be prepared to wait for a table and the waiting area is tiny so the crowd usually spills out to the sidewalk. They are closed on Mondays.

• Like 1

.....so what I'm hearing is that all the good sushi buffet places are either closed or you should just order a la carte because the owners will charge you for .00001 cents of leftover rice that you don't eat when you're done. :(

Il Mee and Hee Been in Annandale both have AYCE sushi. The quality at Hee Been is a bit better (albeit at a slightly higher price) but the sushi at Il Mee turns over quicker. (and for your information, most of the AYCE sushi places are Korean. There are only three Japanese sushi chefs in the whole DC metro area and they use motor scooters to go from restaurant to restaurant :( )

There used to be one in Rosslyn, across the street from the USA Today building; it's now a fast-food place, but it really wasn't all that bad. And it was only about $10.95 at lunch! I also recall one on 14th. Street I believe, but that closed awhile back; the one in Rosslyn was better. I haven't been to one in years.

Indian food lends itself well to steam table buffets, but that's for another topic. :(

I went there often. Seating was tight, but this place was worth it. I think it was called Appetizer Plus, or something like that. I must have eaten there 30 or 40 times.

I believe I started the Todai thread in the dining guide. I really like that place, but it's hard not to waddle out of there. Too many good things going on, not just sushi.

There is a credible buffet on Rt. 50 right before it hits Rt. 28 in Chantilly. It's right next door to a not-bad-but-not-good Chinese buffet. The sushi is pretty good at the one I'm talking about. Maybe it's name is Total Buffet, but that could be the name of the place right next door.

Todai has quite a selection of food and sushi, but the price is no bargain (almost $20 at lunch and $30 dinner).

That depends on how much you can eat! :(

Seriously, you pay for quality and with seafood that's an important consideration to make especially with raw fish. Still, I'm not a big fan of AYECE seafood places even at places like Phillip's or Hogate's because you feel like you have to get your money's worth. Well, to be honest, I guess hitting those buffets for all you can eat shrimp or crab legs is ok...

perhaps there is a thread or should be one, on the merits of buffet dining.

Korshi (5728 Pickwick Road, Centreville, VA) has nigiri, sashimi, and rolls better than Todai, Il Mee, and Hee Been. About the same price as Todai but better fish to rice ratio. Also has meat grilled at the table, raw oysters, and king crab legs like the others. FWIW desserts were better at Todai.

I went there often. Seating was tight, but this place was worth it. I think it was called Appetizer Plus, or something like that. I must have eaten there 30 or 40 times.

I believe I started the Todai thread in the dining guide. I really like that place, but it's hard not to waddle out of there. Too many good things going on, not just sushi.

There is a credible buffet on Rt. 50 right before it hits Rt. 28 in Chantilly. It's right next door to a not-bad-but-not-good Chinese buffet. The sushi is pretty good at the one I'm talking about. Maybe it's name is Total Buffet, but that could be the name of the place right next door.

The Korean place you're thinking of is called Il Mee/Yil Mi/Total Buffet. It's good. The place next door is Sichuan Village/Super Buffet. Their buffet is really not super (but my young kids love it), but they also havea huge menu of Sichuan food that is very, very good.

The Korean place you're thinking of is called Il Mee/Yil Mi/Total Buffet. It's good. The place next door is Sichuan Village/Super Buffet. Their buffet is really not super (but my young kids love it), but they also havea huge menu of Sichuan food that is very, very good.

Correct. I have eaten at both on many occasions and your observations are right on.

If I'm looking for sushi buffet in this area, my fix can best be handled at Total Buffet in Chantilly or Todai in Fair Oaks. I have not encountered another one that compares favorably to these two, at least since Appetizer Plus closed in Rosslyn....

Matuba all you eat sushi lunch buffet is a good deal. It's about $14 w/o drink and tip. They only have it on Tuesdays-Fridays at their rotary bar. They have some nigirizushi, rolls, temakisuhi, salad, dumplings, chicken teriyaki, and other small dishes. It's not a big selection but it's very tasty. There's also a dinner buffet there but I've never been.

Their regular lunch menu is also a pretty good deal.

