Mandalay, The Myint Family's Burmese in Silver Spring, Moving Closer to Walter Reed in 2020

Well, that was one of the stranger dining experiences I've had.  With a couple of caveats, we enjoyed ourselves very much.

Let's start with the most positive (and most important) thing: the food was pretty delicious across the board.  Based solely on our meal, I'm not sure there's anything they're doing with the tasting menu format that couldn't also be done just as delightfully with a la carte dishes (about which see more below), but every course had good flavors and textures and there were no misses in the bunch.  I particularly enjoyed the coconut curry soup with egg and crispy noodles, and my girlfriend's favorite was the beef with chive blossoms.  I've never had the privilege of visiting the Silver Spring location, but I would certainly urge DC folk to come and dine in the new digs in Shaw.  We also spent a good amount of time talking with Chef Aung, and he's a great guy who absolutely knows what he's doing in the kitchen.  Mandalay is a great addition to the D.C. food scene, and I hope it sticks.

The space is also very nice (both upstairs and downstairs), and much larger than I was expecting.  My perception here might be slightly skewed, however, because we were literally the only diners our entire time there.  As a result, the empty tables surrounding us may have given the space a decidedly cavernous feel that would translate to warm and homey on a busier night.  Obviously the restaurant has been open for less than a month, but in a D.C. scene where thoroughly mediocre restaurants can pick up buzz from the start and remain "trendy" and in high demand for years, it was disappointing to sit there by ourselves realizing that the ~$200 tab from our meal probably wasn't even covering costs for the night.  Maybe it's because Halloween isn't a typical night to dine out -- Chef Aung was extremely personable and cheerful throughout and definitely made reference to the restaurant being busier on other nights.  Still, I don't think we've ever been the only table in a restaurant of that size before, and I hope that people will start coming with more consistent volume.

The location might play a part in this, as I don't imagine there's anywhere near the kind of foot traffic down 9th Street in that spot that you would get, say, along the strip near the Shaw Metro where Mockingbird Hill and Eat the Rich are, let alone somewhere like 14th Street.  At least not yet.  (I wouldn't be surprised if that neighborhood explodes in the next year or so.)

However, I do also share Don's concerns voiced earlier in this thread about the tasting-menu concept being viable on its own for this space.  I have no experience in the industry except as a dedicated diner, but I do feel that an a la carte menu of Chef Aung's delicious dishes could be successful alongside, or instead of, the $70 tasting menu, and while I greatly admire the market-visit-driven, different-ingredients-and-menu-plan every day ethos that Chef Aung is implementing, the specific dishes last night were distinct enough to stand on their own outside of the tasting menu progression, and I can't help but feel that they could increase their customer base substantially (again, based solely on my one data point from last night) by offering -- and, more importantly, PUBLICIZING -- a la carte selections upstairs as well as down, for those people for whom the idea of a $70 tasting menu is a barrier to entry...or, at least, a barrier to considering Mandalay as a spur of the moment weeknight dining destination.  (Damn, that was a long sentence.)  I know that there are offerings at the bar lounge, as Vincent describes, and maybe I'm being unduly pessimistic about the viability of the concept based solely on an off-night, but it's something to consider.  I'd like to go back, and I'm pretty sure I'd go back more frequently if I knew that I could just go grab some delicious soup and a yummy and piquant mango salad on a whim without making arrangements in advance for a seven-course adventure.

A couple of other assorted notes:

1) I was disappointed to learn that the beverage director whose creations Vincent extolled in his message last week has apparently parted ways with the restaurant.  I found the cocktail pairings from the new bar staff fairly mediocre, with one (a mango-vanilla infusion) being extremely sweet without much depth, and a couple of the others (a champagne cocktail to start, and something with gin, lime juice, and cointreau) to be refreshing but not exceptional.  I'm a self-admitted cocktail snob, though, so others' mileage may vary.

2) I was similarly disappointed (although now I find it completely understandable) that the restaurant was no longer offering a complimentary non-alcoholic pairing with the tasting menu courses.  Vincent informed me yesterday that the non-alcoholic pairing was now $15.  I had already planned on getting the cocktail pairing for myself, but I think my girlfriend would have considered doing the non-alcoholic pairing -- except nobody when we were at the restaurant actually alluded to that option or asked her if she was interested in it (or, for that matter, asked her if she wanted an a la carte cocktail, a glass of wine, or any other beverage option), and she was perfectly content in the end with her water and the complimentary tea.

3) The three entree meat dishes (one beef, one chicken, one pork) were all served at the same time, and it turned out to be a bit unwieldy, as my girlfriend and I each ended up with three large portions on two separate plates (four plates total), which cluttered up the small table and made it somewhat difficult to sample each of the dishes easily without stretching over them.  It might have been better for the three dishes to have come out separately allowing us to enjoy each in turn -- or, failing that, served family style to economize on space.

4) Spacing out the service of the entrees would also have made for a more leisurely meal: as it is, we were in and out with brisk efficiency, finishing our seven courses about 75 minutes after sitting down.  This added to the somewhat surreal nature of the experience of dining alone in a large upstairs room.

5) Speaking of which, it occurs to me now that since there were no other diners, it would have been nice to have been seated at a table near one of the windows.  Instead, we were put at one of a row of small two-tops near the stairs, staring at a wall.

