Cookware Bargains About Town

Mrs. B

This may more properly belong in the cast iron thread but I think there are more houseware/kitchen bargins out there that may deserve a place of their on so we call all benefit.

Ad in today's Washington Post Food Section (prices good through 11/29/05) -

Staub Cast Iron 5 Qt. Casserole available in red, blue, green or yellow reg. $103 now $39.Can you say holiday present? Anyone have a wedding shower in their future? Sounds like a bargain to me but I must confess to familiarity of the brand merely by word of mouth.

eta:Sorry BLB I'm an idiot you are among the seeing - At Rodman's

Edited by Mrs. B

What store?

Or am I simply blind?

Jennifer

Rodman's. I think there was some discussion on EGullet about these cheap Staub pots and whether they were as good as the original. They were being offered a couple of other places (the Shopping Network or something, I think) for this $39 price, so it seems to be one of those things that's marked down from some imaginary original price (like a lot of cookware on Amazon). At this low a price, though, I'm going to have to go over and check these out.

The only reason I ever have to go to Leesburg is to visit the William Sonoma outlet. They generally have one type of All Clad at a discount. Recently, I found a 12 quart stockpot their at a sick discount, it normally goes for about $300, they had it for $110. It had a ding, but only on the handle.

The only reason I ever have to go to Leesburg is to visit the William Sonoma outlet.  They generally have one type of All Clad at a discount.  Recently, I found a 12 quart stockpot their at a sick discount, it normally goes for about $300, they had it for $110.  It had a ding, but only on the handle.

Isn't there also a Le Creuset outlet there?

I am not sure I would call it an outlet, I have never seen any real deals to be had. Their prices are only a little cheaper than Sur La Table.

If you're willing to buy a second (generally just a minor scratch) and use a coupon, fantastic deals can be had.

If you're willing to buy a second (generally just a minor scratch) and use a coupon, fantastic deals can be had.

Often not even seconds. I picked up a first-quality round doufeu there about two winters ago for something less than half of retail...it was already marked down a generous amount (discontinued color?) and the storewide sale knocked an additional 20% off. They also own Screwpull, so some deals on automatic corkscrews can be had.

Dave

I stopped off at a LC outlet in Smithfield NC this summer and got a new 5.5 quart round oven that was a second (small paint drip on exterior of lid) with an in store coupon of 35% for just about $100. Sur La Table list is $190.

About a month ago I went to the LC outlet in Leesburg, and they had a risotto pan on sale for about $75. The only problem was that there were no more in stock, I would have to have it shipped and HOPE that, as a second, it wouldn't be too bad. Since even with shipping to my house it would be cheaper than a similarly-sized oven, I took a chance. It arrived 4 days with only a slight discoloration under the handle, and hasn't left the top of my stove yet!

I've been seeing commercials the last few days for this 'Tuesday Morning' sale company advertising a 'Big Nov 7 sale on famous-name French cast iron cookware' with the only information given is their website at Tuesday Morning.com. I was about to say that their homepage is broken, but it turns out it's just not triggering my Flash plugin properly on this computer. Anyway, anybody have any experience with this store? Specifically, is the alleged Le Creuset stuff at big enough discount to justify driving 20 minutes to Fairfield (not that it would be a wasted trip...it's near Super Duper Weenie, which I always need an excuse to visit)?

I don't know that store. I venture periodically to the Le Creuset factory outlet store at Leesburg Premium Outlets. They have a twice (?) annual big sale, but there are often other specials in the store, including an automatic discount if you buy more than X$ dollar amount of merchandise. I've made some good purchases there, maybe too many :) .

Tuesday Morning is one of many discount chains in this area...you can find great deals, and not so great deals just like all the rest. I thought it worthy enough to note here yesterday, in case anyone was interested in checking it out. We didn't have enough time to stop in before work today, but may try to check it out later. I wonder if the selection will be that much different in CT?

