Rogue 24, Blagden Alley in Mount Vernon Square - 2007 James Beard Winner RJ Cooper Departs on Dec 31, 2015 - Closed Jan 15, 2016

For those (like me) who were still a little confused - from the website:

Hello Rockheads,

Thank you for your post. Let me try and clarify the confusion.

We opened the reservation line on the 14th to book tables for the first weekend 27th through the 30th of July only, we needed to control how many guests we can do the first weekend. We have sold out the 27th and the 30th. We still have tables available for the 28th and 29th.

On Monday the 18th of July at 10am we will open up the reservation book to make reservations for the first 6 weeks. At that time we will open up the online reservation system opentable. Keep in mind we must have your email address so Bonji may send the reservation agreement.

Please if there are any other questions feel free to contact Matthew, Neill or Boni at 202.408.9724 or by email at gorogue@rogue24.com

The team of R24 have been busier then Santa's elves putting the restaurant together and it is above and beyond my expectations.

We are anxious to show the community our dining experience.

Thank you all for your support.

RJ Cooper III

Chef/Owner

Rogue 24

Looking forward to the first reports if anyone went tonight or earlier.

I was wondering why it seemed so incredibly tough to get a table via OpenTable (aside from the advance press and popularity it will of course enjoy) and think I now understand. This from their "press release":

Reservations accepted for a maximum of six guests will be available one month (to the date) in advance, beginning at 10:00 a.m. A credit card is required to hold the reservation, and cancelations must be made 72 hours in advance to avoid a full charge.

Wow--that's a page right out of Minibar's or French Laundry's book except at least Thomas Keller allows two month advance bookings. I think I'll be trying this one in a year or so if and when the hoopla dies down.

Due to either my not-paying-attention, or my just plain bad memory, it came as a pleasant surprise to me that Rogue 24 was opening yesterday; I found out (or was reminded) about it on Tuesday night , when I ran into chef de partie Bryan Tetorakis at The Passenger, and immediately planned to visit on Wednesday.

Then I read this nice piece in Wednesday's Post Food Section, and was concerned that it would be slammed and SRO (I'd already been informed that the reservations were filled for Wednesday; I merely wanted to drop by and have a drink and perhaps a nibble at the bar): The high cost of living (large)

I wasn't quite certain what to expect after reading that article yesterday morning. Was Rogue 24 going to be like Komi, i.e., destination dining with no bar to linger at? Or would I be able to indulge one of my favorite pastimes and simply enjoy a few small plates and a drink or two at the bar? I set out to find out, and asked a friend along, telling her that I'd let her know what the situation was after I got there, since she lived a few blocks away, and we had contingency plans ready if Rogue 24 couldn't accommodate us.

Armed with the address (925 N St. NW) and aware that it was in Blagden Alley, I found parking on 9th St. and walked into the Alley to find Rogue 24. That was easier said than done! I felt a bit like a mouse in a maze, but I eventually saw the restaurant through some windows, and asked a couple of parking attendants where the entrance was, and they indicated the door. There was no signage, and this gives Rogue 24 something of an "insider's" feel to it; a speakeasy restaurant! Some might find this irritating or exasperating, but I LOVE it. No one will just "wander by" and drop in; you have to know where you are going and have a set purpose. Time will tell if Rogue 24 will make itself more conspicuous, but in the meantime, it has a undercover/stealth vibe, as though it might be unlicensed and invitation-only.

I entered and was greeted by the hostess, Jessica, and then saw Derek Brown, They both explained the "Salon" concept to me, which is a sort-of waiting area for pre-dinner drinks in a lounge-like setting but there is no traditional bar set up there. One simply is given the cocktail list and you get served there. There were enough people there when I showed up to qualify as "busy" and thankfully, a couple of seats opened up in the Salon, so I was seated and texted my friend to come on ahead, giving her specific directions and she had no trouble finding the entrance as a result. We had cocktails (I started with the Bitter Peach Fizz, then had the "Pepper and Pepper", featuring James E. Pepper Bourbon) and some wine (a Beronia Rioja Riserva 2006), and I met Matthew Carroll, the General Manager and Sommelier, who was very nice and most helpful; oenophiles will find no shortage of thoughtfully-selected and compelling wine choices to enjoy. Derek gave my friend and I a quick tour, and we each tried a non-alcoholic beverage which was refreshing and delightful on such a warm evening (Rogue 24 will always have these available, so even non-drinkers or designated drivers will have something interesting to enjoy, not just the old standbys of soda or iced tea.)

