Shopping in Rockville

JPW

I drove around RTC today as I was on Rockville Pike and I read this thread last night. Just my 2¢ and I am probably stating the obvious but . . . things don't look too promising there. Lots of for rent signs at RTC and nearby. Bobby's and Gifford's are probably the most discussed ones on this board but there seem to be pretty many other vacancies along North Washington Street not in RTC. Also note that Harris Teeter is now at 270 and Montrose Rd. in a place called "Park Potomac Luxury Community". This is a relatively big store, relatively close to RTC with easy access and parking. At the risk of overstating the obvious, I tend to think that the Rockville area in general is overbuilt right now and it will take some time before there is enough demand for all of the shops and restaurants at RTC. Personally, I have always enjoyed the two Asian grocery stores which have been near RTC for a pretty long time. One is on 355, the other is on N. Washington. Also a little further up 355 is a nice place called Mama Wok & Teriyaki. It has been there for a very long time and has a sister store on 28 which I have not visited. The one on 355 is next to a gun store, but I am probably getting way too far off topic.

JMac,

That HT is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to supermarkets around Rockville. Off the top of my head I can think of at least 1 Safeway, 2 Giants, the secret Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Shopper's Food Warehouse, and Rodman's that are on or near 355 within a couple of miles of the downtown. Plus the Whole Foods, which is a tiny store by their standards is moving to a new, bigger spot. In addition to Patel Bros. and Maxim, there are several ethnic food retailers along the Pike as well.

.... the secret Target, ....

Would that be the one at Montrose Crossing? (where the Super Giant and Sports Authority are) Never heard it referenced that way. Makes sense though.

I think a Trader Joe's would work ok in RTC. Unless the existing space is too big for it, and I guess it is close to the one on Rockville Pike? Although there is one in Bethesda as well, close to Rockville's.

Years ago, Rodman's had a grocery sized store by White Flint. Much more grocery selection then what is in it's current fraction-of-a-size location there. That might work well in RTC too, especially given Rodman's international offerings.

Would that be the one at Montrose Crossing? (where the Super Giant and Sports Authority are) Never heard it referenced that way. Makes sense though.

Yep. I've been wandering around Rockville Pike on and off for almost a decade. One day a few months ago I left a client meeting and, in my utter lack of haste to get back to the office, went exploring. I saw the logo on a sign no more than 2 feet high and said to myself, "WTF? There's no Target here!" Sure enough I found it and proved myself wrong.

If you're on Rockville Pike, it's invisible. So I stole the name from the Secret Safeway.

Yep. I've been wandering around Rockville Pike on and off for almost a decade. One day a few months ago I left a client meeting and, in my utter lack of haste to get back to the office, went exploring. I saw the logo on a sign no more than 2 feet high and said to myself, "WTF? There's no Target here!" Sure enough I found it and proved myself wrong.

If you're on Rockville Pike, it's invisible. So I stole the name from the Secret Safeway.

Target is never secret, to Those Who Believe.

(Seriously, I have Target Radar. Kind of like Daredevil, but more ... utilitarian.)