Grist Mill, in the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown - Chef Will Artley Replaces Chris Willis

Grist Mill will be opening in early January on 14th Street NW (between H and I), and will feature the return of Chris Willis. Although it's in the Hilton Garden Inn (not traditionally known as a dining Mecca), Grist Mill will be a chef-driven restaurant featuring comfort food (think: Beef Stroganoff, Mac and Cheese, etc.), and entrees in the $15-20 range. The focus will be on fresh ingredients, affordability, and simplicity, and the beverage program will emphasize local and regional beer and wine offerings (many of the hotel's guests will be dining here, and they're going to want a sense of local exploration (incidentally, this is the busiest Hilton Garden Inn in the United States)). The intent is for the wines to be offered at a flat price (10 selections each at $20, $30, and $40), and I'm liking the names of the importers I'm hearing.

Says Chris, "Comfort food to me is so liberating; and being freed from the pretensions of fine dining is liberating! We've tried out dozens of ideas these past few months, and you know what people have loved? Beef Stroganoff! Now, it is a pretty kick-ass beef stroganoff, but I had no idea people would react so positively. It makes people smile."

(Very nice, and I don't know of any other restaurant in town that does a good one, but don't be insulted if I order your crab cakes (which, to me, were the best in DC when you were at Posh) on my first visit.)

Congratulations both to Chris and also to our own B.A.R., and we'll look forward to seeing you in January!

Cheers

Rocks

Grist Mill will be opening in early January on 14th Street NW (between H and I), and will feature the return of Chris Willis. Although it's in the Hilton Garden Inn (not traditionally known as a dining Mecca), Grist Mill will be a chef-driven restaurant featuring comfort food (think: Beef Stroganoff, Mac and Cheese, etc.), and entrees in the $15-20 range. The focus will be on fresh ingredients, affordability, and simplicity, and the beverage program will emphasize local and regional beer and wine offerings (many of the hotel's guests will be dining here, and they're going to want a sense of local exploration (incidentally, this is the busiest Hilton Garden Inn in the United States)). The intent is for the wines to be offered at a flat price (10 selections each at $20, $30, and $40), and I'm liking the names of the importers I'm hearing.

Says Chris, "Comfort food to me is so liberating; and being freed from the pretensions of fine dining is liberating! We've tried out dozens of ideas these past few months, and you know what people have loved? Beef Stroganoff! Now, it is a pretty kick-ass beef stroganoff, but I had no idea people would react so positively. It makes people smile."

(Very nice, and I don't know of any other restaurant in town that does a good one, but don't be insulted if I order your crab cakes (which, to me, were the best in DC when you were at Posh) on my first visit.)

Congratulations both to Chris and also to our own B.A.R., and we'll look forward to seeing you in January!

Cheers

Rocks

Our opening date has been moved to Mid February, the kitchen equipment that we ordered came in but it was damaged so we had to refuse shipment. Finally the insurance was resolved for this and now we have to wait till they fix it and send back....which is in Atlanta and with their snowfall and that they only have 7 snow plows in the whole state its a waiting game..

Our opening date has been moved to Mid February, the kitchen equipment that we ordered came in but it was damaged so we had to refuse shipment. Finally the insurance was resolved for this and now we have to wait till they fix it and send back....which is in Atlanta and with their snowfall and that they only have 7 snow plows in the whole state its a waiting game..

Ok now its moved to March sometime.. One thing I wanted to point out that we have a breakfast buffet for $12.95 All you can eat and its open to the public. This won't last Long, because it will go up to $14.95 very soon so if your in the area from 6:30-10am and looking for a great deal on great food come in for breakfast and coffee :) Also on Saturday and Sunday its from 7am-11am

Ok now its moved to March sometime.. One thing I wanted to point out that we have a breakfast buffet for $12.95 All you can eat and its open to the public. This won't last Long, because it will go up to $14.95 very soon so if your in the area from 6:30-10am and looking for a great deal on great food come in for breakfast and coffee :) Also on Saturday and Sunday its from 7am-11am

Hi Chris -- my colleagues and I are really looking forward to your new restaurant as a new lunch option in the area. I am sure you are well aware of the paucity of moderately priced lunch options in the McPherson Sq-Franklin Sq area. So please, put out some good food and the customers will find their way to your door!

Hi Chris -- my colleagues and I are really looking forward to your new restaurant as a new lunch option in the area. I am sure you are well aware of the paucity of moderately priced lunch options in the McPherson Sq-Franklin Sq area. So please, put out some good food and the customers will find their way to your door!