Again, overall, we had a very enjoyable experience.  I was very glad to have gotten the chance to meet and chat with Chef Aung, and sorry not to have been able to meet Vincent as well.  I look forward to coming back, and I'd love to have the chance to try the pepyoke that Vincent mentions in his post.

I definitely urge others to give Mandalay a visit themselves.

• Like 2

This is the only new restaurant in the area that I haven't tried as soon as physically possible, and it isn't because I don't want to. I do, badly, as do many of my friends. But that tasting me is an absolute nonstarter for this type of restaurant. It is ridiculous that the price of entry is almost double that of little serow and more than double that of Thai X-Crossing. Please ditch this concept as soon as possible so that the restaurant doesn't die before it even gets a chance,

• Like 4

I was just playing around with the website seeing if somehow I had gotten confused and there was another option and I learned that (1) the website indicates that I am correct, it is $70 and there is no information about the food at all; and (2) there are no reservations available tonight. Is it really fully booked?

This is the only new restaurant in the area that I haven't tried as soon as physically possible, and it isn't because I don't want to. I do, badly, as do many of my friends. But that tasting me is an absolute nonstarter for this type of restaurant. It is ridiculous that the price of entry is almost double that of little serow and more than double that of Thai X-Crossing. Please ditch this concept as soon as possible so that the restaurant doesn't die before it even gets a chance,

Not to mention that it's only $20 less than CityZen's tasting menu!  And, having just had dinner at Little Serow earlier this week for the incredible price of $45/pp, I'd stand in line at Little Serow anytime before risking $70 on an unknown experience.  We live within walking distance of Mandalay, but they won't be seeing us until we hear that this price is justified, or they change their menu/pricing structure.

Nick got home at 7, and we have a houseguest, and I thought to myself, what food will my guest absolutely not be able to get in Alaska? So at the last minute we piled in the car and drove over to shaw. Sitting at the bar, we indulged in pepyoke, pork salad, samosa salad (yes, you read that right, and it was awesome, and we got a second one, and a second pepyoke), long beans, spicy peanuts, and great conversation. Aung brought us a couple of tastes of what we were missing out on by not being upstairs; the bite of chili-and-lime steak was incredible. It all was really lovely.

Starting tuesday, the downstairs menu will be expanded to include at least one main dish. We made a pretty kick-ass meal out of what they are currently serving downstairs. So don't shy away from stopping in downstairs if the concept of the tasting menu is putting you off.

• Like 2

Hi Gadarene,  Thanks for the awesome write up.  We need feedback like this, I sent it to all the staff, and they are very grateful to have feedback like this.  I will try to address everything you said below in  colored fonts.

---

Well, that was one of the stranger dining experiences I've had.  With a couple of caveats, we enjoyed ourselves very much.  <----  Obviously, this is the part we like the best, though we will be more focused on the rest.

Let's start with the most positive (and most important) thing: the food was pretty delicious across the board.  Based solely on our meal, I'm not sure there's anything they're doing with the tasting menu format that couldn't also be done just as delightfully with a la carte dishes (about which see more below), but every course had good flavors and textures and there were no misses in the bunch.  I particularly enjoyed the coconut curry soup with egg and crispy noodles, and my girlfriend's favorite was the beef with chive blossoms.  I've never had the privilege of visiting the Silver Spring location, but I would certainly urge DC folk to come and dine in the new digs in Shaw.  We also spent a good amount of time talking with Chef Aung, and he's a great guy who absolutely knows what he's doing in the kitchen.  Mandalay is a great addition to the D.C. food scene, and I hope it sticks.

The space is also very nice (both upstairs and downstairs), and much larger than I was expecting.  My perception here might be slightly skewed, however, because we were literally the only diners our entire time there.  As a result, the empty tables surrounding us may have given the space a decidedly cavernous feel that would translate to warm and homey on a busier night.  Obviously the restaurant has been open for less than a month, but in a D.C. scene where thoroughly mediocre restaurants can pick up buzz from the start and remain "trendy" and in high demand for years, it was disappointing to sit there by ourselves realizing that the ~$200 tab from our meal probably wasn't even covering costs for the night.  Maybe it's because Halloween isn't a typical night to dine out -- Chef Aung was extremely personable and cheerful throughout and definitely made reference to the restaurant being busier on other nights.  Still, I don't think we've ever been the only table in a restaurant of that size before, and I hope that people will start coming with more consistent volume.

- We think we have staying power, and apologize for our still-as-yet slow growth in getting more customers.  On that night we had one other table booked, but they canceled. We are valuing the slow growth, however, and would like people to know there isn't much danger of us not succeeding at staying in the DC food scene. 

This 7 tasting format may end up needing to change, but we see it as something that it will take awhile for people to warm up to,  so, regardless of whether it CAN succeed, it needs a lot more time to tell if it can.  And we are confident we have that time.  We will also be making changes to the ground floor offerings to 'buy it' more time as well, but more on that later in this thread...

The location might play a part in this, as I don't imagine there's anywhere near the kind of foot traffic down 9th Street in that spot that you would get, say, along the strip near the Shaw Metro where Mockingbird Hill and Eat the Rich are, let alone somewhere like 14th Street.  At least not yet.  (I wouldn't be surprised if that neighborhood explodes in the next year or so.)

