$20 Tuesday @ American Flatbread in Clarendon

DanCole42

"Vermont-based American Flatbread has found success with a very simple formula: unpretentiously serving up a menu of pizzas and salads with a focus on locally grown and sustainable ingredients." -Justin Rude, "Restaurant review: Clarendon's American Flatbread puts accent on local flavors," The Washington Post, May 28, 2010

You've heard me go on and on about AF on this forum, and now's your chance to try it for yourself! I'm working to organize an event at the new Clarendon location, which is easily accessible by Metro (or free parking) at:

1025 N Fillmore St Arlington, VA 22201

They are still working on the menu.

Please RSVP by responding to this thread (or PM me), and feel free to ask any questions you may have. I look forward to seeing you all there!

For this special DR.com event, your $20 gets you a choice of the following flatbreads (each one is enough for two people):

Revolution - Our slow-simmered organic tomato sauce, caramelized onions, mushrooms and three cheeses

Med Bread - Our homemade organic tomato sauce with three cheeses and herbs

Cheese & Herb - Our three cheese blend of fine all natural mozzarella, Asiago and Italian Grana Padano, garlic oil and herbs

Dancing Heart - A low-fat bread with garlic oil, Asiago, fresh cracked pepper, sesame seeds

As well as your choice of either salad:

Evolution Salad - Organically grown Spring Mix w/ organic carrots + celery, Arame seaweed, toasted sesame seeds and our fresh ginger tamari vinaigrette w/ our homemade fruit vinegar

Greek Salad - Kalamata olives, fresh cherry tomatoes, organic red onion topped with Cherry Glen Farms goat cheese

I think you should renegotiate. A Dancing Heart Flatbread and an Evolution Salad are ordinarily $17.98. I'm annoying.

I think you should renegotiate. A Dancing Heart Flatbread and an Evolution Salad are ordinarily $17.98. I'm annoying.

Add in the cost of non-alcoholic drinks...

The regular menu is also available. Like I said, it's tentative.

We're trying to get the DR crowd out to a great, local restaurant that has a true niche in the overcrowded Clarendon restaurant space. This is a true "practices what it preaches" restaurant, with ingredients sourced from local farms that anyone can buy from at any number of local farmer's markets. The food is simple, honest, and comforting.

I encourage everyone to give it a try when they can - this $20 Tuesday is just a way to formalize introducing the DR community to a restaurant that I think people will love: especially many of the posters in the Shopping and Cooking and Farms and Farmer's Markets fora.

Dan I might be in, depending when my trial that day lets out, it's in Arlington so as long as it doesn't run late I should be good, unless there is work I need to do for day 2 of trial.

Anyone know if the Clarendon location has gluten free flatbreads off the top of their head?

Add in the cost of non-alcoholic drinks...

They serve non-alcoholic drinks?

I'm only half joking -- there are only about 6 taps but they always manage to have something interesting. I think I go there as much for the beer as the pizza, though the pizzas are great ("flatbread" is a terribly annoying word, BTW). Anyway, I live across the street and would love to join you. I will probably bring a guest.

I think we should see if they will do a DR special pizza for us. They had a local ham and brie pizza as a special several months back that would make my personal episode of "The Best Thing I Ever Ate." Although ham and brie is a fairly obvious combination (if I recall correctly, there was also arugula), this pizza was sparingly drizzled with a light mustard sauce that really elevated everything. I liked it so much, I think I went 3 times the week it was a special.

In addition to being annoying, I am also, apparently, selfish.

Indeed they do!

How exactly does that work? They don't mention a gluten-free crust anywhere on their website that I can find; is it a variant that you can ask for w/ any of the pizzas (and if so is there an upcharge), or a special crust for just one of them? I know a lot of GF folks who would love to know of a good GF pizza.

How exactly does that work? They don't mention a gluten-free crust anywhere on their website that I can find; is it a variant that you can ask for w/ any of the pizzas (and if so is there an upcharge), or a special crust for just one of them? I know a lot of GF folks who would love to know of a good GF pizza.

You can have it with anything - I forget if it's rice based, gluten based, or what - but it's probably good. :(

You can have it with anything - I forget if it's rice based, gluten based, or what - but it's probably good. :)

Dan, this doesn't make sense :). Do they have gluten-free flatbreads?

(A quick google showed that Burlington, VT, does have GF flatbreads, but someone asked the Clarendon location this summer about adding them.)

(A quick google showed that Burlington, VT, does have GF flatbreads, but someone asked the Clarendon location this summer about adding them.)

I think he misstated the gluten based, he probably meant he didn't know if it was rice based, or some other gluten free flour base. I am hoping more like Udi's which is my favorite one so far.

Oops. Meant to write "TAPIOCA based."

My brain is full of tapioca...

Okay, here's what we've got:

Roasted Vegetable Kabob appetizer

Saffron Chicken Flatbread with Olives and roasted red peppers

Pumpkin tarts w/ vanilla ice cream

$20

That's enough food for two people!

Vegetarians (and anyone interested!) can also order off the menu.

This is a great deal in a great restaurant on a cold November night where there's nothing better than relaxing by a wood fire!

So far we have:

DanCole42+1

ktmoomau+1 (maybe)

Rovers2000 (and maybe +1)

kmango+1

Please reply or PM me if you'd like to be added!

Dan, I'd like to come next week but am just not going to know my schedule until probably Sunday. This is exactly the type of restaurant that I believe in and want to support. THANK YOU for working with this, and I'm sorry that more people aren't signing up - it's inexplicable, but it will still be fun.

New members maybe join us? :)

Thank you to Dan for organizing and to the fine folk at American Flatbread for being such gracious hosts. It was nice to meet a few new Rockwellians and as always, good food and good conversation made for an all around enjoyable evening.

I, for one, will be returning, it is my hope that the members of the board (and by extension their friends/colleagues) who have yet to try give it a chance...I am certain you will leave impressed.