My friend and I did not have anything to eat, but we are looking forward to a return visit sometime soon. Rogue 24 is a wonderful space (kudos to my friend Brian Miller and company for the design), and I know enough about chef R.J. Cooper's reputation and my own experiences with his cuisine from Vidalia to be really excited about dining there. I'll wait until I know I can set aside at least 2 hours and make nice early reservations to allow for a relaxed and fulfilling evening of great food and drink.

Rogue 24 is something to be happy and excited about. :mellow: I eagerly await the reports of more informed Rockwellians as to their dining experiences there.

Four of us had an extraordinary dinner on opening night! From the cocktail in the lounge, to the the fowl play, the tomato, the lamb, the tennessee (some of our faves among the 24 courses) with the wine and beer pairings (which were spot on) in the dining room - all was perfect with warm and attentive service. (And the serving dishes...what fun!) Probably the most relaxed and enjoyable high end dining experience we have ever had!! We were encouraged to look around, ask questions - we did, and you should.

I went last week, and had a great meal. I put up my pics and descriptions here.

My favorites were: the sea floor, the fresh radish with edible dirt, liquid chicken, the beet granita with char roe, the cheese -headcheese fakeout, & the lamb neck.

Thanks to RJ for letting me take the pictures.

I went last week, and had a great meal. I put up my pics and descriptions here.

My favorites were: the sea floor, the fresh radish with edible dirt, liquid chicken, the beet granita with char roe, the cheese -headcheese fakeout, & the lamb neck.

Thanks to RJ for letting me take the pictures.

I really liked the liquid chicken too. I didn't have the heart to tell my wife what the cheese course was. She had never heard of headcheese and I didn't think it was a good idea to tell her before she tried it. I actually liked it and so did she.

I loved loved loved the desserts.

Agree with the two posts above. I feel most comfortable in a place that has good food but is more laid back than formal. I don't want to be doted over. I also feel kind of bad spending a boat load of money on dinner. Over $100 per person and my enjoyment becomes inversely proportional to cost.

Mr. MV and I have a big anniversary coming up and I'm dithering over whether to book an expensive meal. Even Eve seems like too much green for one meal, let alone TIALW. I don't know, perhaps we'll let loose for once :mellow:

Psst -- Rogue 24 reservations surprisingly easy to get. +1 managed to snag a reservation this week for a specific day next week.

How? I'm looking on Open Table and everything appears to be booked.

RJ has been saying all along that only SOME weeknight tables will be on OT, and *none* of the weekend tables. You have to call. Their facebook posts imply that cancellations have opened up a few tables for tonight and tomorrow if you act fast.

Some questions for those who've been, and perhaps even for RJ. Are there set times for seatngs? How long does the meal take? Could it be faster upon request?

We seat 6 guest per 20 minutes......Average time for the Journey menu has been 21/2 hours. We cannot speed it up its a journey.

RJ has been saying all along that only SOME weeknight tables will be on OT, and *none* of the weekend tables. You have to call. Their facebook posts imply that cancellations have opened up a few tables for tonight and tomorrow if you act fast.

Based mostly on 1000yregg's photos and writeup (awesome stuff btw), I called. But no call back. Maybe not realistic to expect a call back but not sure. Will try again and keep tabs on this thread for whatever tips people post. Muchas gracias.

Culled from facebook:

• Call Bonji Beard at 202-408-9724 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from noon until 4 p.m. on Saturday.
  • Reservations now can be made online through opentable, tuesday through thursdays.
  • Reservations can be made by telephone or through OpenTable ONLY. We do not accept reservations via e-mail.

Culled from facebook:

• Call Bonji Beard at 202-408-9724 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from noon until 4 p.m. on Saturday.
  • Reservations now can be made online through opentable, tuesday through thursdays.
  • Reservations can be made by telephone or through OpenTable ONLY. We do not accept reservations via e-mail.

Merci

I think for a place like Rogue 24, it's important to make your dining experience there the focal point of one's evening, rather than, "a nice place to grab a meal before (whatever)".