However, I do also share Don's concerns voiced earlier in this thread about the tasting-menu concept being viable on its own for this space.  I have no experience in the industry except as a dedicated diner, but I do feel that an a la carte menu of Chef Aung's delicious dishes could be successful alongside, or instead of, the $70 tasting menu, and while I greatly admire the market-visit-driven, different-ingredients-and-menu-plan every day ethos that Chef Aung is implementing, the specific dishes last night were distinct enough to stand on their own outside of the tasting menu progression, and I can't help but feel that they could increase their customer base substantially (again, based solely on my one data point from last night) by offering -- and, more importantly, PUBLICIZING -- a la carte selections upstairs as well as down, for those people for whom the idea of a $70 tasting menu is a barrier to entry...or, at least, a barrier to considering Mandalay as a spur of the moment weeknight dining destination.  (Damn, that was a long sentence.)  I know that there are offerings at the bar lounge, as Vincent describes, and maybe I'm being unduly pessimistic about the viability of the concept based solely on an off-night, but it's something to consider.  I'd like to go back, and I'm pretty sure I'd go back more frequently if I knew that I could just go grab some delicious soup and a yummy and piquant mango salad on a whim without making arrangements in advance for a seven-course adventure.

- Our experience so far is we think the tasting concept would work well in this space on its own (we are near to several other venues doing similar things, and our pricing is relatively in the middle of them), but, as I mentioned earlier, that it likely would take too long to get to that success point, on its own. 

At a $70 price point, it will take longer for enough people to try our 7 courses out and to get the word out as to how well we compare with the other tasting menu experiences in DC.  We decided against a lower price point because we didn't want to find out a need to raise the price on our customers later.  IF we stay with a daily changing menu, the expense to produce the tastings may also remain high.  When/If we can determine the tasting price can come down it will, in the meantime we are striving to make sure the experience is definitely worth that much, and so far we've received feedback that it is worth it from the majority of people who have tried it.

We also had difficulty getting our service level to meet the expectations of a 7 course dining experience at that price point, in part simply because finding staff in DC for this kind of service is difficult.  We had resources to do so that were not available to actually work with us until November 1st.  Gadarene, I apologize for that, like Maxwell Smart, we 'missed it by that much'.  Please email me about another visit as soon as you like.  We are still working out the kinks, but we are on the path to being much better at what we do, and business is picking up, slowly.  

To help business pick up, we abandoned the idea of only doing reserved 7 course tastings for the entire building, and opened up the lounge and bar area on the first floor, and tried to see how it can go with just bar food. 

This ultimately has mostly only led to an increased number of people being unhappy that we are not Silver Spring relocated to DC, however, which is mildly frustrating.  We never intended to be that, but once the name 'Mandalay' was associated  to the project unavoidably, there wasn't much we could do about expectations, aside from trying to get the differing word out as well as we can.  But it seems like its not possible to lead 'buzz' to actually be well read and informed. The current 'buzz' at large, outside of here on DonRockwell.com, and outside of the majority of online articles written about us, seems to be moslty a 'buzzkill' on a 7 course tasting experience before people actually give it a chance.  Comparisons to other similar venues really aren't fair assessments unless people really try what we offer, and most of the negative reviews are from people who refused to pay $70.  To me this implies these negative expressions are really from people who just want us to be what they came to expect from Silver Spring, in our new location.

It's true, as many have said, another ala carte restaurant like Mandalay of Silver Spring will succeed,  possibly anywhere in the DC metro area, perhaps with some harm to how well Silver Spring continues to do.  I thought about suggesting to Aung that he offer franchising of his business model to anyone who wants to have another short order style, massive menu, a-la carte ordering, highly popular and very hard-working business in their neighborhood.  It isn't what Aung wants to offer Shaw, however, and he has already done all that being central to the success of Mandalay in Silver Spring.   In Shaw, he wants to offer great food with great service and pursue great interactions with his customers.  He isn't about being hugely profitable, he is about happily creating a great fine dining experience. He's learned it isn't so much less hard-working than the Silver Spring restaurant, but it is far more enjoyable catering to customers this way, for  him.  It gives his effort more purpose, more mindfulness, and allows him to explore and expand his culinary skills.   We think the extra time put into the seven courses makes for a far better dining experience than ala carte at Silver Spring, but that does depend partly on guests who can be happy not ordering exactly what they want, that they have had before many times, and who can trust Aung to make something he knows they will love.

And unlike most if not all tasting experiences in DC, we will accommodate most, if not all, dietary restrictions for each person's 7 course tasting menus.

Getting back to changes we are making, we do want people to stop in and enjoy themselves without needing a reservation, and the 'just bar food' approach did not work out well for that, as many were unhappy with the limited options.  Some even wrote reviews without actually trying the food, and even claiming our salads were romaine lettuce knock-offs.  I checked that one off as amusing as it's a dead-giveaway they didn't order a salad at The Mandalay Building in DC.

Today we are starting up new offerings, and they will be expanded upon in time.  We are working out the balance of offering good, tasty, comfort food in the bar/lounge area that will inspire/invite people to the greater experience of making a reservation for Aung's highly focused 7 course tastings.

