Favorite Ethnic Market

Gastro888

In other news, the former Germantown Safeway at Wisteria and MD118 has finally found a new occupant: Lotte Plaza(?). Paper on the windows, contractors doing final installs, lots of Korean gentlemen in suits tromping about, and what even looked like a couple of shelves ready to be stocked. In addition, a renovation of the entire strip mall's facade is well under way.

Bestway Supermarket recently opened on Telegraph Rd. at Hungtington Rd., just below the Beltway. As expected, lots of fresh produce with Latino emphasis. Prices were great, with lemons 4/$1, big bunch cilantro $.50.

There were many milk product; all sorts of creams, quesos.

Beans, spices, banana leaves, corn husks..

Baked goods are not made on premises. No bakery.

Excellent resource for beef and chicken stock with chicken organs, necks, wings , feet etc, and beef oxtail, neck bones.

Fish section with head on shrimp, and several varieties of fish, all of which looked and smelled fresh. I was very tempted to get red snapper, but had a meal planned already based on farmer's market purchases.

We live in the neighborhood with the Bestway market and did some serious shopping there this weekend. Unfortunately, we ran afoul of a fowl, specifically the "Baby Fowl", which was the toughest little chickens I've ever encountered. ;) They may be suitable for boiling or other long, slow, moist methods of cooking, but for roasting they are a strikeout, an inedible bird giving me the bird.

Having said that, I have a flank steak from there we'll try tonight. Hopefully it will be better. Caveat emptor.

We live in the neighborhood with the Bestway market and did some serious shopping there this weekend. Unfortunately, we ran afoul of a fowl, specifically the "Baby Fowl", which was the toughest little chickens I've ever encountered. ;) They may be suitable for boiling or other long, slow, moist methods of cooking, but for roasting they are a strikeout, an inedible bird giving me the bird.
Hm, I wonder what that was. Usually the term "fowl" indicates an old bird needing long cooking, but "baby" obviously sends the opposite signal. A superannuated Cornish hen, perhaps? The old stewing hens I've gotten at Bestway have been excellent, but they certainly weren't described as babies, and they certainly weren't any good for roasting.

Hm, I wonder what that was. Usually the term "fowl" indicates an old bird needing long cooking, but "baby" obviously sends the opposite signal. A superannuated Cornish hen, perhaps? The old stewing hens I've gotten at Bestway have been excellent, but they certainly weren't described as babies, and they certainly weren't any good for roasting.

I think baby only described the size; I'm convinced it had died of old age.

We bought a flank steak there as well. I cooked it last night, and it was tasty. We're having leftovers tonight.

We live in the neighborhood with the Bestway market and did some serious shopping there this weekend. Unfortunately, we ran afoul of a fowl, specifically the "Baby Fowl", which was the toughest little chickens I've ever encountered. :angry: They may be suitable for boiling or other long, slow, moist methods of cooking, but for roasting they are a strikeout, an inedible bird giving me the bird.

Having said that, I have a flank steak from there we'll try tonight. Hopefully it will be better. Caveat emptor.

Kinda makes me think of black chickens, which needs to be cooked a long time. But I'm guessing it wasn't one of those.

Anybody know of a good Latino market in DC? I'm thinking AdamsMorgan/ColumbiaHeights might be the best area to find one, but the closer to Dupont, the better.

In particular, I'm looking for corn husks and masa. It's tamale-time.

Wish you had asked earlier...I was in Austin two weekends ago & would have picked some up from Central Market for you. Alas, you might be hard pressed to find a brick & mortar place...might want to go online?

Bestway in Adams Morgan is supposed to be good. You should be able to find corn husks there. And masa harina para tamales, if that is what you are looking for. If you want fresh masa, you have to call Moctec in Landover and order some, and drive out there to pick it up. It's the only place reasonably nearby to get fresh masa.

This isn't in ferment everything's requested range, but for anyone else -- Selectos Latinos supermarket is now open in Rockville where Lotte Korean supermarket used to be (11716 Parklawn Dr. near Boiling Brook Parkway). They have masa flour (the kind in the bags like regular flour) and dried corn husks. I also noticed cactus leaves (nopalito) in their produce section. There seemed to be many cheeses in the refrigerated dairy case, but I'm not familiar enough with the cheeses to judge how good their selection is compared to other stores.

On a tip, I walked up to Todito's Market this morning and picked up corn husks, masa, and some other tasty-looking treats. They are right on Columbia, just south of Biltmore (a half-block west from 18th). No website that I could find, but here's a map. Funny how many times I have walked by this place and it never registered that it was there. Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Actually, I was thinking of India Gourmet (13220 Wisteria Dr, Germantown), in the Churchill Business Center at Wisteria and Father Hurley.

India Gourmet changed names to N Market a while back, and reorganized the interior as well. The rightmost wall is pretty much dedicated to savory snack items now. They carry a wider variety of MTD heat-and-eat items than I've ever seen, and a good selection of pickle and chutney brands. I think they've given up on having a dedicated meat counter, installing a couple walls worth of display freezers instead, but there's a sign behind the cashier that says they carry halal chicken, goat, and baby goat.

There's a small Indian market in Ritchie Center on Rockville Pike that I never noticed. It has a number of frozen Indian meals I've never seen before as well as various Indian desserts. They also sell various spices, mixes, beans and snack foods. Need to explore some more. I don't remember seeing any fresh produce though.

