Swell Friday Happy Hour Location

Waitman

Not as in "gee that's swell" but as in where the swells congregate to do their deals and run our world. A little elegant, a little quieter than usual for a Friday Happy Hour. Where Don Draper or even Cary Grant might go for a more discreet sort of meeting.

The Gibson? Round Robin?

Except on rare occasions, I am not in real life quite so swell that I won't be taking the subway, so Red or Green Line-accessible preferred.

Cheers.

Where Don Draper or even Cary Grant might go for a more discreet sort of meeting.

Totally off-topic so I expect this to be deleted but:

1) I am amused and bemused that Don Draper (fictional) ranks up there with Cary Grant (real, and awe-inspiring).

2) Jon Hamm (aka Don Draper) taught drama at my high school. Yes, while I was there -- he was very young and came back shortly post-college. I think he also coached lacrosse? No one ever thought he'd be as suave as Don Draper, though. (hey @ sandynva, I'm looking at you to back me up here?)

Carry on, all, don't mind me.

Totally off-topic so I expect this to be deleted but:

1) I am amused and bemused that Don Draper (fictional) ranks up there with Cary Grant (real, and awe-inspiring).

2) Jon Hamm (aka Don Draper) taught drama at my high school. Yes, while I was there -- he was very young and came back shortly post-college. I think he also coached lacrosse? No one ever thought he'd be as suave as Don Draper, though. (hey @ sandynva, I'm looking at you to back me up here?)

Carry on, all, don't mind me.

Cary Grant was every bit as much a creation as Don Draper. Just a self-creation. :(

Touché, sir.

I'm still much more interested in Mr. Grant.

(says the woman with the Blu-Ray special edition of North by Northwest)

Have you read Marc Eliot's bio of him?

I think the world would be a better place if we all took acid, practiced stichomythia and showed just the right amount of cuff.

And enjoyed an elegant tavern in which to do all three.

Not as in "gee that's swell" but as in where the swells congregate to do their deals and run our world. A little elegant, a little quieter than usual for a Friday Happy Hour. Where Don Draper or even Cary Grant might go for a more discreet sort of meeting.

The Gibson? Round Robin?

Except on rare occasions, I am not in real life quite so swell that I won't be taking the subway, so Red or Green Line-accessible preferred.

Cheers.

I would choose the Gibson. More important than the drinks: what will you be wearing?

I think that seating, as well as sound, are important for a stylish cocktail. SO many places have stylish bars, but uncomfortable stools totally unsuited to stylish clothing. Also, when you're looking for a stylish cocktail, there's a difference between a modern stylish cocktail ("fancy new thing") and a traditional stylish cocktail (martini, manhattan).

So, to be specific, for traditional and comfortable and quiet, I would suggest the Mayflower, the Prime Rib, and the lounge at the Firefly (but just the lounge; last time I was there the lounge was closed for a party and the bar doesn't fit the comfortable bill). Round Robin is right up your alley, but the service has been hit or miss lately--you may end up with a stylish evening, but you may also end up begging at the bar. I haven't been to the bar at the Capital Grille for a while, but that may do the trick. And dark horse: a friend and I were looking for a drink at 9 on a Saturday night, and everything on 14th was full except Posto, which had an empty bar and an indulgent staff; it didn't have the comfortable wingback seating, but was blessedly quiet and lovely on a weekend night.

Oh, wait--also, Quill at the Jefferson. Modern with a capacity for traditional, as well as exceedingly stylish, quiet seating to complement your stylish clothing and allow for discreet conversation. (This may be the winner.)

Oh, wait--also, Quill at the Jefferson. Modern with a capacity for traditional, as well as exceedingly stylish, quiet seating to complement your stylish clothing and allow for discreet conversation. (This may be the winner.)

I was just posting to suggest Quill when Safari crashed. I took it to mean I wasn't properly attired and have pulled out the Betty Draper dress and heels.

My companion is demanding food -- not fine dining, but more (I believe) than a charcuterie plate, no matter how excellent (this may eliminate the Gibson). Any of the many excellent recommendations above feature a swell hors d'ouvres or small plate selection, as well?

Would not the elegance of Plume in the Jefferson do? Or how about the POV lounge? The Oval Room bar, as tiny as it is? Funny, Blue Duck Tavern comes to mind too.

Of course, of the 4, I have only been to 2, and I'm not sure how metro-friendly BDT is; plus, I forget where the Jefferson hotel is too.

Another possibility is the Donovan House, where you can sit in a semi-Draper setting of Zentan.

Finally, perhaps Birch & Barley. There is a bar area, but can't remember if there are HH specials. Then again, I can't remember if any of the above has a HH special, so please take my suggestions with a side of olive juice (instead of grain of salt).

So, where did you go?

We started off at Plume, which was indeed pretty swell, though I think the tables would have been a little more elegant than the slightly overlit bar. I would be happy to explore again. We didn't find the food compelling, though, so we hopped over to the bar at Marcel's which hadn't occur to me at first but which is quite elegant itself. The fact that it was a little later and people looked more as though they were dressed for a nice night out rather than coming from the office surely helped, as did the jazz standards on the piano. And the hamachi.