We will be open for Breakfast and dinner, we are currently closed for lunch but I will open it up in the future to see what kind of lunch crowd I get. Thanks for the info and be sure to check us out for a nice comfort breakfast and a nice dinner. I will be posting the dinner menu shortly. :)

So who is the heir to the Bobby's throne? That is, who is serving crabcakes that are very similar to those that were served at Bobby's?

And I can't help but notice that Chris Willis is back on the scene at Grist Mill, yet no one's made any comments here or in the restaurant's thread. Is it worth a trip? What I'm looking for here is a dish that is pretty much all jumbo lump crab, like the old Bobby's Crabcakes or even the crab royale at Ray's.

Come on in, Grist Mill is a smaller place but the crab cakes are always the same and yes I still use all jumbo Lump You can also try my shrimp and grits and if you don't like them I will glady pay for them :mellow: . I am in the Hilton Garden Inn on 14th so we don't have any reservations but come in anytime..come in and try our lounge and Bar.

website

I am staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown DC tomorrow night and am curious about their restaurant Grist Mill. It looks like the chef has an impressive resume but I am unable to find any reviews on the net. Has anyone eaten there and would like to give their thoughts?

I am staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown DC tomorrow night and am curious about their restaurant Grist Mill. It looks like the chef has an impressive resume but I am unable to find any reviews on the net. Has anyone eaten there and would like to give their thoughts?

Feel free to ask for Chris (he's working tomorrow night) and share your thoughts here. We've received great comments from our regular guests, but have not really tried to market ourselves to outside diners.

Hope you have a great stay!

Feel free to ask for Chris (he's working tomorrow night) and share your thoughts here. We've received great comments from our regular guests, but have not really tried to market ourselves to outside diners.

Hope you have a great stay!

Please reconsider not opening for lunch! I love the dinner menu. As the weather gets colder people are going to be craving comfort food.

Breaking News: Will Artley is the new chef at Grist Mill.

Talented Chef Chris Willis will be running the Charles County Schools' Culinary Arts program, and working with a food-truck that he owns.

From what I see, this is a good move for both gentlemen. 

Congratulations to all involved, and Grist Mill continues to be an underrated, under-the-radar restaurant in the heart of downtown (Chris Willis is a *fine* chef, we all know what Will Artley is capable of, and B.A.R. is a serious talent with both depth and breadth of knowledge). 

• Like 3

Thanks Don. This is a work in progress, as any leadership transition is.

First, Chris was a wonderful asset in the six years that he lead our kitchen. I can speak for the management and ownership of the hotel that we are beyond happy for him that he was able to move on to a job that affords him more time with his family and his side business. We wish him nothing but the best and he will always be part of our family, and a friend.

We are truly delighted to have a Chef of Will's caliber overseeing the next evolution of our restaurant. It is a learning curve moving into a hotel setting, and we have a small and dedicated team here that will need to be retrained and mentored in the next several months as new menus and programs are put into place. This will not be luxury, fine dining, but merely recognizable food cooked with passion and care

We were trying to keep the change under wraps until menus were swapped out and staff was settled.....but you kind of forced the issue when you texted me last night (which was fine):)

I'll keep updates posted here as warranted.

So glad to know where Will Artley will be! If they're open for lunch I'll make the hike to go try it once he's settled and has his new menu. Otherwise will have to go for dinner on my way home - my family loved Will's cooking at Orso and would likely come in to DC to join me.

Edit: and that's a pretty good location for pre-theater dining before a show at the Warner, National, or Ford's - not right next door, but not bad at all.

On 8/31/2016 at 9:40 AM, B.A.R. said:

Thanks Don. This is a work in progress, as any leadership transition is.

First, Chris was a wonderful asset in the six years that he lead our kitchen. I can speak for the management and ownership of the hotel that we are beyond happy for him that he was able to move on to a job that affords him more time with his family and his side business. We wish him nothing but the best and he will always be part of our family, and a friend.

We are truly delighted to have a Chef of Will's caliber overseeing the next evolution of our restaurant. It is a learning curve moving into a hotel setting, and we have a small and dedicated team here that will need to be retrained and mentored in the next several months as new menus and programs are put into place. This will not be luxury, fine dining, but merely recognizable food cooked with passion and care

We were trying to keep the change under wraps until menus were swapped out and staff was settled.....but you kind of forced the issue when you texted me last night (which was fine):)

I'll keep updates posted here as warranted.

Any consideration being given to opening for lunch?

• Like 1