Guinness Stout Calorie Count

DonRocks

The Guinness Stout (the one with the yellow label that's available everywhere, even CVS) in this country is brewed in Canada, not Saint James Gate, Ireland. I can't quite find a satisfactory answer as to how many calories are in a 12-ounce bottle. This much I know: It's less than you might think - but does anyone know what it is?

What does it matter? If you like it, drink it in moderation (or to excess with the requisite negative effects). Does it really matter how many calories are in your beer? Miller 64 and Coors light have 60-90 or so. Beer that actually tastes good has 150-250 or so. Seriously, drink what you like.

It sounds like the (now new-to-the-U.S.A.) Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is more authentic than the Guinness Extra stout that, for the U.S.A., is brewed in Toronto. More alcohol, so probably more calories. I understand that it is for the real stout lover. At $9.99/4-pack, you'd have to be :)

Incidentally, I had a Guinness at Restaurant Eve on Monday night, and Todd Thrasher mentioned that theirs comes from Ireland, not Canada, so I guess this is what he was talking about.

Incidentally, I had a Guinness at Restaurant Eve on Monday night, and Todd Thrasher mentioned that theirs comes from Ireland, not Canada, so I guess this is what he was talking about.

My curiosity aroused, I did a little bottle checking. This is what we get in the United States:

Guinness Extra Stout = Product of Canada (Ontario)

Guinness Draught Stout (cans or bottles) = Product of Ireland

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout = Product of Ireland

I have no information on the origins of any of the kegs that we get here in the U.S.A.

I've had genuine, Guinness-loving Irishmen tell me that the Extra Stout that we get here is not fit to drink and ought to be dumped in the ocean.

I can understand the "green" nature and appeal of local brewing, as opposed to sending heavy cans and bottles thousands of miles, but there are some experiences that simply cannot be precisely replicated

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout = Product of Ireland

Weighing in at 7.5% ABV, sold in 11.2 ounce bottles, and found at Harris Teeter for $8.49 a 4-pack. I'm getting a disturbing caramel undertone in the finish that may be the aftermath of that glass of Willett (*) I just finished (thanks Scott and Claudia). My palate is probably a bit tainted right now (how many critics admit this?), but regardless, don't expect a "Dublin pub in a bottle" with this beer.

(*) ETA 30 minutes later - indeed, the slight caramel undertone is gone.