$20 Chili Dogs, Beer & more! at Del Merei Grille

goodeats

Hi all - the details are to come, but this is the next $20 event.

Please RSVP in this thread or PM me. Thank you!

Both Eric Reid and merei mary have been part of the dr.com community for awhile, so I am really excited they agreed to host!!

Yes, kmango +2. Would not miss this one, grateful we get a chance to have this last hurrah before Del Merei closes later this month.

Many thanks for hosting & organizing and let me know if you need help moving tables around.

(i've been doing kettlebell)

(ok, it's 8 pounds)

(more like kittenbell)

<tapping into the microphone.>

Hello. Heelllooo. Hi. <Reverb> Snurp.

Right now, I know of frickles, chili dogs and over 40 options for beer. Eta: AND MORE (see below.)

I know you all are waiting to see the menu. But at least think about it!

RSVP list

DonRocks + MattRocks

goodeats

KMango +2

mdt (+1?)

Scott Johnston

Family style:

Frickles

Deviled Eggs

Fried Chicken with Red Beans and Rice

Shrimp and Grits

Chili Dogs with Assorted Toppings on the Side

Strawberry Shortcake

Cobbler of some sort

And other stuff I'm going to send out

There is also this going on (copied from OT)

Free Dessert Day!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Get a free dessert in honor of the Top Chef Just Desserts Premiere! A dessert off our regular menu.

At least 1 entrée/person must be ordered for the free dessert (1 dessert per 2 people). Offer valid September 15, 2010

Both Eric Reid and merei mary have been part of the dr.com community for awhile, so I am really excited they agreed to host!!

Please count me in with a possible +1. Skipper

Latest update: Since we will be at bar side, family-style, there is now a limit set at 16 folks max. 7:00pm.

DonRocks + MattRocks

goodeats

KMango +1

mdt (+1?)

Rick Azzarano +1

Scott Johnston

Skipper10 (+1?)

Sweth

=11 definite, 13 (counting 2 tentatives)

For those with tentative +1s, please let me know asap!

Menu

Frickles

Deviled Eggs

Shrimp and Grits

Strawberry Shortcake

Cobbler of some sort

Latest update: Since we will be at bar side, family-style, there is now a limit set at 16 folks max. 7:00pm.

DonRocks + MattRocks

goodeats

KMango +1

mdt (+1?)

Rick Azzarano +1

Scott Johnston

Skipper10 (+1?)

Sweth

=11 definite, 13 (counting 2 tentatives)

For those with tentative +1s, please let me know asap!

Menu

Frickles

Deviled Eggs

Shrimp and Grits

Strawberry Shortcake

Cobbler of some sort

If this fills, Matt and I will happily take a deuce on the wall and just get chili dogs.

My +1? will be out of town, so it will be just me. Skipper

As the newbie, I was told I had to report back with a review. It will take at least a few hours until there is enough blood circulating to parts of my body that aren't my gut for me to do that coherently, though. So as a quick mini-review:

Deviled eggs: the usual ones at Del Merei, good as always

Frickles: honestly never my favorite dish at Del Merei, but still good in the salty fried category

Grilled franks on potato rolls. This was my Waterloo; between the toppings (Vienna Inn chili, cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, onions, roasted jalapeños, cole slaw, some sort of spicy red salsa that had a nice burn that built up over time, and of course bacon), I polished off a handful of these, and then realized that Eric had gone way beyond the call of duty, and we were less than halfway through the meal. Urp.

Chicken fried chicken w/ creole honey mustard. I've never had this at Del Merei, and now I'm kind of resentful to discover it so soon before they close. Simple and straightforward but possibly my favorite part of the meal.

Red beans & rice w/ andouille. I'm a NOLA snob, so I wanted some tasso in there, but still quite good. But by this point my intestines were crying uncle, so I only had a little.

Shrimp & grits. Good; normally I like the shrimp in shrimp and grits to be smothered in gravy, while this was in more of a light cream sauce, but given the drubbing my belly had taken, a gravy respite was not objected to.

