Lack of Recognition for New Heights

Greg Cox

I've been somewhat frustrated in the lack of recognition lately for the Executive Chef at New Heights, Logan Cox. Tom Seitsma's Fall Dining Guide makes no mention of this talented chef although New Heights received 2 1/2 stars from Tom. Other restaurants listed received lower reviews??? This 30 year old chef is spot on with his offerings and has continually upgraded the menu at New Heights. He is good friends with Tarver King at the Ashby Inn and received the same score from Tom. Many chefs in the area are confused by this ommision. We eat in all of the fine dining restaurants including Trummers in Clifton and the Ashby Inn and all of the DC establishments (Palaena, Citizen, Citronelle, etc.) and haven't found any meal that has better flavors and a better value than Logan's Cox's (yes, my son) at New Heights. Give me some comments to ease my frustration. Greg Cox

I've been somewhat frustrated in the lack of recognition lately for the Executive Chef at New Heights, Logan Cox. Tom Seitsma's Fall Dining Guide makes no mention of this talented chef although New Heights received 2 1/2 stars from Tom. Other restaurants listed received lower reviews??? This 30 year old chef is spot on with his offerings and has continually upgraded the menu at New Heights. He is good friends with Tarver King at the Ashby Inn and received the same score from Tom. Many chefs in the area are confused by this ommision. We eat in all of the fine dining restaurants including Trummers in Clifton and the Ashby Inn and all of the DC establishments (Palaena, Citizen, Citronelle, etc.) and haven't found any meal that has better flavors and a better value than Logan's Cox's (yes, my son) at New Heights. Give me some comments to ease my frustration. Greg Cox

[As much as I want to climb up on top of the Washington Monument with a megaphone, my hands are ethically bound, pop. Combine that with the "friends with Don Rockwell penalty" and you have ... silence. :)]

I've been somewhat frustrated in the lack of recognition lately for the Executive Chef at New Heights, Logan Cox.

Granted, my reputation is generally of a snark slinging curmudgeon, but in the past when it came to New Heights I heaped praise on the previous chefs. I hope to do the same for your son, just as soon as I get back there, and seeing a proud father standing up for his son's reputation makes me want to go sooner rather than later.

P.S. what do you recommend on the menu to get the best sense of your son's culinary vision?

I've been somewhat frustrated in the lack of recognition lately for the Executive Chef at New Heights, Logan Cox. Tom Seitsma's Fall Dining Guide makes no mention of this talented chef although New Heights received 2 1/2 stars from Tom. Other restaurants listed received lower reviews??

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere - people are mis-interpreting Tom's Fall Guide. It doesn't say anywhere that these are the best places - he left off a number of places that get 3 stars, and did not downgrade them.

What it's a list of is places that are both good and getting a lot of buzz. So your thought that NH is getting good reviews but no buzz is in fact validated by the guide, and doesn't say anything about whether it's still worth 2.5 stars.

I don't know why New Heights and Mr. Cox isn't getting as much recognition. To me it falls in the same camp at Trummer's on Main. Spot on food and creativity that just isn't getting the attention they deserve even though they are excelling while some other places are not. I try to give it out as a rec as much as possible because I really love it. I need to get back to try the current menu. We have been out of town so much we haven't been to a lot of our favorite places in a while.

I do think being in the dining guide will be a big advantage for a few months at least. I was also surprised at the size of the review for Central, very small. Some of the reviews were very lacking.

I think there's definitely a "good ol' boys" element to the DC fine dining scene, where someone generally has to be lauded by their already established colleagues in order to "make it." Being a former employee of both New Heights, it's one of the things that has been very frustrating to see, since Logan not only has a massive amount of talent, but is a genuinely good guy and great teacher as well that deserves to succeed. The only meals that I've had in DC that are comparable to what I've repeatedly had when I've eaten at New Heights in terms of quality and creativity were at Citronelle, CityZen and Palena (outside of DC, I'd include Trummer's as well). The food that Logan has been making is absolutely on par with those places (and was in my opinion even better-executed than what I had at L20) and is very similar to what Michael Carlson does at Schwa. And I'll be damned if that's not saying something.

