I find it interesting that Silver Diner departed their Laurel, MD location (since converted to a Double T diner) and then opened one up the road in Columbia just off of the 95/175 exit. It's a great location for travel traffic and I often joked with my wife that Jessup (on the other side of said interchange) would be a great location for a Waffle House (which has never materialized - there is a diner over there somewhere called Frank's diner - no idea if it is any good)...

I guess they think they'll make a lot more money at this new location than maintaining the Laurel location (they are probably right).

6 hours ago, Pool Boy said:

I find it interesting that Silver Diner departed their Laurel, MD location (since converted to a Double T diner) and then opened one up the road in Columbia just off of the 95/175 exit. It's a great location for travel traffic and I often joked with my wife that Jessup (on the other side of said interchange) would be a great location for a Waffle House (which has never materialized - there is a diner over there somewhere called Frank's diner - no idea if it is any good)...

I guess they think they'll make a lot more money at this new location than maintaining the Laurel location (they are probably right).

I read last year that Silver Diner was attempting to move up market, whatever that means in the diner world.

14 hours ago, Count Bobulescu said:

I read last year that Silver Diner was attempting to move up market, whatever that means in the diner world.

Well in the real world Laurel to Columbia is definitely an up-market move (as is Jessup to Columbia, of course). 😂

Having said that, some of my favorite diners -- the Modern Diner in Pawtucket RI, the Palace Diner in Biddeford ME -- are in far-from-upmarket locales, but the food is outstanding, and with the internet, up-market people will go anywhere for up-market food. 😂

12 hours ago, Count Bobulescu said:

Silver Diner is lame - it has been on the cutting edge of marketing BS since 2010:

On 11/17/2010 at 6:02 PM, Toogs said:

They recently sent out coupons and a flyer talking about their new commitment to local agriculture, which I think is great.

Do they still have mozzarella sticks wrapped in egg roll wrappers? That was a favorite when I was a teenager

I'm not going to speak to the entire menu but the bison huevos rancheros has been one of my favorite brunchy breakfast dishes in the region.  It is meaty, beefy, gritty in a beefy way, spicy and a little greasy all in one.  A very tasty dish.   It would delight diners in any restaurant.  

Aside from Silver Diner there are some restaurants or restaurant groups that independent of the kitchen put a separate staff into marketing.  If it works more power to them.  If it works with a superb kitchen, more power to them.  If it works with a mediocre kitchen more power to them on the business side, and feel free to call them out on the kitchen side.

That particular dish is quite excellent.   The coffee they put out with it is okay: I like the feel of the cups;  the OJ is fresh and tasty.  Other than that nothing else at Silver Diner sticks out for me, though I don't find anything horrible. 

On a separate note, as @Kibbee Nayee noted in a different post, several of the SD locations have been the focus of endless early morning business breakfast meals.   They are perfect for that:  comfortable seating, privacy within the booths ample room on the tables, and a solid variety of choices for breakfast.  That is a combination of their marketing, choice of locations, build out and anything else they did to establish that element of their business that has thrived for decades//really decades.  On another tangent I recall some business meals where whatever I was eating was particularly noteworthy, though the purpose of the meal limited my enjoyment or expression of the quality of the  food.

Lastly as long as I'm rambling, Don, you wrote about a breakfast restaurant in Indianapolis I believed.  It sounded exquisite.  I went to their menu and it seemed remarkably special, wherein breakfasts (and lunches) were given remarkable care with both ingredients and the dish.  I can't think of any restaurants like that in this city or suburbs nor have I chanced upon a place like that elsewhere.  How many places are there like that?  I thought it a remarkable find.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveO said:

I'm not going to speak to the entire menu but the bison huevos rancheros has been one of my favorite brunchy breakfast dishes in the region.  It is meaty, beefy, gritty in a beefy way, spicy and a little greasy all in one.  A very tasty dish.   It would delight diners in any restaurant.  

Lastly as long as I'm rambling, Don, you wrote about a breakfast restaurant in Indianapolis I believed.  It sounded exquisite.  I went to their menu and it seemed remarkably special, wherein breakfasts (and lunches) were given remarkable care with both ingredients and the dish.  I can't think of any restaurants like that in this city or suburbs nor have I chanced upon a place like that elsewhere.  How many places are there like that?  I thought it a remarkable find.

Yes, breakfast is the biggest strength at Silver Diner, without question.

That place in Indianapolis is Milktooth - I didn't have anything *that* extraordinary, but it was the type of place that makes you want to come back, again and again.

(Speaking of "again and again," there's nothing quite like Fremont Diner in Sonoma - even though I've had a couple less-than-stellar meals here, it's the kind of place that calls out to you. The breakfasts here are just, plain fun (it was also my rude introduction to Nashville Hot Chicken).

14 hours ago, Count Bobulescu said:

there is a diner over there somewhere called Frank's diner - no idea if it is any good)

In case anyone looks for it- Frank's closed last year. I never went but it was popular with some people I know around here and the truckers passing through.

23 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Yes, breakfast is the biggest strength at Silver Diner, without question.

That place in Indianapolis is Milktooth - I didn't have anything *that* extraordinary, but it was the type of place that makes you want to come back, again and again.

(Speaking of "again and again," there's nothing quite like Fremont Diner in Sonoma - even though I've had a couple less-than-stellar meals here, it's the kind of place that calls out to you. The breakfasts here are just, plain fun (it was also my rude introduction to Nashville Hot Chicken).

The review for Milktooth was intriguing and inviting.  The menu looks excellent.  How the hell did a place with so much care and focus on breakfast end up in Indianapolis?  (j/k--good for the locals and the smart visitors).    If I could have afforded the time, I'd dine in luxury with appropriate alcohol in the mornings and nap during the afternoon.   Life, unfortunately never provided me the opportunity.   I should have lived in an area where siestas are the norm.

12 minutes ago, DaveO said:

The review for Milktooth was intriguing and inviting.  The menu looks excellent.  How the hell did a place with so much care and focus on breakfast end up in Indianapolis?  (j/k--good for the locals and the smart visitors).    If I could have afforded the time, I'd dine in luxury with appropriate alcohol in the mornings and nap during the afternoon.   Life, unfortunately never provided me the opportunity.   I should have lived in an area where siestas are the norm.

Indianapolis is in the protean stages of developing a hipster subpopulation, but it's a very small subset. Still, there's an amazing pizzeria north of town called Pizzology - keep that in your back pocket if you ever go.