If the focal point of your evening is an evening at the theater, a concert, a ballgame, or anything else, then I'd recommend NOT going to Rogue 24 first, unless your plans are much later in the evening. This is the sort of experience that oughtn't to be rushed; it ought to be enjoyed leisurely, with all diners relaxed and settled in for the ride. It certainly seems to me to be an experience to be savored, without having to constantly check one's timepiece to ensure that you aren't late for your next stop.

Having said that, once small plates are available in the Salon, then sure, take your chances with space availability, but for the 16 or 24 course journey, I think any plans for post-dinner ought to be either non existent or at least very flexible. Why rush this kind of thing?

Just my thoughts on approach. :mellow:

Based mostly on 1000yregg's photos and writeup (awesome stuff btw), I called. But no call back. Maybe not realistic to expect a call back but not sure. Will try again and keep tabs on this thread for whatever tips people post. Muchas gracias.

[*]Call Bonji Beard at 202-408-9724 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from noon until 4 p.m. on Saturday.

I'd bet a dinner at 24 that if you call during the hours listed above when Bonji is there you won't have much trouble. I've also heard that Chef himself answers the phone when he can. You can't say that about a lot of chefs.

I'd bet a dinner at 24 that if you call during the hours listed above when Bonji is there you won't have much trouble. I've also heard that Chef himself answers the phone when he can. You can't say that about a lot of chefs.

Think you owe me dinner (or lunch :mellow: ). That hasn't been my experience so far but to be fair and totally disclosive, I've tried to call just twice. Once left the message (agree that's probably not realistic to get a callback) and the other time it went into vm. Both times were within the designated weekday hours. But will try again and, based on others' experience here, I'm sure it'll eventually click.

Lisa and I don't get out too much these days - Spawn is a handful and babysitting costs a fortune. So when we do get out, we try to make it some place really worthwhile. Last night, we broke the piggy bank and headed out to Rogue 24 for the full blown 24 course dinner and pairings.

I don't recall the last time I had so much fun while eating out. I was constantly amazed by the creativity and flavors from course to course. The menu is posted online and what we had was quite close to that, so I won't repeat the details of the dinner. There were a few "off the menu" items that came to us, including Chef RJ's take on poutine (foie gras gravy? Eat your heart out, Martin Picard!) and the ice cold bottle of Labatt's Blue which I assume isn't a standard part of Derek Brown's cocktail program.

Highlights include the sea urchin (accompanied by "rocks" and "seaweed"), ossetra caviar, the shrimp and grits (the blast of corn flavour when you bite into the fried grits was fantastic!), the "fowl play" (I love the way the smoke hits you when the glass dome is opened ), the smoked char roe, lamb neck, and the jowl bacon. Dammit - nearly every course was another highlight, but the clean winner for us had to be the lavendar meringue topped with a generous portion of shaved foie gras. I hope that's on the Salon menu because I can totally see us dropping in for a cocktail and some more of that dish.

I have to admit that I was skeptical of the tasting menu concept but Rogue 24 is so exquisitely executed and brilliantly thought out that it totally won me over. Thanks to Chef RJ and his staff for a gracious and delicious evening.

ps...I reserve the right to retract all these nice comments if word EVER gets out of my public humiliation. You know what I'm talking about, Chef!

+1 and I really enjoyed our dinner there too. I won't retread what others have said better but want to mention a couple other things --

We really liked having the (nice, highly competent, extrovert) kitchen staff serve and explain the food. I wish more high end restaurants would do this, provided that they can do it well.

There is $8 valet parking.

The (generous) wine pairing went beautifully with the food. The non-alcoholic pairing was good too, but not on the same level with the wine pairing.

There's lots of availability on Opentable right now.

The contract make sense to me. Isn't this the same basic 'contract' (ok maybe minus the no photos thing) that you sign when buying tickets to a show or sporting event? You certainly cannot return those for a refund. It's not like this is a place that will have that many walk-ins to cover the folks that don't show.

Speaking of now shows, I wonder what the normal percentage of no-shows are for restaurants. I seem to remember discussions of folks making reservations at multiple places for a night then waiting until the last moment to decide which one to use.

