House of Dynasty, Americanized Chinese at Hayfield Plaza on Telegraph Road in South Alexandria

I've eaten at House of Dynasty in the past -- it's 25 years old, and deserves mention in the "Oldest Restaurants" thread. I used to live closer, but I think it's been a good 10 years since I've been there. It hasn't changed much, and that's a good thing. The location is right across from Hayfield High School in the Hayfield Shopping Center at 7550 Telegraph Road.

Web site is http://www.houseofdynasty.com/

This is Americanized Chinese fare, with waiters in gold paisley vests and food glistening with MSG. It is a comfortable dining room, with one section raised a bit off to the side. The lighting and decor are very nice for a neighborhood Chinese restaurant, and somewhat upgraded over what I remembered from 10 or 20 years ago. Carry out has it's own section and door on the other side. There is a full bar with all of the "tiki" drinks like Suffering Bastard and the like. The wine and beer list is spare, but you can certainly get a Tsing Tao beer or a bottle of Columbia Crest chardonnay ($18.95) to accompany the meal. I was struck by the quality of the gratis tea, which had a light red color and an incredible perfume. I asked the waitress what it was and she said "oolong" but I've never had a cup of tea this good in any restaurant. And I had three cups tonight.

Lady Kibbee and I started with the lettuce-wrapped shrimp for two, a steal at $6.50. First came two warm towels for freshening up, and then out came a fresh cup of iceberg lettuce (times 2) came a large portion of chopped shrimp with veggies and spices. I would have that dish over and over again, or maybe even mix in the lettuce wrapped chicken. Next came a small shot glass filled with lemon sorbet to cleanse the palate, which has now been a tradition for 25 years at this place.

Our mains were the Shrimp and Scallop Hunan style for Lady Kibbee and the Crispy Shredded Beef for me. When asked how much spice we wanted on a scale of 1-5, Lady Kibbee said 1 and I said 3, but our dishes came out the reverse. Nonetheless, they were quite good. Her shrimp were the size of small lobster tails and the freshness of the ingredients and the flavor were really good. My beef was crispy and satisfying, with a nice crunch giving way to a tender, beefy interior on each bite. My sauce was a bit sweet, which is typical of the Americanized style, but for about $16, I had a better and more abundant plate of beef than you can get at Morton's for 3-4 times the price.

There was way too much food for normal adults to eat, but we soldiered through it and our tummies are full. Out came another plate of hot towels, along with fortune cookies, and our total with a bottle of chardonnay, tax and tip was about $70.

I'm sorry that I've wasted time and resources on many other Americanized Chinese restaurants around northern Virginia without having returned to this gem in the past 10+ years. I won't be making that mistake again anytime soon.

^Thank you so much for starting this topic!

Mr. MV and I have been enjoying HOD's take-out for a while now, and I've hesitated to write about it, simply because we've not actually had a meal IN the restaurant.

They have a brisk take out business-no delivery. On the right side of the building, there's a separate entrance to pick up your order.

The portions are generous, and the food is delicious. No heavy, gloppy sauces here.

My favorite is their House Shrimp, which I order extra spicy. I also think they've got the best Hot and Sour Soup around. I love the stuff, and while true Chinese food lovers will judge a place by say, duck tongues, I determine worthiness by this soup. My taste in Chinese food runs along the lines of "Americanized Chinese", so take my opinions for just that :(

Mr. MV's go-to order is Kung Pao Beef, which he thinks is also the best in the area.

We've had other dishes-can't think of them right now, but I do know that we've never, ever been disappointed. I wish they delivered, but having to pick up has not deterred us from enjoying their dishes at all.

I'd say we order 2 times a month--3 if I'm especially lazy :)

Definitely something I'd like to try-I also want to hit their lunch buffet. I haven't found any good Chinese places on my side of town (S. Rt. 1, nr Ft. Belvoir), I usually just pick up lunch specials from China Garden over in the Kingstown shopping center (& on that note, I can't wait until they open a Wegman's there).

Give House of Dynasty @ Hayfield a try.

The kids & I hit House of Dynasty for lunch on Friday, after a frantic morning of shopping (yes, I am a procrastinator). My daughter, Lizzy, had eaten there recently w/ friends, & raved about the pu-pu platter, so we had to get that. Mostly interesting from a novelty standpoint (my son was worried about the increasing flame), it had teriyaki beef, spare ribs, fried shrimp, carb rangoon?, & a strange eggroll w. creamcheese. Our lunch specials were OK (but not a patch on China Garden, practically across the street)) & service was exemplary. I am still looking for the Chinese restaurant of my dreams, which I'm sure I'm destined to find the minute we have to move away from here....

Not sure what might be the Chinese restaurant of your dreams, but it probably is not one that has the phrase "Americanized Chinese" in its title.

There are quite a few places that would come closer to fulfilling your dreams, right here in the DC area if you are willing to drive a bit. Per Don's dining guide, the authentic Hong Kong Palace is in Falls Church, fairly close to you. And two places I can personally vouch for in Rockville which are also highly rated are Joe's Noodle House and Sichuan Pavillion.

You should at least try Hong Kong Palace and A&J. Hong Kong Palace is our go-to place for Sichuan food and A&J has the best Taiwanese food in the DC metro area. It's served Dim Sum style so you can sample a number of plates and find foods you really like (try the fried chicken, it's marvelous). Don't expect food carts, more like mezze. Small plates are the rule.

My in-laws stopped by for an overnight last week and we decided to keep things simple and get take-out from House of Dynasty. They love Chinese and were really impressed with everything. As usual, I got the House Shrimp (spicy) and MIL got the Shredded Garlic Pork, which was amazing. It had a sweet and sour thing going on, with a light, not gloppy sauce. I'm adding the dish into our rotation.

I was debating whether or not this place deserved its own thread, but I recently learned that it is under new ownership and has a new Cantonese chef. The menu is still the same -- until the end of the month -- but the food is actually edible.

Carry-out tonight was Hunan Vegetables, Kung Pao Tofu, Garlic Seafood Combo, Crispy Shredded Chicken, and Spicy Eight Treasures. No need to go dish-by-dish, but the quality upgrade over the previous version of this place is significant. Lady KN and I agreed that we would order every one of these dishes again.

No, this is not a destination restaurant, but thankfully, this plaza has a legitimate Americanized Chinese option to go with Kanjana Thai as not-too-bad places to eat.

Just finding a good takeout place close by is noteworthy (speaking as someone who doesn't have one)-I had lunch yesterday at House of Dynasty, first time I've eaten there in 8 years, not amazing but glad it's there. I am very glad that I live in this area, so many great restaurants around here.

• Like 2

Just finding a good takeout place close by is noteworthy (speaking as someone who doesn't have one)-I had lunch yesterday at House of Dynasty, first time I've eaten there in 8 years, not amazing but glad it's there. I am very glad that I live in this area, so many great restaurants around here.

House of Dynasty has a new website to celebrate their 30th anniversary.

I love chinese food of all styles and Hong Kong Palace is our usual go to.  There are times when I miss the neighborhood American Chinese restaurant where people actually went to eat( as opposed to being primarily take out places).  This place fits the bill perfectly--really good renditions of all the chinese american classics in a nice atmosphere with friendly staff.  The seafood and chicken taste like better quality products than most of the local take out places.  The food reminds me of the chinese food I grew up with in the Pittsburgh area, and I have really enjoyed my meals there.  This place is now a regular in our rotation.  For people looking for the americanized chinese food of their childhood, this place does a better job than any other place in the area.  Glad to say that they have been packed everytime I have been there..hope they stick around for another 30 years.

• Like 1