I've been seeing commercials the last few days for this 'Tuesday Morning' sale company advertising a 'Big Nov 7 sale on famous-name French cast iron cookware' with the only information given is their website at Tuesday Morning.com. I was about to say that their homepage is broken, but it turns out it's just not triggering my Flash plugin properly on this computer. Anyway, anybody have any experience with this store? Specifically, is the alleged Le Creuset stuff at big enough discount to justify driving 20 minutes to Fairfield (not that it would be a wasted trip...it's near Super Duper Weenie, which I always need an excuse to visit)?

They've had good selections of Le Creuset in the store in my hometown of Ridgefield, CT now and again. May not be that much farther than Fairfield for you, and you can have a hot dog from the Chez Leonard cart on Main St.

I've seen Le Creuset at Tuesday Morning in the past and the prices were good but not as good as the sales at the Le Creuset Outlet store. I think there should be one coming up for the holidays but I'm not sure. At the outlet during a sale, they'll offer something like 35% off everything, including the seconds that are already around 50% off.

The Le Creuset knockoff 5 quart French oven, at Target, rated a Best Buy in January/

February 2007 Cook's Illustrated, can still be found at various Targets around the area. Only $39.99. Only available in cherry red.

Drawbacks (minor) -- the phenolic knob is only rated to 350 F, not a problem for braising, and the screw holding the knob on looks like it won't last nearly as long as the pot.

Otherwise, looks and cooks the same as my 5 1/2 quart Le Creuset French Oven, retailing at Amazon.com for $159.

Shouldn't be much trouble to replace the screw.

Ikea also has a line of enameled cast iron pots and pans, designated "Senior" (who thinks up these names?) The 3 qt round French oven is $39.99, the 5 qt oval is $59.99. Only comes in a flame orange color. Nice handles. Otherwise pretty much identical to Le Creuset.

If you have an affinity for Henckel knives as I do, head to TJ Maxx. I went to the one at Potomac Yard over lunch and picked up a 4 star santoku and bird beak parer for $50 and $20, respectively. The guy behind me got about six of the five star knives (those don't fit my hand as well), but there is still quite a bit left, mostly priced between $20 and $40. The 4 star 8" chef, for example, was $30, an incredible deal. I saw a cleaver, small serrated knives, boning knives, chef knives, santokus, and all sorts of parers.

Smart shopper alert!!

The Williams-Sonoma Outlet at Leesburg Outlet Mall has a really good sale that started today and will last through this weekend. 40% off All-Clad (they sell seconds, which are already cheaper than retail), 40% off all tools and utensils, 40% off of edibles, 50% off cutting boards and dinnerware, 40% off Le Creuset, 20% off on all electric appliances, etc. Pretty much everything in the store has some discount on it, and there are some real bargains to be found.

One of the saleswomen told me that if I am a AAA member, and have my card with me I can go to the food court customer service desk and get a free coupon book which will give me an additional 15% off of my most expensive item. I ended up paying about $70 for a 4 quart All-Clad stainless saucepan with a lid. Maldon Salt for $6. $20 cutting board for $10. A $25 Kyocera hand mandoline for $14. :)

At the T.J. Maxx Friendship Heights store this morning, I saw a selection of All-Clad stainless: covered saute and frying pans in various sizes, the prices were very good. There were also a few Le Creuset round pots (seconds) in blue and red, small and large. I bought a large (like 10 qt.) French solid copper confiture pan for $99. Have not been to other TJ Maxx stores to compare their inventory.

At the T.J. Maxx Friendship Heights store this morning, I saw a selection of All-Clad stainless: covered saute and frying pans in various sizes, the prices were very good. There were also a few Le Creuset round pots (seconds) in blue and red, mall and large. I bought a large (like 10 qt.) French solid copper confiture pan for $99. Have not been to other TJ Maxx stores to compare their inventory.

I saw a similar selection of All-Clad stainless at the T.J. Maxx in Tysons two nights ago. Looked like you could get a 10" frying pan for $79.