The contract make sense to me. Isn't this the same basic 'contract' (ok maybe minus the no photos thing) that you sign when buying tickets to a show or sporting event? You certainly cannot return those for a refund. It's not like this is a place that will have that many walk-ins to cover the folks that don't show.

Speaking of now shows, I wonder what the normal percentage of no-shows are for restaurants. I seem to remember discussions of folks making reservations at multiple places for a night then waiting until the last moment to decide which one to use.

Fair enough but there are almost always secondary markets where one can resell tix for shows or sporting events. Not typically true for restaurants. And, 72 hours? I'm all for restaurants requiring credit card numbers (and charging them reasonably) to protect themselves from irresponsible and inconsiderate would-be guests. In fact, wish more no-reservations places would consider that. But give me a 24 hour deadline at most to cancel if I need to? Especially if it's a majorly popular and busy place where tables are hot commodities.

Do like very much what people are reporting about kitchen staff service, knowledge and attentiveness. Much of the contract is designed to better understand customer preferences and needs which, given the R24 positioning, is very cool.

I'm wondering if this contract was in place on day 1, or if it has been an addition since opening? I recall an interview with Nick Kokonas where he said Alinea was in danger of "losing money for the night if a table did not show."

I applaud the Rogue 24 team for trying to change the restaurant experience paradigm, and (again) Grant Achatz actually sells tickets to his new establishment. I know first-hand how no-shows/late cancels can have an adverse effect on a restaurants nightly performance; not to mention a servers earnings.

But I don't know whether the possible financial savings of this contract will outweigh the booking resistence it is likely to engender.

Fair enough but there are almost always secondary markets where one can resell tix for shows or sporting events. Not typically true for restaurants. And, 72 hours? I'm all for restaurants requiring credit card numbers (and charging them reasonably) to protect themselves from irresponsible and inconsiderate would-be guests. In fact, wish more no-reservations places would consider that. But give me a 24 hour deadline at most to cancel if I need to? Especially if it's a majorly popular and busy place where tables are hot commodities.

Do they keep a waiting list? I would think they'd have no trouble filling tables from it. I know that with some businesses they don't charge you if they can resell your spot.

If this policy somehow enhances the food, then I am all for it. I do not know how sourcing works, maybe they need the 72 hours to order their food for daily shipments so that they keep the freshest ingredients on hand. I am fine with blogging and cell phone restrictions. The contract also asks diners for their dietary restrictions and allergies, so it's not like these spots are totally transferable to any other diner on short notice.

The 100% penalty for being 30 minutes late seems a bit draconian, and I can't imagine that affecting the food quality. It would affect the dining experience of the party waiting for your table, and I agree some penalty should be levied, but that seems a bit much.

That all said, this arrangement would be extremely pretentious if the restaurant does not deliver an exceptional dining experience. Good to hear the rave reviews so far.

That all said, this arrangement would be extremely pretentious if the restaurant does not deliver an exceptional dining experience.

Perhaps the contract could be enhanced to provide the diner some type of warranty on the food and service, and maybe include a key personnel clause. One could argue that the current terms are too one-sided, and set a negative tone.

Well, that's another restaurant to cross of my list. The no photographs thing is a dealbreaker for me. If it was truly about the guests, it would be no flash photography. (We can debate another time whether people with point and shoots can figure out how to turn the damn flash off.)

Then again, I've never been one into having an experience at or a relationship with a restaurant. I go. I eat. I go home. The food is what I'm there for. Do it well, and there's nothing else of importance. Oh, except for the bar, and a good bartender :mellow:

Well, that's another restaurant to cross of my list. The no photographs thing is a dealbreaker for me. If it was truly about the guests, it would be no flash photography. (We can debate another time whether people with point and shoots can figure out how to turn the damn flash off.)

I signed the same contract prior to my dinner, but I did ask the staff when I arrived if I could shoot with no flash, and at the time, they said it was ok. RJ told me I was lucky because he was about to put in the full ban on picturetaking the very next week. He mentioned he was going to have a pro-photographer shoot pics of food that people could then download. I think he doesn't like it when food bloggers have crappy pics of his food.

Personally though, I would like to be able to shoot my own pics of food that I've actually eaten rather than "posed" pics.