Today we are adding 4 different curries, two vegetarian, and two meaty ones.  Details can be found at www.facebook.com/themandalaybuilding

We will probably still be irritating customers that want menus to order what they know they like, as we are still allowing the items we serve on both levels to be determined by what is bought each morning for the reserved seats for the 7 course dining experiences in the evenings.  This is one reason I'm not posting today's menu here- the menu will change frequently if not daily, and the best way to stay on top of it will be through our facebook page, for now. 

I will say pepyoke (sprouted chickpea like beans, in this case fried with onions and served on fresh made chips) will be available in the Palace Lounge and Bar so long as I can have a say in it....  I'm hooked.

Ok, sorry for the digression....

A couple of other assorted notes:

1) I was disappointed to learn that the beverage director whose creations Vincent extolled in his message last week has apparently parted ways with the restaurant.  I found the cocktail pairings from the new bar staff fairly mediocre, with one (a mango-vanilla infusion) being extremely sweet without much depth, and a couple of the others (a champagne cocktail to start, and something with gin, lime juice, and cointreau) to be refreshing but not exceptional.  I'm a self-admitted cocktail snob, though, so others' mileage may vary.

-This is disappointing for us, too.  Basically both Aung and Ryan are very similar, very artistic personalities, and the decision was made to focus on showcasing only the food, at a cost to the bar program in the interim.  It was difficult to manage both the daily changing menus with daily changing, custom tailored, pairings as Ryan was doing, and it was costly for an opening-restaurant strategy.  However, I suggest that while the cocktail pairings will not be as wildly adventurous, they will hopefully be great complements to the meal.  We hope to see Ryan showing off his genius palate and hard-working creativity somewhere else in DC very soon.  The gin, lime juice, and cointreau you mentioned is The Pegu, a cocktail that was created in Burma in the 1920's at the Pegu Club.  We will be working on that recipe to create a version more in style with real Burmese cuisine, and  I hope it complemented the courses at the time reasonably well.  As for cocktail snobbery, we are kin, and email me if you are up for an adventure along those lines in DC.  I also recommend sitting at the bar at The Mandalay Building and seeing what you can get first hand talking to our bartenders.  I'm hopeful you will find much of what you like, and short of that, I'm sure the bartenders want to meet more cocktail snobs like myself.  In fact, I'm sure of it.   I will also let you know when Ryan is slinging his amazing drinks again, as I'm sure I will be visiting wherever that is myself.

2) I was similarly disappointed (although now I find it completely understandable) that the restaurant was no longer offering a complimentary non-alcoholic pairing with the tasting menu courses.  Vincent informed me yesterday that the non-alcoholic pairing was now $15.  I had already planned on getting the cocktail pairing for myself, but I think my girlfriend would have considered doing the non-alcoholic pairing -- except nobody when we were at the restaurant actually alluded to that option or asked her if she was interested in it (or, for that matter, asked her if she wanted an a la carte cocktail, a glass of wine, or any other beverage option), and she was perfectly content in the end with her water and the complimentary tea.

-I'm quite sorry for what sounds like miscommunications on our part.  We had the reservation down as a cocktail pairing to be shared, and it was likely decided the presentation of the cocktail was best left as a single drink.  We had no intention to not offer similar to your guest, we thought it was covered, and we all agree we should have been more on point to politely inquire if there were any changes to the drinks preferences as the courses progressed.  We are very glad she liked the tea, though.  It's our most authentic Burmese drink, made from hand picked and lightly fermented tea leaves imported from Myanmar.

3) The three entree meat dishes (one beef, one chicken, one pork) were all served at the same time, and it turned out to be a bit unwieldy, as my girlfriend and I each ended up with three large portions on two separate plates (four plates total), which cluttered up the small table and made it somewhat difficult to sample each of the dishes easily without stretching over them.  It might have been better for the three dishes to have come out separately allowing us to enjoy each in turn -- or, failing that, served family style to economize on space.

-We appreciate the feedback on this.  Serving each entree one at a time has yielded some guests being unhappy that they fill up before they get a chance to sample all three entrees.  I think in this case you may have had a specially presented noodle dish that looks much nicer on a round plate, and we tried it out that way that night, but for space efficiency from your feedback we are discontinuing the round plates for entree service, and will consider serving the sides of rice 'family style', and only use our square plates for entree service as they are more manageable on the table space.  We are also looking at creating edible dividers/sauce-dams to serve all three entrees on the one long plate for convenience, and fun.

4) Spacing out the service of the entrees would also have made for a more leisurely meal: as it is, we were in and out with brisk efficiency, finishing our seven courses about 75 minutes after sitting down.  This added to the somewhat surreal nature of the experience of dining alone in a large upstairs room.

Thanks for this feedback.  We do need to work on pacing the service, and on taking cues from guests about their ideal pace.  The new staff is more experienced at this, so hopefully this will improve soon.  We are also working out a background 'soundtrack' for the dining experience.  Aung's goal is to make a place where people can relax and let go of the rat race, and really enjoy dining.  Originally he had planned to require all guests check their phones at the door to emphasize the importance of just enjoying the dining experience.

5) Speaking of which, it occurs to me now that since there were no other diners, it would have been nice to have been seated at a table near one of the windows.  Instead, we were put at one of a row of small two-tops near the stairs, staring at a wall.

I love this idea, but it wasn't really well thought out before the room was built, actually.  I will try and come up with some options, since I love the idea, though. There actually current aren't any tables near windows in The Tower space except for the large chef's table, and the booths which are all pointed away from the windows.