Matsutake in Ballston has a sushi and hot food buffet at lunch on weekdays. It was pretty crowded yesterday. It was about $13 and ok. They had a large variety of sushi. A number of the rolls had tempura fried ingredients or sauces on top. The piece of salmon I had tasted kinda fishy. They also had hot foods including gyoza, teriyaki beef, spicy chicken, lo mein, fried rice, egg rolls, spicy cucumber, soup, rice, and salad.

Matsutake in Ballston has a sushi and hot food buffet at lunch on weekdays. It was pretty crowded yesterday. It was about $13 and ok. They had a large variety of sushi. A number of the rolls had tempura fried ingredients or sauces on top. The piece of salmon I had tasted kinda fishy. They also had hot foods including gyoza, teriyaki beef, spicy chicken, lo mein, fried rice, egg rolls, spicy cucumber, soup, rice, and salad.

I've had the buffet here twice and both times felt like crap afterwards - totally defeating the purpose of getting sushi for lunch. Did the takeaway pay per pound option too, so it wasn't from over indulgence.

This is not a recommendation for or against; just passing along a fact: I nabbed a carryout menu from the new Sushi Para in Van Ness, and on it, they're advertising all-you-can-eat sushi for $21.99 a person. It doesn't say if it's lunch or dinner, and I didn't see any obvious buffet when I darted in this evening (although it does say "Dine In Only" which I guess is sort of obvious). :)

On 11/12/2010 at 5:03 PM, cheezepowder said:

As an update, Matsutake in Ballston closed in 2014.

Boy, this is a blast from the past.  A group of us would go to Appetizer Plus pretty much once a week for several years (the group would range from 4 to 12 people).  They would put together plates of hand rolls for us as soon as we walked in.  Worth the subway ride from Farragut West.  Great place that we still miss.

Now working in Rockville, the best we've been able to find is Hinode.  Good selection and decent turnover to keep things fresh, but the pieces on the buffet are quite small, particularly relative to what you get when ordering off the menu.  Near home, I like Todai but my wife is not a big fan, so we don't go there often.  

---

Auld Lang Cuisine (DonRocks)

13 hours ago, jpbloom said:

Now working in Rockville, the best we've been able to find is Hinode.  Good selection and decent turnover to keep things fresh, but the pieces on the buffet are quite small, particularly relative to what you get when ordering off the menu.  Near home, I like Todai but my wife is not a big fan, so we don't go there often.  

I agree that Hinode is pretty good as far as sushi buffets go. $15 plus tax/tip, I wouldn't call their sushi pieces "quite small" (though not generous), but it's pretty good quality fish, especially for a buffet.

1 hour ago, Marty L. said:

Can't say it often enough . . . pieces should be "quite small" -- the mega-sushi is grotesque.  

Yes, but I think we're talking about small pieces of fish on pillows of rice, so diners fill up on the inexpensive stuff. 

21 hours ago, DonRocks said:

Yes, but I think we're talking about small pieces of fish on pillows of rice, so diners fill up on the inexpensive stuff. 

I don't find Hinode to be that bad. I don't think the ratio is ideal, but it's reasonable.

9 minutes ago, DanielK said:

I don't find Hinode to be that bad. I don't think the ratio is ideal, but it's reasonable.

As long as the ratio of fish-to-rice is appropriate, it doesn't matter how small the pieces are since you can just take more. :)

You know, I haven't had a good sushi engorgement in quite awhile now, and I've never been to Hinode ...

38 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

You know, I haven't had a good sushi engorgement in quite awhile now, and I've never been to Hinode ...

It's been more than a year since I've been there. I don't think you're missing much-- seemed pretty average to me.

11 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It's been more than a year since I've been there. I don't think you're missing much-- seemed pretty average to me.

I've found that the key to enjoying AYCE Sushi is that the restaurant usually has one or two types of fish that are much better than the others - get only one piece of each type on the first trip (leaving out the ones you *know* you won't like), and then load up on the good stuff on trips 2-X. 

Often the strengths can be found in salmon, flounder, and the more common types of fish, or even radish and gourd, but you're not going there for a Masa-level experience; just gluttony and hedonism without all the guilt that usually accompanies buffets (e.g., it's not like an AYCE pizza buffet which ruins your entire day when it's over). Woodlands' vegetarian-vegan buffet serves a similar purpose for me - I can leave feeling stuffed, but not feeling like a blimp.