Pizza in NYC

kblon

Neapolitan?

A top three - any of which I'm sure would be good - Motorino's (LES and Brooklyn - a really good weekday lunch deal as well), Keste's (Greenwich village), and Paulie Gee's (Brooklyn). Another Neapolitan place that I've heard is good is Donatella Arpaia (Chelsea).

If you might find yourself randomly in need of a NY slice, might be a good idea to bookmark http://www.sliceharvester.com/ to easily find the best place nearby.

While I haven't had the opportunity to do a formal study of NYC pizza, I did get a chance to try Grimaldi's the last time I was up there. I must say, that was some mighty fine pizza! So much better than anything I have found locally. And the salads were wonderful too. (I've been dreaming of that pizza ever since we had it!)

Di Fara gets a lot of praise, but I've yet to make it there. Of the one's I've been to, I like Totonno's and Lombardi's. I'd rate Grimaldi's a notch below those.

It is so subjective. I have tried all of those and prefer Grimaldi's. DiFara is a very close second and Totonno's third -- but we're talking about such slim differences it is ridiculous. They are all great pies.

TheTrain got it right. I go to NYC frequently (my kid lives in Greenpoint, Brooklyn), and I love Neapolital style pizza. You must do your research on slice.seriouseats.com and reach your own conclusions, but you must not miis out on Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint, Brooklyn and Mortorino's in Williamsburg, Brooklyn (dubbed #1 pizza by the NYT food critic). I equate DiFara's to the Emperor's New Clothes story. The place is dirty and nasty but because it is an urban legend, all the bloggers look the other way. Oh, and it also takes about an hour to get a pie. Please post your experience after your trip. GWH

TheTrain got it right. I go to NYC frequently (my kid lives in Greenpoint, Brooklyn), and I love Neapolital style pizza. You must do your research on slice.seriouseats.com and reach your own conclusions, but you must not miis out on Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint, Brooklyn and Mortorino's in Williamsburg, Brooklyn (dubbed #1 pizza by the NYT food critic). I equate DiFara's to the Emperor's New Clothes story. The place is dirty and nasty but because it is an urban legend, all the bloggers look the other way. Oh, and it also takes about an hour to get a pie. Please post your experience after your trip. GWH

Neapolitan style pizza is a bit different than what I consider to be New York Style pizza. Mortorino's which I have not been too yet, but is on my list of places to check out, definitely serves Neapolitan style.

However to compare Difara's, which serves New York style pizza, to the Emperor's New Clothes story is just nuts.