Again, overall, we had a very enjoyable experience.  I was very glad to have gotten the chance to meet and chat with Chef Aung, and sorry not to have been able to meet Vincent as well.  I look forward to coming back, and I'd love to have the chance to try the pepyoke that Vincent mentions in his post.

I look forward to us meeting also,  the pepyoke is available in The Palace Lounge and Bar.  I'm still advocating it be our one permanent menu item.

I definitely urge others to give Mandalay a visit themselves.

• Like 1

I was just playing around with the website seeing if somehow I had gotten confused and there was another option and I learned that (1) the website indicates that I am correct, it is $70 and there is no information about the food at all; and (2) there are no reservations available tonight. Is it really fully booked?

Hi Lackadaisi,

There are no reservations for the same day because the menus are drawn up the night before the dining experience, and the ingredients are bought the morning before preparation and service.

It's not that we were fully booked seats wise, but we were fully booked for the amount of service that was reserved in advance.  We can't accept walk-ins (aside from The Christopher, since saying 'no' to him seems risky) for the tasting experience because we only purchase enough food for the reserved seats.

The standard price is $70 for a 7 course chef's choice tasting experience, catered to all individually specified per guest dietary restrictions.

We are having regular, but not regularly scheduled yet, vegetarian discount nights where the vegan 7 courses are $50.  If you'd like to be notified about that, please email events@mandalaydc.com or keep track of our facebook page at www.facebook.com/themandalaybuilding .

Meanwhile, due to demand, we have expanded the menu downstair's Palace Lounge and Bar, which is walk-in only dining, to include curries starting tonight.   The specific items that are present on the menu in The Palace will change daily with the changing of ingredients bought daily for the 7 course tasting reserved seatings.

Today, Tuesday, November 5th, The Palace is offering:

Potato and sweet onion marsala curry,

Pork and cucumber curry

Three chili Ground Pork Curry

Three chili Fried Tofu Curry

Pork cucumber salad

Roasted chicken salad

Long bean salad

Samosa salad

Papaya salad

Spring rolls ( chicken/ bean noodles)

Samosas    ( dice potatoes, onion, curry)

Eggplant wrap with spring roll skin

Pepyoke      ( fried yellow beans with onion on top of flour chip)

We had dinner at Mandalay the Palace this weekend. Overall the meal was quite good--interesting courses and flavorful items.

I will echo the comments earlier about the "main courses"--three dishes arrived together; some hot, some cold. I was unsure--is this one course, two or three? I think spacing these would provide more of an experience in both overall dining and enjoyment of each item.

Service was excellent, attentive and generally helpful. I think the timing was a little too fast--I was expecting a two hour or more experience. We made it to 1:10 by not bothering to get our coats right away.

I had indicated in my reservation that we both like spicy food. In Vincent's follow up, he seemed pleased and said the chef would be happy and look forward to spicing it up. I was surprised that only one dish was spicy--and that was because there was one hot pepper on it, and we were instructed to chop it up if we wanted it to be spicy.

The space is great and the cocktails were imaginative. (We did not do a pairing)

Is it worth $70/head, plus drinks etc? Not sure. Will we go back? Probably not at this price point--but maybe.

Made a reservation for our anniversary on Dec 1 in the tower.  Looking forward to Burmese food as we had it in Cambodia and it was great.  I'm hoping that we won't experience the same service issues and that we will be able to take our time.  I'll report back.

We had dinner at Mandalay the Palace this weekend. Overall the meal was quite good--interesting courses and flavorful items.

I will echo the comments earlier about the "main courses"--three dishes arrived together; some hot, some cold. I was unsure--is this one course, two or three? I think spacing these would provide more of an experience in both overall dining and enjoyment of each item.

Service was excellent, attentive and generally helpful. I think the timing was a little too fast--I was expecting a two hour or more experience. We made it to 1:10 by not bothering to get our coats right away.

I had indicated in my reservation that we both like spicy food. In Vincent's follow up, he seemed pleased and said the chef would be happy and look forward to spicing it up. I was surprised that only one dish was spicy--and that was because there was one hot pepper on it, and we were instructed to chop it up if we wanted it to be spicy.

The space is great and the cocktails were imaginative. (We did not do a pairing)

Is it worth $70/head, plus drinks etc? Not sure. Will we go back? Probably not at this price point--but maybe.

Hi Bill!  I will work with the chef to determine why the spice level wasn't what you had hoped, and I'm glad you liked the food and cocktails.  We hope you come back soon.  We are considering a hot pepper evening, perhaps once a month. If you would like to be alerted to when that occurs, please send an email to events@mandalaydc.com

Regarding the three courses coming together, I must reiterate, for us it's a tough call.  For me, I could eat one course at time, reach the end, and feel mildly stuffed, unless it is a particularly starchy slant in the 7 course theme (the vegetarian courses sometimes are starchy even as they are wonderful).

However, many guests that have joined us, like Gadarene mentioned in his post, are filled up much sooner than I.  For them, bringing out the three courses at once allows a tasting of each, while they are the temperature that they ought to be served at, with the option to then pack them to go and enjoy the dessert on a less full stomach.  The number of guests that prefer one or the other is about equal.

I definitely agree the pacing would be better if they were brought out one at a time, and we are trying to figure out how to work that out better, though, again, sometimes our guests actual are fine with faster pacing.   I think this needs to be addressed better as we greet our guests.

