The Tavern at the Henley Park (formerly Coeur de Lion) - Henley Park Hotel at 9th Street and Massachusetts Avenue

Has anyone eaten at this restaurant lately or,has anyone cooked in the kitchen. I'm seeking opinions on the food or working conditions. :lol:

I had dinner there last night in the Blue Bar. I was really there for the jazz. The food was OK, but I thought it was going to be smaller plates. Had Ceasar and the steak (I thing it was skirt). Not bad, but not great, but the jazz was good.

I had dinner there last night in the Blue Bar.  I was really there for the jazz.  The food was OK, but I thought it was going to be smaller plates.  Had Ceasar and the steak (I thing it was skirt).  Not bad, but not great, but the jazz was good.

Thanks for your input! :lol:

Has anyone eaten at this restaurant lately or,has anyone cooked in the kitchen. I'm seeking opinions on the food or working conditions. :unsure:

Any new updates on this place?

It seems that this may be one of those old money places that don't get much business unless you happen to be here on business and already in the area. It looks absolutely beautiful from the outside, but I have NEVER heard anyone talk about eating there....

How exciting. No reviews for 3 years!

My husband found that Coeur de Lion was well regarded by google reviews so we decided to go today to check it out. We were the only diners during lunch. I started with a corn bisque with crab meat and was quite impressed. I LOVED the soup. I should mention that their warm bread basket was pretty nice with 3 bread choices: baguettes, bread with fruit in it (figs) and olive bread. I confess to sopping up the soup with a baguette slice.

For main, I ordered the seafood salad which was pretty on the plate. It came with 3 large shrimp and scallops and had a hunk of salmon in the middle (maybe 2 oz). I thought the salad was too salty but I'm expecting and my taster has been a bit off when it comes to garlic, salt, and one other thing that I'm forgetting right now.

So, I swapped with my husband who ordered the chicken. YUMMY. Nicely grilled chicken came with a cream sauce, fingerling potatoes which were downright creamy in taste and texture even without the sauce, baby carrots and some asparagus (both not overcooked).

I'd go back and yet am curious why it is so ignored...After dining there, husband suspects that the google reviewers are travelers who stay in the hotel. I suspect he's right given the lack of reviews here.

the last time i ate there it was 3 or 4 yrs ago the food was very good and so was the service; so i can't really say how the food is these days. however, i do know (and the main point of this post) that the maitre diva has left since i last ate there.

I was the first maitre d' there in 1982! :rolleyes:

Ha! I was four years old :huh:

They had a great reputation when they first opened -- no doubt due to Mark's influence. Mrs. B and I were exploring the urban frontier then and made my parents take us out to a meal there that I remember little more than that it was quite good, but blurred by many martinis. Seems that they -- as many had done at that point in an earlier real-estate DC-boom cycle had miscalculated demand and had to cut back on their commitment to top quality dining.