I had a similar contract at Jose Andres é in Vegas, but they were pretty cool as long as I did not use a flash during that dinner. I don't know how flexible Rogue will be in their rules though.

Wow, all didnt think having a POLICY would conduct so much attention. I

Here it is in a nut shell.

Cell phones: use in the salon bathrooms and other areas but the dining room are acceptable. I was taught by my mama (Don you met her) that playing with toys at the dinner table were forbiden.

Cameras: what is different here then Komi? we want all our guests to be free from outside distractions.

Cancelation policy. We want our guests to enjoy the total experience and if you need to cancel we understand, we just want enough time to fill the seats. Unlike all other restaurants. We just put it into a form so Bonji can concentrate on doing her job much mor efficently.

Thanks

RJ

Then again, I've never been one into having an experience at or a relationship with a restaurant. I go. I eat. I go home. The food is what I'm there for. Do it well, and there's nothing else of importance. Oh, except for the bar, and a good bartender :mellow:

Jim you can shoot what u want but be discreat and dont let it effect other diners. Its hard to do in a dark dining room.

If this policy somehow enhances the food, then I am all for it. I do not know how sourcing works, maybe they need the 72 hours to order their food for daily shipments so that they keep the freshest ingredients on hand. I am fine with blogging and cell phone restrictions. The contract also asks diners for their dietary restrictions and allergies, so it's not like these spots are totally transferable to any other diner on short notice.

The 100% penalty for being 30 minutes late seems a bit draconian, and I can't imagine that affecting the food quality. It would affect the dining experience of the party waiting for your table, and I agree some penalty should be levied, but that seems a bit much.

That all said, this arrangement would be extremely pretentious if the restaurant does not deliver an exceptional dining experience. Good to hear the rave reviews so far.

We have reviesed some of the policies. Being that late does effect the food, the flow of the restaurant. We can only produce the max 6 guest per 20 minutes because of the timing of the food. when guests are extremely late we are in a position to make every arrangment to seat the guests in a manner that doesnt throw off the timing of the rogue team.

Jim you can shoot what u want but be discreat and dont let it effect other diners. Its hard to do in a dark dining room.

Chef Cooper, I appreciate the offer.

The photo policy is one of the reasons I haven't been to Komi, and the restaurants where Carol Greenwood was.

The food is what I'm there for. Do it well, and there's nothing else of importance. Oh, except for the bar, and a good bartender :mellow:

Don't forget the photography -- apparently you've threatened to boycott R24 if you can't take pictures. Which suggests, in a way, that the food is rather less important than stated, but...

All props to RJ and best of luck in his new venture. But...

I had to sign a contract to eat at del Posto, and I fucking hated being required to do so.

When I am required to sign a contract to secure a reservation, the clear implication is that the restaurant suspects that I'm the kind of asshole that will screw the restaurant owner over by not showing up, annoy the shit out of my fellow patrons (which I may have done in the past, but not over flash photography) or annoy the staff by trying to weasel my way around legitimate house policies -- or all of the above -- unless I have put my name to a legally binding document. In other words, the first message I get from the restaurant after signing up to eat there is that they don't really like me very much.

Yeah. The "hospitality" industry.

When I am required to sign a contract to secure a reservation, the clear implication is that the restaurant suspects that I'm the kind of asshole that will screw the restaurant owner over by not showing up, annoy the shit out of my fellow patrons (which I may have done in the past, but not over flash photography) or annoy the staff by trying to weasel my way around legitimate house policies -- or all of the above -- unless I have put my name to a legally binding document. In other words, the first message I get from the restaurant after signing up to eat there is that they don't really like me very much.

Yeah. The "hospitality" industry.

Hear hear.

I also would like to know if signing these documents prevents people who are going to be assholes in/to restaurants, from actually being assholes (I suspect not.)

Dining at restaurants with waitstaff (or some buffets) and getting my haircut are the only two services I can think of where I don't pay first before getting my goods and/or service. I don't see what the big deal is here. Why resent a business that acts how any other business (not in the hospitality business) would operate?

Dining at restaurants with waitstaff (or some buffets) and getting my haircut are the only two services I can think of where I don't pay first before getting my goods and/or service. I don't see what the big deal is here. Why resent a business that acts how any other business (not in the hospitality business) would operate?