Thanks for all the great feedback, sorry I had disappeared for awhile.

For those keeping track, we have some news regarding Palace goings -on.  The downstairs lounge will be having regular half-priced bottles of wine during our Sunday happy hours.

And if it's a particularly blustery day please check out our facebook page (www.facebook.com/themandalaybuilding) to see if head chef Aung is serving up some free boothee hingar (long squash with peppered clear-broth soup) to help everyone stay warm.

Have a great week, everybody.

-

Vincent

• Like 1

I've taken a long time to report back on our dinner at Mandalay DC earlier this Month as I've been super busy, but I also needed time to digest (figuratively) the experience.

After some reflection, I realized I have a hard time characterizing what I think of the place.  As I mentioned upthread, we went for a 1st anniversary dinner on Dec. 1 (the Sunday after Thanksgiving) for the early seating (5:30) of the tasting menu.  We were greeted warmly, and brought up to our table.  For the entire time we were there, we were the only people in the dining room, which may not mean anything given that it was early on a Sunday, but it did make us feel a bit strange.  I'd say that 5-8 people came into the bar downstairs in the 2 hours we were there, but no one was upstairs.

Ambiance-wise the room upstairs is also a bit strange.  There is nothing on the walls, which makes for a stark scene, (especially with no other people in the room).  We both thought that some nice artwork or photos of the Irrawaddy river delta or something similar would have been nice. Or some saffron colored drapes that echo the monk's robes, or some wooden sculptures, or, well, something, for decor.   It's not minimalist cool like Komi, right now it feels like a run of the mill place like Spices or Nooshi in terms of decor, furniture, flatware, paper napkins, etc.   One really annoying thing:  The upstairs and the bar were playing different music and you could hear both (as well as the bar patrons) at the same time.  It is maddening hearing two different styles of music simultaneously, especially in an empty dining room with NO ambient noise.

Service was excellent.  Our server was knowledgeable, helpful, engaging, warm, and attentive.  He knew when to engage us in conversation and when to leave us alone.  I really liked him. Only slightly irritating thing about service was that I had emailed in advance to let the chef know that I don't eat shrimp (but it's fine as a flavoring agent) and that we would like the tea leaf salad as a course.  In the same exchange I mentioned that we would do one non-alcoholic drink pairing and one cocktail pairing (the reservation form tells you to email in advance if you want to reserve this).  Our server didn't have the information on the drink preferences (but did have the food preferences), so we had to make it clear when we ordered what drinks we wanted (and I switched to the wine pairing instead of the cocktails).  Not a big deal, but if you are going to ask me in advance, it would be nice if it was noted.  That said, again, it was no big deal and I really liked the service, and appreciated the email dialogue on food preferences in advance of the meal.

The food was overall good to very good.  It's been several days so I don't have a pure memory on what we had for all the courses, but I recall liking the spring roll-ish things we had, loving the spiced peanuts, loving the soup (which was served a tad too cool for our taste), enjoying the tea leaf salad (and really appreciating that they accommodated our request for this dish), loving the beef curry, finding the pumpkin curry cold and bland, and thinking that the "street-food" noodle dish (which we took a bite of and decided to bring home instead of eating it there -- you get a LOT of food during the course of the meal) was oily, and at about the same level of what you would expect for a pad see ew at a run of the mill Thai place - not special at all.  We had two desserts - a coconut pudding cake, which was great, and another sorbet-based custard dish that was also good.  It was nice that they gave us an extra dessert, knowing we were celebrating.  Wines were fine - nothing special, nothing bad.  Non-alcoholic drink pairing was good, and interesting, but several of the drinks tasted very similar - there was not a lot of major variety.

Overall, I left with several passing feelings:

1) Let me start by saying that I want them to do well.  I love Burmese food, and much of the food was excellent;

2) Value for money was not great.  The food and service were good, but the total cost of the meal was about $250 for two people, and I did not think that the total value package was there. We could have had the tasting menus at Cityzen, Eve, or Obelisk for the same price or an a la carte feast at any number of excellent restaurants (including The Elephant Walk in Boston where I could have had three Cambodian courses in a white tablecloth dining room and several drinks for much less).  At close to $125 pp I expect a little more luxury, a few more "Oh my god" moments.  While I appreciate the care that went in to preparing the food, a lot of it reminded me of slightly better versions of dishes I could get a lot cheaper elsewhere, or make myself with the Burmese and Cambodian cookbooks I have.  Perhaps one factor in the cost is that I understand they only buy enough ingredients for the reservations they have -- with so few reservations there can't be much economy of scale in purchasing.  It's not like there were many, if any, naturally pricey ingredients I could see, such as foie gras, etc. (not that I would expect foie in a Burmese restaurant), but my point is that it seems the money from the price is not going into special food costs.

3) The rent on that building cannot be cheap so they need to get more business in there;

4) Mandalay needs to decide on a path -- if they want to keep the tasting menu only focus, they need to work on making the total package more "luxe" to justify the price.  It could be as simple as better decor and more buzz, more elegant plating, I don't know.. but they need to do something.  It does not need to be "fancy" but it needs to be "special" (quoting these terms as I cannot fully define what I mean by them, it's a feeling).  Or, they could decide to move to a traditional menu, which would lead to more repeat business.  We left stuffed, and took one dish home.  It was a bit of overkill in terms of too much food.  If I could come in, get a starter, a main, (say the tea salad or soup and the curry beef?) and a glass of wine and leave $35-60 lighter, I would come back several times and probably become a regular.  As it is, I don't see myself going back for the tasting menu any time soon.

