"South Park" (1997-), Adult, Animated Sit-Com - Created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone

Banco

On 10/18/2015 at 10:35 AM, Toogs said:

The recent episode about Yelp is amazing and I think many here will appreciate it.  And probably several will be offended but that's life.

Contains Spoilers:

"'South Park' is Right: Yelp Has Made Us All Jerks" by Bre Payton on thefederalist.com

That was one of the most epic episodes of South Park. They completely nailed it.

On 10/21/2015 at 8:30 AM, DonRocks said:

That article takes a weird turn:

"Fappy The Anti-Masturbation Dolphin, a mascot for a Christian anti-masturbation organization, says the company is losing business because of Yelp reviewers."

I think NBC might need to do some fact checking.

I've always found it useful to tack on an extra half-star or star onto a place's average Yelp review depending on my first impressions of their fare and fascia (both actual and website).  I call it 'compensating for dickheads.'

That being said, if someplace has less than what seems to be the 'fixed average' of right around three stars, and there's a healthy amount of reviews, I will be a bit leery.

Please please please tell me you watched the South Park episode about yelp that I posted about.

Rocks, do it. It's genuinely hysterical.

19 seasons in, and these guys still bring it more often than not.

I watched it last night. It was a mixture of hysterical and cringeworthy - as someone who runs a Yelp-like website, I pray to God we aren't thought of like that; I would rather shut down than be despised. I don't *think* we are, but boy, I could use some reassurance right about now.

On 10/29/2015 at 9:38 AM, DonRocks said:

I watched it last night. It was a mixture of hysterical and cringeworthy - as someone who runs a Yelp-like website, I pray to God we aren't thought of like that; I would rather shut down than be despised. I don't *think* we are, but boy, I could use some reassurance right about now.

Yep, that's South Park - hysterical and cringeworthy.

Remember that the entire premise of their humor is taking the worst offender and carrying the model to the extreme. So DR.com is safe.  :D

I don't think I've ever seen you 'brag' when it comes to reviews, Don.  And the whole point of the episode was people thinking they were entitled to special treatment because they ~held sway~ over owners - we're not really here to ruin restaurants, we're really just here to give each other good steers and stories.  This forum requires an investment in the community to get to the 'goods,' and it provides local restaurant owners a place where they can converse with and engage existing and potential diners who have earned the right to post and make use of the dining guide.

Yelp requires, what, a confirmed email address? <_<

If you haven't seen this song, you're in for a hilarious treat. It's so fast you'll need the lyrics;

Cartman: You guys, this is all Kyle's mom's fault.

Kyle: Shut up Cartman!

Cartman: Kyle's mom is the one that started that damn club all because she's a big fat stupid b-

Kyle: Don't say it Cartman!

Cartman: WEEEEELLLLL

Kyle: Don't do it Cartman!

cartman: WEEELLLLLL

Kyle: I'm warning you!

Cartman: Ok ok

Kyle: I'm getting pretty sick of him calling my mom a -

Cartman: WEEELL Kyle mom's a bitch she's a big fat bitch, she's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world she's a stupid bitch if there ever was a bitch, she's a bitch to all the boys and girls

Kyle: SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH CARTMAN!

Cartman: On Monday she's a bitch, on Tuesday she's a bitch, on Wednesday through Saturday she's a bitch, then on Sunday just to be different she's a super king kamaya-maya bee-atch!

Cartman: Come on you all know the words! Have you ever met my friend Kyle's mom she's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world she's a mean old bitch and she has stupid hair she's a bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch she's a stupid bitch! Kyle's mom's a bitch and she's just a dirty bitch!

Cartman: Talk to kids around the world and it might go a little bit somethin' like this

(chinese kids)
(french kids)
(dutch kids)
(african kids)

Cartman: Have you ever met my friend Kyle's mom she's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world she's a mean old bitch and she has stupid hair, she's a bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch

(crowd: gasp)

Cartman: bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch she's a stupid bitch

Stan: Uhh Cartman

Cartman: Kyle's mom's a bitch and she's just a dirty bitch!
I really mean it Kyle's mom
She's a big fat stinky bitch!
Big old fat fucking bitch!
Kyle's mom, yeah! chaaa!

What?

Oh. Fuck.