Do you pay ahead in a hardware store, supermarket, or drug store? I am on the fence on this one, but just sayin'. Entering into a contract to eat as a restaurant is not the norm. I understand why they want it. I understand why some folks would feel apprehensive. Who does not take pause before signing a contract? In my experience, mostly cell phone providers and cable/satellite/fios TV providers require contracts.

A meal at R24 can cost more than a plane ticket, a hotel room, or a round of golf at Pebble Beach. All of those businesses generally require that you pay in advance or secure your reservation with a credit card, and have stringent cancellation policies. It doesn't really imply anything about their clients. Instead, it's just good business practice when you have limited supplies. High end restaurants are more like those businesses because of high opportunity cost associated with limited supplies.

Do you pay ahead in a hardware store, supermarket, or drug store? I am on the fence on this one, but just sayin'. Entering into a contract to eat as a restaurant is not the norm. I understand why they want it. I understand why some folks would feel apprehensive. Who does not take pause before signing a contract? In my experience, mostly cell phone providers and cable/satellite/fios TV providers require contracts.

yeah, you do. It's not like you consume things at the supermarket or hardware store and then pay for them.

Given the specific situation for this restaurant, I don't really see the issue. It's not the kind of place that can rely on walk-ins to fill any open slots, so they have to do what they can to protect the business.

Don't forget the photography -- apparently you've threatened to boycott R24 if you can't take pictures. Which suggests, in a way, that the food is rather less important than stated, but...

Boycott is a slightly harsh word. I think it implies that I'm trying to lead a movement, which I'm not. I don't really care if people go or not, and I don't think I've said before that I don't go to Komi because of it. (Fire up the google, I may be wrong about this.) I only brought it up because Chef Cooper mentioned it.

I'm not talking about taking pictures of the inside of the restaurant, the server, the kitchen, the chef, or anything else. The last thing I want is anyone thinking I'm being disruptive. I just think that if I pay to have food made for me, I should be able to take a picture of it. For me, that's one of the best souvenirs of the dinner I had. And as long as there's enough novelty for me in the DC food scene, I don't need to go to places that forbid it.

And I do appreciate Chef Cooper saying I could as long as I was discreet.

yeah, you do. It's not like you consume things at the supermarket or hardware store and then pay for them.

Given the specific situation for this restaurant, I don't really see the issue. It's not the kind of place that can rely on walk-ins to fill any open slots, so they have to do what they can to protect the business.

No, I do not. I am presented with the product and decide whether to buy it. That said, this apparently is too votilatle of a subject, so I will graciously bow out.

You answer your own question. It's the hospitality industry. It exists to make me feel like a king for a couple of hours, not to slap me around because I have the temerity to ask to pay them money.

Neither my tailor, my shoeshine guys nor my mechanic charges me before they provide the service I request.

A meal at R24 can cost more than a plane ticket, a hotel room, or a round of golf at Pebble Beach. All of those businesses generally require that you pay in advance or secure your reservation with a credit card, and have stringent cancellation policies. It doesn't really imply anything about their clients. Instead, it's just good business practice when you have limited supplies. High end restaurants are more like those businesses because of high opportunity cost associated with limited supplies.

But it costs less than a major plumbing job, and plumbers do the work first, don't greet me with a contract -- and take checks. And I would hardly choose to relax by dropping $700 to be treated the way Delta Fucking Airlines treats me.

I guess that's the question -- is their first priority my pleasure, or their bottom line? Obviously, the two are related. But signaling -- in the first moments of a relationship -- that their money is more important than my dining experience. If I asked you to sign a pre-nup on a first date (clearly an unlikely occurrence) :mellow: would it put a damper on the romance?

Boycott is a slightly harsh word. I think it implies that I'm trying to lead a movement, which I'm not. I don't really care if people go or not, and I don't think I've said before that I don't go to Komi because of it. (Fire up the google, I may be wrong about this.) I only brought it up because Chef Cooper mentioned it.

I'm not talking about taking pictures of the inside of the restaurant, the server, the kitchen, the chef, or anything else. The last thing I want is anyone thinking I'm being disruptive. I just think that if I pay to have food made for me, I should be able to take a picture of it. For me, that's one of the best souvenirs of the dinner I had. And as long as there's enough novelty for me in the DC food scene, I don't need to go to places that forbid it.