Wow, this was long - probably my longest post ever.  And it's clear I have mixed feelings. I want them to survive.  I want them to thrive.  Maybe their upstairs model can work if they get more people downstairs in the bar, and even offer a larger a la carte menu there to subsidize upstairs (although then, noise traveling upstairs may impact the tasting menu feel), while making the upstairs feel more special.

Lots to like at Mandalay, especially the server, but it does not all quite come together yet.

• Like 2

Thanks for the review, Rieux.  We are continuing to perfect the experience.  If possible please stop by for a curry in the downstairs bar, or our 'late brunch' 2pm- 10pm Sundays that just started today (more info at end of post).  I'd like to see if we can duplicate the music issue you experienced - I think I was here that night, and sound is a challenge for us.  We only have one sound system, and we are attempting to use the open ceiling to the 2nd floor to channel the music for both seating areas.

I forwarded your email to the staff so they can see it as well.   I'm sure the head chef would love to talk to you about your Burmese dining experiences, and what you like most about the cuisine.  He loves to hear from people about their experiences with what he loves.

I do hope you will come back sometime soon.  If I can help facilitate a meeting for you, please feel free to email me at questions@mandalaydc.com

I apologize for the late response, it seems I still do not have my alerts set correctly here on donrockwell.com, and, of course, the holidays made me a bit busy.

Have a great evening,  hope to see you soon.

Regarding the brunch program, we are currently offering 3 courses for $20, $2 extra if the red-meat curries are chosen for the curry.  Choices of the courses are from 3 different salads, 3 different fried rice dishes, and 5 different curries, and comes with a burmese iced coffee.  Desserts are an extra $6, a choice of two.  Tonight there is an additional mushroom curry being offered, but this is just for tonight.

The cocktail special is a red-eye, a burmese variation on a Michelada, using the house hot sauce, a house pickled brine, and Singha beer, priced at $8.

On Sundays we also feature all day half priced bottles of wine.

I hope everyone had a great holiday, and a great start to the new year.

-

Vincent

questions@mandalaydc.com

I find the news that Mandalay in DC is closing to be really sad. We were so excited, but they never provided us with an approachable option. Too bad. I really wanted a good Burmese restaurant nearby and would have frequented it had they marketed themselves as wanting our business.

• Like 1

The downstairs has been serving an approachable menu for months. And there was also brunch. How is that "never"?

The downstairs menu has been sold as an afterthought, and it did not sound like it always included an option for a full meal.  I know that many in the neighborhood never thought of it as an actual option for a normal dinner.  Brunch did not start until 2, which is fine for a hangover "brunch" like at Passenger, but is otherwise when brunch should end.  I wish that there had been a little bit more market research here.

• Like 1

The downstairs menu has been sold as an afterthought, and it did not sound like it always included an option for a full meal.  I know that many in the neighborhood never thought of it as an actual option for a normal dinner.  Brunch did not start until 2, which is fine for a hangover "brunch" like at Passenger, but is otherwise when brunch should end.  I wish that there had been a little bit more market research here.

On the surface of things, this cautionary tale seems like that of a restaurant biting off more than it could chew; yet, two deaths in the family is enough to break the back of any family-owned business - my heart goes out to the Myint family.

Aung always seemed pretty clear that he had given himself a year to experiment with the type of cooking that made him happy, and that profit wasn't really a factor in that. Mandalay in Silver Spring is high-volume, delicious, and competent-- but there's really no room for experimentation or dishes that are significantly labor-intensive. If someone is yearning to do something different, 1) it's not going to work with an established business and 2) it's not fair to that business (or the customers) to try.

Given that he's now got to uproot himself for the unforeseeable future... I'm really glad he got to do what he wanted for at least these last several months. Some might call it a cautionary tale, but there's a lot to be said for doing what makes us happy when we get the chance to do so. And the neighborhood is only going to improve in the next couple of years. It'll be interesting to see what he does when he comes back.

In the mean time, you can still get some delicious burmese food tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 2

...Mandalay in Silver Spring is high-volume, delicious, and competent-- but there's really no room for experimentation...

... It'll be interesting to see what he does when he comes back.

Debuting sometime around the end of February/beginning of March, 9 new dishes will be offered at Mandalay.  [Any errors or typos, including lack of diacritical marks, are solely my responsibility and should not be held against the employees of Mandalay.]