Not that I disagree with the OP -- Mrs. B and I agreed the other day that we needed to spend more quality time at New Heights. But, might he have a certain familial prejudice?

More seriously, I'm not sure that 2.5 stars gets you cult of personality status. I have no idea who the chef's at Trummer's or The Tabard (another restaurant that maintains a high profile despite revolving chefs) either, among other well-regarded restaurants. .

I think there's definitely a "good ol' boys" element to the DC fine dining scene, where someone generally has to be lauded by their already established colleagues in order to "make it." Being a former employee of both New Heights, it's one of the things that has been very frustrating to see, since Logan not only has a massive amount of talent, but is a genuinely good guy and great teacher as well that deserves to succeed. The only meals that I've had in DC that are comparable to what I've repeatedly had when I've eaten at New Heights in terms of quality and creativity were at Citronelle, CityZen and Palena (outside of DC, I'd include Trummer's as well). The food that Logan has been making is absolutely on par with those places (and was in my opinion even better-executed than what I had at L20) and is very similar to what Michael Carlson does at Schwa. And I'll be damned if that's not saying something.

Hmmmmm....Could there be a connection?

More seriously, I'm not sure that 2.5 stars gets you cult of personality status.

Not that it should, but stars don't exactly equal a chef's talents.

If there's a great chef in an older dining room (like New Heights) that doesn't stink of opulence, or maybe has a green server or two (like Trummer's), then it's impossible to gauge how much of the star rating went into the food and how much went into the ambiance. I wonder how Schwa, for example, would fare in DC in terms of star rating- the chefs are the servers, there's almost no light, and music is blasting far over normal talking level. There's no element of luxury there, but the meal itself was the best I've ever had, but I doubt that it'd get three stars in DC. The actual review from Sietsma for New Heights (and Trummer's, for that matter) glowed about the food with a few exceptions, plus it seems that he's not a fan of "modern" cooking techniques, which are utilized in both places. It all obviously comes down to personal opinion, but "star-rating" should only be an element of judging the talents of a chef, not the defining factor.

based upon a dinner 2 weeks ago,,,am flabbergasted(sic?)/flummoxed at lack of support in the media. elegant, sophisticated, soulful and delicious food.

logan is one of the top talents in dc, and deserves the communities support. imho, of course.

based upon a dinner 2 weeks ago,,,am flabbergasted(sic?)/flummoxed at lack of support in the media. elegant, sophisticated, soulful and delicious food.

logan is one of the top talents in dc, and deserves the communities support. imho, of course.

You are kidding me right? A chef's father complains that his son is not getting enough attention and that is a legitimate topic of discussion here? And posters here complain about Yelp?

You are kidding me right? A chef's father complains that his son is not getting enough attention and that is a legitimate topic of discussion here? And posters here complain about Yelp?

no. i ate there, and had a great time. delicious food/awesome company

. maybe i'm crazy, that a father is proud of his son.

this is the time where I say " Geez Dad! Come on, Stop embarrassing me in front of my friends!!"

But last time I checked this is a free site which allows any user to (post/blog/boast/support/comment/declare war upon/ message/hug) about or against any place they choose. Don't get me wrong, my father might be a little biased(im not exactly sure why because he is an extremely handsome bearded man that happens too look a lot like me) but he's speaking his mind about dc dining. I'm sure we all, at certain times have done this; maybe about a place where a good relationship with a bar tender or server or owner of a restaurant had been established? Or maybe about a restaurant that wasn't getting the recognition that we thought it deserved. I'm pretty sure the most uncomfortable person this makes is me although this is what donrockwell.com is all about a place to speak your mind about restaurants. Miami Danny if this ruffled your feathers I do apologize. I do not consider it to be anything like the "yelp and extortion" thread as no payment was received(especially on my end and as far as I know my father's). We all see plugs for personal interest on this site all the time. If you're interested to either come in to dine or see what were doing on the menu there is a blog.

www.logancoxatnewheights.blogspot.com

other than that all I can say is Greg Cox is the man... and i know this from personal experience.

Is there a rulebook printed someplace about what it is that can and cannot be discussed or even who can comment about whom? If so I would really like to read it, if not, as you seem to believe that everyone else here are just a load of idiots, maybe you should write it for us.