There's a small Indian market in Ritchie Center on Rockville Pike that I never noticed. It has a number of frozen Indian meals I've never seen before as well as various Indian desserts. They also sell various spices, mixes, beans and snack foods. Need to explore some more. I don't remember seeing any fresh produce though.

We stopped by there a few years ago after eating sushi at a now defunct restaurant. Walked in because my MIL said she likes to stop in to get the flat bread. We bought some, and were convinced to get the gelato they served. As I recall, it was very good, and they had a generous selection of dried/canned goods. I believe they had some fresh produce at the time, but it's been too long to say for certain. We were just in the center recently for some bubble tea, and I noted that the Indian market was still there, and that we should stop in again next time, since we were short on time and couldn't stop in that day.

We stopped by there a few years ago after eating sushi at a now defunct restaurant. Walked in because my MIL said she likes to stop in to get the flat bread. We bought some, and were convinced to get the gelato they served. As I recall, it was very good, and they had a generous selection of dried/canned goods. I believe they had some fresh produce at the time, but it's been too long to say for certain. We were just in the center recently for some bubble tea, and I noted that the Indian market was still there, and that we should stop in again next time, since we were short on time and couldn't stop in that day.

I think you're referring to Sam's Cafe, which is a Persian market (and adjacent cafe). That's a decent market, and they definitely have fresh produce, but the gelato is especially awesome.

But I think there also might be an Indian market in the same shopping center.

I think you're referring to Sam's Cafe, which is a Persian market (and adjacent cafe). That's a decent market, and they definitely have fresh produce, but the gelato is especially awesome.

But I think there also might be an Indian market in the same shopping center.

Yes the Indian market is pretty much next door. They sell a lot of different naans there. Sam's pomegranate gelato is delicious.

The Persian gelato with saffron is amazing, if you like saffron. Their gelato often has a gritty texture which I like, reminds me of home made ice cream from a White Mountain ice cream maker, tiny ice crystals.

Someone on the bus told me the best source for Latina/o groceries in the Silver Spring area is Pan-America, a store around the 4 Corners area or University Blvd. Superior to Bestways Maryland, though I intend to check out the latter, too.

I am coming up w nothing in a google search, though I did find Panamericana Grocery on 14th in D.C.

Help? Thanks.

Someone on the bus told me the best source for Latina/o groceries in the Silver Spring area is Pan-America, a store around the 4 Corners area or University Blvd. Superior to Bestways Maryland, though I intend to check out the latter, too.

I am coming up w nothing in a google search, though I did find Panamericana Grocery on 14th in D.C.

Help? Thanks.

Not that I've been there but my best guess is the one on University is probably in the old Maxim/Masim market on Piney Branch, across University from Samantha's. Sigh. I miss the old Maxim.

That's PANAM Latino Market at the corner of University Blvd and Piney Branch. It's shares a building with a thrift shop and a restaurant.

In Adelphi Plaza on University Blvd is PANAM International Supermarket, which looks bigger. Close to the original Ledo Pizza place.

I haven't tried either one.

That's PANAM Latino Market at the corner of University Blvd and Piney Branch. It's shares a building with a thrift shop and a restaurant.

In Adelphi Plaza on University Blvd is PANAM International Supermarket, which looks bigger. Close to the original Ledo Pizza place.

I haven't tried either one.

I'm glad you posted...I was pretty certain it was the one you mentioned, but I needed to confirm and kept forgetting to look up as we drove by it every day! I did confirm this morning, it is the PANAM Market and Thrift store, and it is in the building at the SE corner of Univ and Piney Branch. For anyone who remembers, that building used to be a bowling alley, and it is pretty large---if the one in Adelphi plaza is even bigger, it must be huge.

Anyone here tried the American Grocery store that is virtually across the street from the Best Way in Silver Spring, on the way to Langley Park?

Best Way gets more business and as a result, its produce is generally in better shape and a real bargain. For example, this weekend I walked away w two lemons, a grapefruit, two tangerines, a slim, pristine bunch of scallions, a pound of plump gingerroot and three pounds of yellow onions for $4.76.

The American Grocery's groceries cater to the same Latina/o and African shoppers and serve bargain hunters well as long as you know what other stores charge. It's where I plan to go to stock up on Goya's dried beans. Chickpeas for around $1.59 and cannellini for $1.85 in one-lb. bags. Not sure how these prices compare to Costco or other huge retail stores, but this place is convenient for me and independent as far as I can tell.

Costc and Sams don't sell dried beans.

Also, Costco and Sams don't sell small quantities like a couple of onions or a bunch of scallions. You buy three pounds of lemons or no lemons at all. Five pounds of onions or no onions at all. A bag of avocados or no avocados at all. Nothing in between.

They make their price by selling huge bulk. If you are going to shop a warehouse store, you need a big family or a lot of friends or a lot of storage space.

I really like El Patio, the Argentine cafe/market near the Twinbrook metro station. Their homemade alfajores (cookies with dulce de leche) are delicious. I don't buy a lot things there anymore though (although I do my fair share of eating there--empanadas, pastel de choclo, etc.). They used to sell boxes of La Havanna alfajores and individually, but haven't had them in some time. Vace in Cleveland Park carries some of the same items from Argentina(like mate tea) and dulce de leche, but I prefer the overall experience at El Patio. I enjoy talking to the people who work there aabout all things Argentine--politics, soccer, slang, etc. Viva Argentina! :(