Brookland Cafe, Near Catholic University - Closed

Having just moved to Brookland from Capitol Hill, it's been a bit of an adjustment away from plentiful bars and restaurants within a few blocks to not a lot to choose from. Last night, however, the +1 and I ventured north to Brookland Cafe (at the corner of 12th and Perry St NE).

It's a pretty small restaurant with seating for maybe 30 or so max (5-6 stools with backs at the bar and a bunch of small tables with backless stools scattered about). I think the most expensive thing on the menu is a Seafood Platter at $15, but most things range from $8-10. The menu has a variety of sandwiches and vegetarian/vegan items and a good list of side dish options. The dessert list, sourced from Delectable Cakery, is fairly extensive as well. Their HH (3:30-7pm on weekdays) includes $4 wines and rails and 1/2 price apps, and they also advertise a wine tasting every Saturday from 2:30-5:30.

When asked what her favorite thing on the menu was, the very friendly bartender/waitress mentioned that all of the vegan items were very good and didn't taste vegetarian at all. I'm a lover of all meats, but I went with the Vegan Croquette ($9.00 - Grilled Soy Protein Patty on Vegan Roll with Lettuce, Tomato and Onion, served with 1 Side) and actually really liked it. The bun was especially good with a touch of sweetness. For my side I got the Grilled Veggies (peppers, eggplant, squash and onions), which were really good and made me want to try the Veggie Wrap on another visit. The +1 had the Turkey Burger ($8.00 - Ground Turkey Burger with Lettuce, Tomatoes and Onions on Bun served with Fries) with cheese and sweet potato fries. The bite I had of the burger was tasty, juicy and well-seasoned and sweet potato fries can do no wrong in my eyes.

Service was a bit slow at times with only one server for the whole place, and I'm not a fan of the fact that they use disposable plates, utensils and cups, but I'm still glad that Brookland Cafe is in my new neighborhood and I hope to head back soon.