Dining with a Group in Bethesda

Lori Gardner

I have season tickets to Roundhouse Theater with a group of ten people, and we always combine our outings with dinner out. I find Bethesda a struggle in terms of finding decent places to dine. We recently went to American Tap Room, which was a fine option but I'm not yet ready to go back. We also tried Bistro Lazeez, which I didn't like at all. Looking for ideas for ten people on a Saturday night. Has anyone been to the new Food and Wine Company? That's my thought at the moment.

I have season tickets to Roundhouse Theater with a group of ten people, and we always combine our outings with dinner out. I find Bethesda a struggle in terms of finding decent places to dine. We recently went to American Tap Room, which was a fine option but I'm not yet ready to go back. We also tried Bistro Lazeez, which I didn't like at all. Looking for ideas for ten people on a Saturday night. Has anyone been to the new Food and Wine Company? That's my thought at the moment.

Redwood has a "dining bar" that has 15 seats and also has a couple large communal tables.

We actually do have a thread on Food Wine & Company -- some folks reported back right after opening.

Are they still in operation? I thought the place closed.

If it did close, it must have been recently. I was there in early to middle October and the waiter was telling me that at the end of October there was going to be a big multi-course birthday dinner for chef Francesco Ricchi. I couldn't make the dinner but it sounded like it would be a good time.

If it did close, it must have been recently. I was there in early to middle October and the waiter was telling me that at the end of October there was going to be a big multi-course birthday dinner for chef Francesco Ricchi. I couldn't make the dinner but it sounded like it would be a good time.

It's still open, unless someone pranked me by answering the phone yesterday.

Saturday night in Bethesda can be a problem. It's been awhile, but last time I dined at Passage To India the service was incredibly slow and the food ordinary. Nice ambience in the dining room though. It was on a Saturday night and the place was dead- always a bad sign. Mon Ami is a waste of time. I recently had dinner at Bistro LaZeez and had a very good meal, but 10 people will almost fill that little place. Been to Jaleo many times and enjoyed most of them but 10 on a Sat. night will be tough. Always have a good meal and a good time at Guapo's. Food flavorful, hot, and plentiful. Party of ten should be easy there.

Saturday night in Bethesda can be a problem. It's been awhile, but last time I dined at Passage To India the service was incredibly slow and the food ordinary. Nice ambience in the dining room though. It was on a Saturday night and the place was dead- always a bad sign. Mon Ami is a waste of time. I recently had dinner at Bistro LaZeez and had a very good meal, but 10 people will almost fill that little place. Been to Jaleo many times and enjoyed most of them but 10 on a Sat. night will be tough. Always have a good meal and a good time at Guapo's. Food flavorful, hot, and plentiful. Party of ten should be easy there.

I would avoid Guapo's like the plague, unless your goal is just to shove food units down in to your gullet. The Jaleo that is in Bethesda is not really up to snuff anymore IMO too. Sad but true.

interestingly, this same group went to Bistro LaZeez and we did not like the food at all. A few people in our group are vegetarians and the options at LaZeez were minimal and not well executed.

It was on a Saturday night and the place was dead- always a bad sign.

First I would like to welcome you to Donrockwell.com.

Really? How is that always a bad sign? I have had meals at places like Eola, The Oval Room, and New Heights on a Saturday nigtht where I felt that our table was the only one occupied in the restaurant and had great meals. But this raises a point that quite a few people seem to not grasp, that popularity is much different than quality. Here is a perfect example of how this idea is wrong, as I am writing this, I can get a 7:30 reservation for Tosca for tonight, at 7:30 tonight, but the same time is not available at Maggiano’s in Chevy Chase. Does that mean that the later is a better restaurant? Hardly.

As for recommending Guapo’s, well, Don gets mad when I get a little too rough with the new people…

We're meeting friends for a movie tomorrow in Bethesda Row, and want to have dinner at a restaurant within easy walking distance. Mixed group of people -- they are pushing for Mon Ami Gabi, but we are skeptical. What do you know about this place, or even better, any suggestions on an alternate that is reasonably priced? One of the friends does not like anything spicy, so no Indian, Thai, etc. (which breaks my heart, because I love spicy food). With all the restaurants nearby, there must be a great place that we all could be happy with!

We're meeting friends for a movie tomorrow in Bethesda Row, and want to have dinner at a restaurant within easy walking distance. Mixed group of people -- they are pushing for Mon Ami Gabi, but we are skeptical. What do you know about this place, or even better, any suggestions on an alternate that is reasonably priced? One of the friends does not like anything spicy, so no Indian, Thai, etc. (which breaks my heart, because I love spicy food). With all the restaurants nearby, there must be a great place that we all could be happy with!

Mon Ami is definitely one of the better restaurants in south Bethesda. Your other alternatives are Assaggi and Jaleo. You can try the Mussel Bar but it's supposed to be loud and not good.

I did end up at Passage to India for dinner last night. It was quite busy. I I found the food to be above average and the setting is quite nice. It is a perfect spot for a large group- which I will pursue in the future. There are only so many dishes you can try with two people but there certainly a large selection that appealed to me.