And I do appreciate Chef Cooper saying I could as long as I was discreet.

Clearly my focus was elsewhere, but I do think that there's a contradiction in declaring the importance of the food and then saying you won't eat anything you can't photograph. Kudos to Chef for being flexible, though.

A round of golf at Pebble Beach is $500....I've played there and I would not trade that for any meal in any restaurant anywhere.

If you're late 30 minutes and don't call....you deserve to be charged...double and flogged for being a douche

I hate cell phones in restaurants and at the table...sadly they are too common and people must have them.....but if I want to take a picture of my food that I'm paying for...I have that right and I will take a picture if i so desire with no reprocussions......FYI..I don't take pics of food, but I decide, not the restaurant...its only food people :mellow:

This is a special occasion restaurant and I fully support their right to protect their reservations and business model....if you want to go and agree to sign the contract, then dont complain if you didnt read the small print or want to change the rules. :unsure:

One story that seems relevant here: several years ago my wife and I built a trip around dinner. In Italy. Twice. At the three michelin star Le Calandre outside of Padua where others had made similar pilgramages for what was then considered by many to be the best restauant in that country. Calandre had a small dining room with perhaps 10 or 12 tables featuring prix fixe menus that ranged as high as E 200 per person + wine for 10-15 courses. On one of our visits there were two very enthusiastic diners at the adjacent table. Each had a camera. As each course was presented both would move around the table for the best angle, the best available light that would properly present the dish in their view finder. Neither used a flash but this didn't matter. Their focus on framing, actually staging the dish more than compensated for this.

Compensated in terms of how much it disturbed everyone else in the room. Again no flashes but at several points each had stood on their respective sides of the table and were intent on a number of exposures of each course. There was also the concern of one not to include the massive stomach of his partner in the frame. It might have been distracting in a particularly salacious shot of, say, foie gras risotto in a scalloped bowl.

The dinner lasted over three hours. Everyone in the room looked at them. They didn't seem to care; obviously they were at Le Calandre less about the experience of a dining adventure and more as reporters for a blog to share with their readers. Unfortunately this was at the deliberate expense of others in the room. For us it was more than the expense of the dinner: we had actually built our Italian vacation around our dinner reservation there.

This wasn't about presenting Massimiliano's incredible efforts most efficiently and deliciously; rather it was about how much they could disturb the rest of the room in their attempts to record this for must have been their blog.

I have no problem with a camera not being allowed in a dining room; nor with not allowing a cell phone. As difficult as the reservation was at Le Calandre (and we crossed an ocean for this dinner - twice) I didn't mind guaranteeing it on my American Express card-whether we showed up or not. (If we hadn't showed several of the courses just weren't going to be reheated or microwaved to be served the next day! Likely they would have ended up a loss for could have been a restaurant with a very narrow margin.)

There is a restaurant in Baiersbronn, Germany called Schwarzwaldstube which has three Michelin stars and 19 1/2 points from Gayot, their highest rating in all of Germany. It is also as difficult of a reservation as exists in Europe perhaps competing with the former El Bulli to get in. We've been there twice, too. We also guaranteed and signed something of a contract after confirming the reservation. Note that we reserved about one year in advance each time for our two seats in the 8 table dining room. I was happy to have something in writing from them. Germany is a long way to go to find out that they don't have your reservation. A "contract" can be a secure feeling for both the restauranteur and the guest. After the Le Calandre experience I didn't really want another photographer-or two-at our next table anyway.

I believe that at this level, the level of Rogue 24, there are different expenses and different expectations. At some point there will also be a different window to get in, perhaps not a week or two but rather months. I understand and accept the risks that the Chef and his partners are taking and am happy to accommodate them. I believe that for some of us we also have to understand that there are some "risks" involved in presenting this level of cuisine to a small room especially with a very narrow margin. And, especially when the restaurant is new, decisions will be made by diners on whether or not to visit a restaurant based on photos taken by bloggers. Decisions based not on sensorial or textural pleasure but rather on a photo. A bad photo doesn't help the restaurant. A good photo, however, as noted above at Le Calandre, doesn't necessarily help the nearby diners and what they may have endured for it to be taken. If the distraction is great enough it can actually influence the pleasure of their own meal.