Gumbo

chiclet

I've always bought sausage - Andouille or other - at Eastern Market. Metro-accessible!

Only kind of a tangent - the last homemade gumbo I had knocked my socks off. Andouille/duck (although the chef, who is a legitimate Cajun who grew up in Louisiana eating the stuff regularly, swore that Andouille in gumbo is the exception not the rule, and "any kind of spicy sausage" is what you need).

Anyway, I think the key was using the rendered duck fat for the roux. This was hands down the most amazing gumbo I've ever eaten - and I lived in NOLA for six years.

I've always bought sausage - Andouille or other - at Eastern Market. Metro-accessible!

Only kind of a tangent - the last homemade gumbo I had knocked my socks off. Andouille/duck (although the chef, who is a legitimate Cajun who grew up in Louisiana eating the stuff regularly, swore that Andouille in gumbo is the exception not the rule, and "any kind of spicy sausage" is what you need).

Anyway, I think the key was using the rendered duck fat for the roux. This was hands down the most amazing gumbo I've ever eaten - and I lived in NOLA for six years.

this is pretty much dead on. you need a smoked sausage. Andouille isn't generally used in Acadiana, I can't speak for NOLA though. I bring my smoked sausage back in a cooler when visiting family so I can't really give you any tips on where to get it here.

Take your time with the roux. It will easily take 40-50 mins of constant stirring. You'll want to use something wooden and flat if you can, to scrape the bottom of the pot so it all cooks the same.

What kind of gumbo are you planning on making? Chicken and sausage?

this is pretty much dead on. you need a smoked sausage. Andouille isn't generally used in Acadiana, I can't speak for NOLA though. I bring my smoked sausage back in a cooler when visiting family so I can't really give you any tips on where to get it here.

Take your time with the roux. It will easily take 40-50 mins of constant stirring. You'll want to use something wooden and flat if you can, to scrape the bottom of the pot so it all cooks the same.

What kind of gumbo are you planning on making? Chicken and sausage?

I was thinking Sausage and Shrimp. Thanks for the advice!

Hi folks! I'm going to attempt gumbo. Where can I get some good Andouille around DC/Arlington? (preferably somewhere metro or bike accessible - I'm car-free these days)

Anyone have any Gumbo tips, recipes or tricks to share?

Cheers!

Carrie

Have you tried Whole Food? Some of them carry andouille.

Best gumbo tip I know, don't let the roux splash on you, they call it Cajun napalm.

Best gumbo source I know, Chef John Folse has an unbelievably generous selection of online recipes, searchable.

http://www.jfolse.com/newfindrecipe.htm

Also highly recommended Chuck Taggart's recipes online via the Gumbo Pages:

http://www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html

I am from Louisiana, my family has lived in Louisiana since 1725, and so, while I am not an expert, permit me to say that there is no such thing as the correct recipe for gumbo, and unless you spoil it, no such thing as a bad gumbo. Put your heart into it (figuratively speaking) and it will be delicious.

Just don't scorch the roux! If you do, throw it out and start over, it can't be saved. Edited to add: don't go off and leave roux unattended, it will go from not done to scorched within seconds.

I guess by now you understand that the roux is the most ingredient in a gumbo. You can make it with andouille, chicken, shrimp, duck, crab, whatever, but the roux is the star of the show.

Chef Folse's dissertation on roux -- personally I make dark brown Cajun roux for gumbo - aim high:

http://www.jfolse.com/fr_rouxs.htm

• Like 1

I've never had a gumbo that I LOVED, it seems like it's hard to balance all the ingredients. I gave up & usually make drunken shrimp creole(from the Surreal Gourmet Entertains, not exactly a classic source)-nice & spicy, served w/ rice & cornbread. But I would love to find a gumbo recipe I could work with & there are lots of great sources in this thread...

I've never had a gumbo that I LOVED, it seems like it's hard to balance all the ingredients.

To me, gumbo is comfort food, should taste like your grandmother made it. Both of my grandmothers made excellent gumbo. It's sort of like chicken soup for Cajuns and Creoles.

You are not shooting for wow, but mmmmmmmmm. Earthy, vegetal, the meat is not at the forefront, nor are spices.

Here's a tip. Most everybody in Louisiana cheats and uses Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning (pronounced "sassery") for a spice blend, and many, many cheat and use Savoie Old Fashioned Roux (not the instant powder, the stuff in the jar). Just like we don't make our own mayonnaise or mustard or ketchup.

I don't use Tony's because it's high in salt, and the salt-free doesn't taste right to me, and I don't have a problem making my own roux, but Savoie's saves a LOT of time.

And I don't know anybody who uses Paul Prudhomme's blend, nor Emeril's.