I don't think your sandwich came from Big Buns as they don't serve on plates nor are their tables dark wood.

3.Food.jpg

2 hours ago, hopsing said:

I don't think your sandwich came from Big Buns as they don't serve on plates nor are their tables dark wood.

That is correct, but it *was* in Arlington, a very pedestrian-friendly neighborhood in Arlington.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:31 AM, DonRocks said:

Anyway, now I'm thinking that it must have been Grand Cru Wine Bar, but they don't serve Cuban Sandwiches, do they? And neither does Big Buns Damn Good Burger Co. - has the format of this place changed in the past few years?

The Big Buns menu changed substantially over time.  They used to have chicken, fish, bowls, etc, and they would run specials on things that were a little off the normal burger track, so it is possible.  

The GrandCru menu also changed a fair amount, they used to have a few things I really liked that they took off the menu, very possible they had a cuban at one time. They had a big shift in menu likely around 2009 ish if memory serves me correct.  I used to study for the bar there sometimes in 2008 and remember the menu changing a lot from that time.

On 7/19/2019 at 5:37 PM, DonRocks said:

To borrow a question from another thread: Where did I get this?

BC04A88A-CA54-479A-B332-C870F47547D7.jpeg

Hint: That's not black pepper; it's a shake of oregano.

(I know, I know, but it's a darned good sandwich.)

Hint: You won't guess this - you either know it or you don't. Mouse over for the final hint:

Hint: There were smiley faces drawn on the white paper wrapping the sandwich.

Plus there's this. Both of these are, at the very least, "inspired" by Cubanos.

IMG_2429.jpg

BTW, Cheesetique has a Cuban sandwich that I think is far superior to Earl's.  It gets a very good press to it.

One of the specials at Breadline today was the Cuban, and what I saw on nearby tables looked like reasonable ingredients, but on a baguette....I went with my standard French Madrange ham (jambon) and cheese with butter on a baguette.

I'd rather not let this post be forgotten, because the first sandwich is very good, almost great, despite not being pressed (and having cubes of roast pork instead of slices) - I've had it at least three different times now, and it's better than anything I've had recently at Bub & Pop's or Earl's Sandwiches; the second photograph is important because the restaurant has a very good reputation, but the sandwich tasted more like a pulled-pork BBQ than a Cubano, and wasn't something I'd order again.

The first restaurant is in Virginia, and is something you want to try; the second, in DC, and something you want to avoid since there are so many other offerings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I'd rather not let this post be forgotten, because the first sandwich is very good, almost great, despite not being pressed (and having cubes of roast pork instead of slices) - I've had it at least three different times now, and it's better than anything I've had recently at Bub & Pop's or Earl's Sandwiches; the second photograph is important because the restaurant has a very good reputation, but the sandwich tasted more like a pulled-pork BBQ than a Cubano, and wasn't something I'd order again.

The first restaurant is in Virginia, and is something you want to try; the second, in DC, and something you want to avoid since there are so many other offerings.

Market 2 Market?

1 hour ago, JimCo said:

Market 2 Market?

There you go! The good sandwich was Market2Market - I cannot recommend the Funky Cuban enough.

How on earth did you know?

54 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

There you go! The good sandwich was Market2Market - I cannot recommend the Funky Cuban enough.

How on earth did you know?

Haven't been there in a long time. Had to be a sandwich shop in Northern Virginia that wasn't Earl's or Bub and Pop's. That was the only one that came to mind. (And I may have taken a look at an online picture to see if the pork looked similar...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1