Sous-Vide or Not Sous-Vide, That is the Quest: Shun.

bbhasin

On 10/21/2016 at 0:43 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

Info on confit sous vide:

"Duck Leg Confit Sous-Vide" on stefangourmet.com

it's supposed to taste like confitted duck.

When you sous vide duck legs in duck fat, it is confit, they are sealed in their own fat and cooked low and slow.  Which is the same as not being sealed and cooked low and slow, except that might result in a little more moisture loss, but probably not much less once you sear it off after sous vide... 

1 hour ago, ktmoomau said:

When you sous vide duck legs in duck fat, it is confit, they are sealed in their own fat and cooked low and slow.  Which is the same as not being sealed and cooked low and slow, except that might result in a little more moisture loss, but probably not much less once you sear it off after sous vide... 

Not ever (knowingly) had sous-vide duck confit, but having had Confit de Canard in the Southwest of France numerous times, I'd bet $1,000 that I could tell the difference, and I might even give odds.

I'm not saying it's not technically a confit; I'm just saying that it's probably a very different end result. Note also that "different" does not mean "better" or "worse"; it merely means "different." Rogue 24 used sous-vide all the time, and I had them ranked in Bold.

For those wanting to make some money, keep in mind that I've been fooled before by fried chicken. That said, to me, this isn't gambling; it's a way to make some easy money. Cuisine Solutions? What do you say? A friendly wager?

On 10/23/2016 at 0:44 AM, DonRocks said:

Not ever (knowingly) had sous-vide duck confit, but having had Confit de Canard in the Southwest of France numerous times, I'd bet $1,000 that I could tell the difference, and I might even give odds.

I'm not saying it's not technically a confit; I'm just saying that it's probably a very different end result. Note also that "different" does not mean "better" or "worse"; it merely means "different." Rogue 24 used sous-vide all the time, and I had them ranked in Bold.

For those wanting to make some money, keep in mind that I've been fooled before by fried chicken. That said, to me, this isn't gambling; it's a way to make some easy money. Cuisine Solutions? What do you say? A friendly wager?

We need a setting where you wouldn't per-se know you were tasting sous vide to avoid any bias in the mind.  For instance, at my house you would know.  Thinking... thinking...

I find that people in their mind have a bias against sous-vide.  I think it's probably like any modern upgrade- paddle shifters on cars for example, rather than a stick shifter.  The end result may be similar if not exactly the same in that I shifted gears and possibly in less time, I just don't like it.  But the technique used well is very, very good, if not better than the original for some foods (not all).

• Like 1

On 12/6/2016 at 9:01 AM, Simul Parikh said:

Anyone try the newer home models? Joule seems to be getting good reviews.

I have the Anova, got it about a year and half ago. I find that what I use it most often for is when I decide I want steak for dinner, but haven't defrosted one. I can put it a couple steaks form the freezer in a gallon ziploc with some garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper and thaw it out straight to medium rare doneness before throwing on the grill or pan fry for nice crust on the outside. Its as simple as you can get with a rotary wheel to set temperature and that's it. I haven't used the app yet. I like the smallness of the Joule, but having to get the phone out to operate it seems unnecessarily complicated for something that shouldn't be.

• Like 1

I suspect this isn't new, but it's the first I've seen of it: Cuisine Solutions is advertising "home delivery" as a sous-vide option to places like GrubHub - I just had this ad show up on a website I was browsing.

https://mycuisinesolutions.com/collections/all

I guess as long as they're honest about it, I don't have a problem with it; it's the "restaurant issue" I have a giant problem with - Cuisine Solutions is probably better than 70% of most delivery food you get sent to your front door.

On 12/14/2016 at 11:28 PM, dinoue said:

I have the Anova, got it about a year and half ago. I find that what I use it most often for is when I decide I want steak for dinner, but haven't defrosted one. I can put it a couple steaks form the freezer in a gallon ziploc with some garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper and thaw it out straight to medium rare doneness before throwing on the grill or pan fry for nice crust on the outside. Its as simple as you can get with a rotary wheel to set temperature and that's it. I haven't used the app yet. I like the smallness of the Joule, but having to get the phone out to operate it seems unnecessarily complicated for something that shouldn't be.

Do you just extend the cook time (double the time?) for the frozen steaks? Been interested in this aspect of the sous vide but haven't gone from freezer directly to the water.

22 hours ago, rhefter said:

Do you just extend the cook time (double the time?) for the frozen steaks? Been interested in this aspect of the sous vide but haven't gone from freezer directly to the water.

When I did this- normally the frozen steak would lower the cooking temperature and would be thawed when the water stays at the desired temperature, so I would use that as an indication.  But I normally do this more often with short ribs or super long cooking time items and you didn't really have to worry about an absolutely exact time period.