But to your comparison with Yelp, this seems to be an honest and open thread where the initiator makes no attempt to hide his relationship and bias, that is quite different from the shills that dominate Yelp.

Granted, my reputation is generally of a snark slinging curmudgeon, but in the past when it came to New Heights I heaped praise on the previous chefs. I hope to do the same for your son, just as soon as I get back there, and seeing a proud father standing up for his son's reputation makes me want to go sooner rather than later.

P.S. what do you recommend on the menu to get the best sense of your son's culinary vision?

You might want to check out his blog at www.logancoxatnewheights.blogspot.com

this is the time where I say " Geez Dad! Come on, Stop embarrassing me in front of my friends!!"

But last time I checked this is a free site which allows any user to (post/blog/boast/support/comment/declare war upon/ message/hug) about or against any place they choose. Don't get me wrong, my father might be a little biased(im not exactly sure why because he is an extremely handsome bearded man that happens too look a lot like me) but he's speaking his mind about dc dining. I'm sure we all, at certain times have done this; maybe about a place where a good relationship with a bar tender or server or owner of a restaurant had been established? Or maybe about a restaurant that wasn't getting the recognition that we thought it deserved. I'm pretty sure the most uncomfortable person this makes is me although this is what donrockwell.com is all about a place to speak your mind about restaurants. Miami Danny if this ruffled your feathers I do apologize. I do not consider it to be anything like the "yelp and extortion" thread as no payment was received(especially on my end and as far as I know my father's). We all see plugs for personal interest on this site all the time. If you're interested to either come in to dine or see what were doing on the menu there is a blog.

www.logancoxatnewheights.blogspot.com

other than that all I can say is Greg Cox is the man... and i know this from personal experience.

Guess I stirred things up. Sorry for any embarrassment but my words are very objective as you know. Pop

You could always open your own successful restaurant to show the rest of us how it is done--the right way!

Or you could start your own web-site that will have, fingers-crossed, 3500 hits a year--90% of which will no doubt be re-directs from this site.

Or maybe you already have (dun dun dun-dunnn)...

There are few chefs with inborn food sense like logan. I've seen may chefs give everything they have to the profession and never feel cuisine like logan does. I've always been in awe of his ways with food and probably always will be. It may be biased of me to say these things since were good friends, but I know them to be true. logan has a huge future and I'm sure hell have more recognition than all of us soon.

Having enjoyed fantastic meals with him as chef at New Heights (and how many of the meals we have all enjoyed at Palena were actually prepared by him?)--and having grown up in this industry holding New Heights as the pinnacle of aspirational inspiration and the paradigm of achievement with integrity--I would tend to concur. There is something that comes through in his cooking which, while not fully formed or refined, is very very promising. My one sense is that his cooking is not quite his yet, but rather what he thinks his cooking should be.

My inborn business sense tells me, though, that if he were to simplify his plates and lower the prices by 10-15% to make it accessible to every day dining, in such an iconic attraction as New Heights, he would have lines out the door and more recognition than he could ever want.

There are few chefs with inborn food sense like logan. I've seen may chefs give everything they have to the profession and never feel cuisine like logan does. I've always been in awe of his ways with food and probably always will be. It may be biased of me to say these things since were good friends, but I know them to be true. logan has a huge future and I'm sure hell have more recognition than all of us soon.

I was really lucky that my friend suggest New Heights last year or else I wouldn't have known about it. I've been there twice and really enjoyed the food and drinks. My friend and I will definitely go back to try Logan's new dishes.

I was really lucky that my friend suggest New Heights last year or else I wouldn't have known about it. I've been there twice and really enjoyed the food and drinks. My friend and I will definitely go back to try Logan's new dishes.

Wait a week - they just got a new pastry chef (Donald Smith from Eola), and are planning to up both desserts and bread service in a big way (see the dessert on the cover of the 2011 Washingtonian Top 100 Restaurants issue? That's him. Also, don't forget Amy Smoyer (from Eventide) is now their Bar Manager and is developing her own identity and a new cocktail program, but this all takes time (just to order the liquors and mixers she wants, for example).

(Disclosure which I'll eventually rewrite, but it'll have to do for now.)