Why I Should Exist

DonRocks

Just an aside, these lists only include restaurants that participate on OpenTable. There are plenty of restaurants that don't.

Sthitch might be questioning whether or not The Melting Pot qualifies as a restaurant. I tend to think of it as more of a low rent amusement park arcade, with pronged forks instead of pinball machines. And nary a chance of Joe H setting foot inside.

It's not merely the absurd price they charge for a few bits of food and the privilege of sharing a paltry bowl of melted cheese or broth with your fellow victims. You'd hope that for $40+ per head - on special - an actual restaurant could afford to use an actual beer in their pseudo-rarebit, instead of opening a can of Miller Lite at tableside. No, I am not making this up. This is toy food, in a pretend restaurant.

Just an aside, these lists only include restaurants that participate on OpenTable. There are plenty of restaurants that don't.

Actually, for my post, the reason why I chose Marcel’s is that they are on Opentable, but I will agree that the Welting Slop is barely a restaurant, let alone romantic. But as I look over the list of most romantic we are treated to the aforementioned travesty, Old Angler’s Inn (certainly romantic as long as you do not look at your plate), Plume, Da Domenico (yes, I am sure it is the view of Tysons Corner Center that works to set the mood), L’Auberge Chez Francois (great for getting the blue hairs all aquiver). What was not included that is also on Opentable? Marcel’s, 1789, Tosca, Eve, The Oval Room, and CityZen.

What was not included that is also on Opentable? Marcel’s, 1789, Tosca, Eve, The Oval Room, and CityZen.

Marcel's & Cityzen both made the special occasion list and the best overall list. Citronelle is also included on both and the latter includes Volt. There are some good choices on the "notable wine list" list as well, including Proof.

I don't really get why people are knocking these lists though. They're diners choice awards. Most people don't have the obsession with food that we do, or the desire or ability to drop hundreds of dollars on a single meal so yes, Melting Pot and other chain restaurants appear on lists where diners give reviews or vote. All of this banter seems somewhat condescending and irrelevant - it's not like this is a list put forth by a noted food critic or other person who prides him or herself on knowing all of the best fine dining locations in this city.

Marcel's & Cityzen both made the special occasion list and the best overall list. Citronelle is also included on both and the latter includes Volt. There are some good choices on the "notable wine list" list as well, including Proof.

I don't really get why people are knocking these lists though. They're diners choice awards. Most people don't have the obsession with food that we do, or the desire or ability to drop hundreds of dollars on a single meal so yes, Melting Pot and other chain restaurants appear on lists where diners give reviews or vote. All of this banter seems somewhat condescending and irrelevant - it's not like this is a list put forth by a noted food critic or other person who prides him or herself on knowing all of the best fine dining locations in this city.

This just begets a George Carlin quote:

Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!

I am not sure how this banter could be irrelevant to Don's original post, it is pointing out how silly these sort of lists are, just because a group of people, as opposed to a knowledgeable critic determined the list does not make them above critique.

As for being condescending, well the accusation has never bothered me in the least, but I would rather be known as supercilious, I just find it fits a little better.