Blackberry cobbler, strawberry shortcake, and vanilla ice cream. All were good, but the cobbler in particular was VERY good. (If the dogs were my Waterloo, the cobbler was waking up on St. Helena to discover that Wellington had come back to rub it in.)

I also now remember that KMango promised to do a review as a rap (the "Frickle Rap", I believe) so (to paraphrase from the Beastie Boys) now I'd like to pass the mic to K.

Excessive. Impressive. Successive.*

Last night's "last hurrah" left us cheering for more. More of Del Merei, that is, not more food. The doggie bags stacked up like styrofoam jengas, this $20 Tuesday was one of the best bargains I've seen.

To add to the thoughts above, the potato rolls and toppings, along with the distinctive grill flavor of the hot dogs, made ballparks across the nation fume with envy. Shrimp and grits, always a charmer, and last night's rendition sweeter somehow with the knowledge of the last chance. Service at Del Merei has always been a hallmark of comfort and care. Last night's announcement of each course with personal stories helped us better understand both the food and the history of this beloved neighborhood sanctuary. Eric's visits to the table, and relaxed conversation at the end of the meal, reminded us that this restaurant is ending on a high note. September 24th will be the party of a lifetime for anyone who can make it over to the Calvert Building.

All in all, a fun, feeling, and flavor-filled curtain call, an honor for us all to attend. Thank you, thank you to the entire Del Merei Team for everything you've done together, and for everything you'll each do next. Although separated, your skill, care, and enthusiasm will hopefully continue to benefit both yourselves and Alexandria for years to come.

A Class Act.

*I've called in reinforcements on the rap challenge. One of my high school buds became an MC, we'll see if he chimes in to my early morning request to craft our first-ever audio review.

It was indeed a great meal and night. Joanne and I enjoyed ourselves immensely. Can't add anything about the food that wasn't already said, but I can say I didn't try the shrimp and grits -- I was too full to eat by then.

Edited to add: Thanks to goodeats for setting this up and to Eric Reid and everyone at the restaurant for putting this on.

September 24th will be the party of a lifetime for anyone who can make it over to the Calvert Building.

All in all, a fun, feeling, and flavor-filled curtain call, an honor for us all to attend. Thank you, thank you to the entire Del Merei Team for everything you've done together, and for everything you'll each do next. Although separated, your skill, care, and enthusiasm will hopefully continue to benefit both yourselves and Alexandria for years to come.

A Class Act.

*I've called in reinforcements on the rap challenge. One of my high school buds became an MC, we'll see if he chimes in to my early morning request to craft our first-ever audio review.

In just over a week, I'm sadly going to move Del Merei Grille down to the bottom of the Del Ray section, along with the other closed restaurants in that neighborhood. I suppose many people don't know this, but I retire the restaurants with the same ranking they had just before they closed, and Del Merei Grille is going to be one of a select few to be retired in italic.

I've been to Del Merei Grille probably a dozen times over the years, and I'm going to miss it. Last night's dinner was an orgy, with leftovers galore - this morning, Matt was excited about taking his leftover chili dogs to school for lunch. How could I say no?

I assume you'll be back on the scene at some point, so I don't want this to read like an obit, but THANK YOU to Eric, Mary, and the whole Del Merei Grille team for many years of friendly, neighborhood service, and for consistently serving good food at gentle prices - it's restaurants like yours that are the reason this website exists.

Cheers!

Don

P.S. And yes, thank you to goodeats for all her hard work in organizing this wonderful event, and welcome to sweth as our n00b - he held his own with gusto.

*Dedicated to Eric and the gang at Del Merei Grille. Thanks for being so awesome to the dr crowd!!

Do the Frickles (KMango and sweth style).

Pass the bacon, red peppers, please.

Wha?! Can't hear you - mo' frickles, see?

Going out with gusto.

Can't get more must-o.

Until you get them all over your dog, yo.

Onions, jalapeno, chilis and slaw, so,

But nothing beats those little green, specko.

Fried in little slices.

Dipped in funny pieces.

Drooling all over,

forgetting my dog, er.

Those little funny green things - ya know what I mean?

Wha? Can't hear you - mo' frickles, please.