Mandalay Chef's Specialties

1. AME THAR HNUT $18.99

Beef chunks simmered in an onion-based curry sauce

2. WET THAR A YOE HNUT $18.99

Pork chop simmered in an onion-based curry sauce with a choice of pickled mango, masala spice,

or tamarind sauce

3. WET NAN YOE HIN $17.99

Pork ribs simmered in an onion-based curry sauce with onion and tomato (can add potato)

4. NGAR PAUNG $19.99

Fish cooked in an onion-tomato curry sauce

5. PETHEE GYAW $13.99

String beans sautéed lightly with soy sauce and onion (add tofu, pork belly, chicken, shrimp, beef, or

pork for $4.00)

6. PE PYAR THA YET THEE HIN $16.99

Tofu simmered in a pickled mango curry sauce

7. PE PYAR PEPOKE HIN $17.99

Tofu simmered with fermented soybean in an onion-curry sauce

8. WET THAR THONE HTAT THER HIN $18.99

Pork belly simmered in an onion-curry sauce with onion and tomato (can add potato)

9. MOTE NYINCHIN HTAMIN GYAW $16.99

Sour mustard stir-fried with jasmine rice, with a choice of tofu, chicken, pork, beef, pork belly,

shrimp, or egg

• Like 3

Has anyone been here recently? I'll be eating there for the first time for a friend's celebration this weekend. I've only eaten Burmese at the late lamented Burma in DC, where I usually got the ginger salad or shrimp salad and shared a friend's noodle entree (no memory which one).

i haven't been there in 6 months, but i used to go there at least twice a month (my visits declined because of my being busy, not through any fault of theirs!) i love them.  i find their ginger salad addictive , and if you like funky flavors and olives, you might want to try their tea leaf salad (doesn't have olives, but kind of tastes like them, a similar deep umani salty flavor). i usually get the tofu with pickled mustard greens-like a scramble of tofu with tart pickled greens, simple and homey but tasty (v12),  v6, broad rice noodles stir fried with tofu, romaine and a nutty/soy sauce, or n1, a dish of 4 different noodles with potatoes, onions, and cilantro, it's not the most strongly flavored dish, but is good nonetheless, and the potatoes with noodles work surprisingly well. i'm not a fan of their curries--they are less strongly flavored than the indian ones i'm used to-but my husband likes the chicken in coconut sauce with cilantro. we've tried the desserts once or twice but didn't love them. 

• Like 1

Thank you!  I love ginger salad but am not a fan of tea leaf salad (which I tried at Burma DC).  I'll look at the noodle dishes you mentioned, and I'm fond of coconut sauce so I may look at the chicken dish your husband likes.  

Will have to think about what the teen will get - he usually likes plainer/less sauced food, but beef in brown sauce might be something he'd pick.  

Just now, Genevieve said:

Thank you!  I love ginger salad but am not a fan of tea leaf salad (which I tried at Burma DC).  I'll look at the tofu dishes, and I'm fond of coconut sauce so I may look at the chicken dish your husband likes.

Will have to think about what the teen will get - he usually likes plainer/less sauced food, but beef in brown sauce might be something he'd pick.  

It's  been a long while since I've been, but in my experience ordering the food spicy makes a huge difference in terms of flavor.  Without the spicing, it's rather ordinary, apart from the ginger and tea leaf salads, which are very good.

in my experience if you get the food "mild" there's absolutely no heat. usually "medium" has a hint of heat, but on my last trip i ordered medium and got something that was medium-spicy, definitely some heat. i'm not sure if they've made their food spicier or something, or maybe i just had an outlier. 

Went to Mandalay for the first time on a recent Wednesday night, pre-dinner before a concert at the Fillmore.  My high school friend drove down from Pennsylvania and he had gone to the Univ. of Maryland so he wanted to revisit the restaurant. 

The Ginger Salad (SL02 Gyinn Thoke) was very good.  I would think this is a must order every time dish.

I went with the Mixed Noodle Dish (N01 LetThoke Sone), 4 noodles mixed with fried tofu, potato, onion cabbage, cilantro and Burmese dressing.  Despite a slight gloopiness to the the dish, it was darn tasty.  He had the Tofu Kabat Gyaw (V11), fried tofu with tomato, green pepper, onion and curry powder, which was also good.

As Sandynva said, the mild had no heat.  I also noticed that our waitress mentioned that each dish had fish sauce and asked if that was ok.  Not sure if that was to be clear that otherwise vegetarian dishes contained fish sauce, or if they get complaints about the use of fish sauce.  Unknown, but they were definitely making it clear that fish sauce was used in all of our dishes. 

Overall, really tasty.  Wish it was closer. 

• Like 2

Hi Everyone!  Aung asked me to chime in.  If there ends up being a closure it will be in late summer and will result from a gap between a lease ending and a new/or the same space being ready.  A lot of this “news” really isn’t determined.

However, to be clear, there are *no* plans to close Mandalay permanently.

Additionally, Aung has you all covered -  if there does end up being a period where Mandalay Silver Spring is not open for service, you will still be able to get your Burmese salad fix in Georgetown!  Watch for more news about Bandoola Bowls soon ...

https://m.facebook.com/bandoolabowl/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tom, I think you've mentioned a couple Ethiopian places in Silver Spring. Ever been to Mandalay for Burmese?

Yes, and it gets worse every time I visit. The service tends to be surly to boot. But, I remember Mandalay when it was good and keep hoping for better from it.

From today’s chat.  

They are still in Silver Spring but the owner said he was planning to move in 2020. Said he bought a new place near Walter Reed. It sounds like bonifant will be turned into condos.

The food was delicious but I regret not ordrring it more spicy. Mild is nothing. Best dish was the spring roll salad

oh no! we love that place and think that their cooking has been even better than usual lately. does anyone know when they are opening in the new spot? or if they'll be selling food from a truck or anything in the meantime? i need my ginger salad and tofu with pickled mustard!