Wine Retailers in MontCo

wahoooob

Hi all,

Hoping to reach out to the community for some advice. I am looking for a place to pickup some wine for my upcoming wedding at the end of October. I am thinking maybe 3-4 cases (well not sure really, but ballpark), half white half red. Right now looking in the $15-35/bottle range, depending on if there are case discounts, etc.

Anyways, my request for help has two wrinkles... One I live in Rockville, so off the top of my head the only place I know of with at least some selection is Rodman's. Two, my mother is coming into town today, and tends to be a bit.. 'particular' at times about her wine. Since we'd like to try a few wines before buying the lot, and she is here the next few days, I'd like to find a place where we could have a good selection to chose from and buy a few bottles to try - the challenge I am having is that with all the other plans, we don't have a lot of time to drive too far to get wine. So while I'm open to any VA suggestions, if there is anything closer I would be happy.

Hope that is enough detail, if not let me know. Thanks in advance!

oops I did check the index, and have Paul's on the short list as well.

For district based stores closer to Bethesda these are the one's I'm most familiar with and both have fairly strong websites for pre-shopping their sales items:

Person's usually has a good number of bottles open for their tastings: http://www.pearsonswine.com

Calvert Woodley usually has some assortment of lower cost cheese on sale - maybe they do the same with wine: http://www.calvertwoodley.com/

Finewine.com in Gaithersburg is excellent, and there is Cork & Fork on Bethesda Row or the new Bottle Shop in North Potomac (off Seven Locks, same shopping center as Amici Mei). Depending on where your wedding is located, you might have licensing issues buying wine in one jurisdiction for serving in another (at least, if you're working through a caterer as opposed to shlepping it yourself). Circle, on Connecticut Ave just inside the District line, is also a good choice.

<snip>and there is Cork & Fork on Bethesda Row <snip>

My sole experience at Cork & Fork was that the lady behind the counter was too busy talking on the telephone to even greet me or ask if I needed help, even though I was the only patron of the store at that time (although another person came in soon thereafter). Ymmv, I hope + I hope their other store has better service.

If Ace is too far into DC to go, Paul's is a good choice. They give generous multi-case discounts and they are friendly and helpful. If Bashir is there, he is the most knowledgeable about wine. Rodman's Friendship Heights is across the street and the prices and selection there are far superior to the MoCo Rodman's store. You may not get the best advice there, if you need it--it depends who is working that day.

On Connecticut near Chevy Chase Circle there are three stores: Circle, Chevy Chase Liquor, and Magruder's. I saw in the paper that Kumar, the wine manager who used to be at Circle, has now moved to Chevy Chase.