I.M. Wine

Pool Boy

I.MM. Wine

While boastingly in 'Columbia' this place is in Fulton, aka the 'new' Maple Lawn, land of the overpriced suburbia. But the folks who run this place are *awesome*. Great wine picks, honest advice and tasting notes that are not solely based on Parker or whatever other wine critic has offered up the best score (nor do they ever do the bait and switch that so many other wine shops do with scores and different vintages). Very helpful.

Is it the best selection ever? No.

Is it the best possible price on something? No, go to New Jersey.

Is it the best possible advice on the planet ever? No.

BUT.

Is it convenient to central Marylanders? Hells yeah.

Do they offer a very good selection of a variety of wine producers and wine producing regions? Hells yeah!

Do they have very good pricing, including good mixed case discounts and a 'rewards' program with real obtainable 'rewards'? Hells yeah!

Do they have the conviction to choose offbeat wines and producers with really good character and quality? Hells yeah!

This place has become *my* wineshop of choice over the past 2 years. I do definitely recommend it. I particularly like the fact that the guys who are ALWAYS there NEVER treat me like a schlub when I am slumming it by keeping my case buys to under $180 all too often. And yet, STILL, I drink some very good to great wines.

Tell me, what is not to love?

I.MM. Wine

While boastingly in 'Columbia' this place is in Fulton, aka the 'new' Maple Lawn, land of the overpriced suburbia. But the folks who run this place are *awesome*. Great wine picks, honest advice and tasting notes that are not solely based on Parker or whatever other wine critic has offered up the best score (nor do they ever do the bait and switch that so many other wine shops do with scores and different vintages). Very helpful.

Is it the best selection ever? No.

Is it the best possible price on something? No, go to New Jersey.

Is it the best possible advice on the planet ever? No.

BUT.

Is it convenient to central Marylanders? Hells yeah.

Do they offer a very good selection of a variety of wine producers and wine producing regions? Hells yeah!

Do they have very good pricing, including good mixed case discounts and a 'rewards' program with real obtainable 'rewards'? Hells yeah!

Do they have the conviction to choose offbeat wines and producers with really good character and quality? Hells yeah!

This place has become *my* wineshop of choice over the past 2 years. I do definitely recommend it. I particularly like the fact that the guys who are ALWAYS there NEVER treat me like a schlub when I am slumming it by keeping my case buys to under $180 all too often. And yet, STILL, I drink some very good to great wines.

Tell me, what is not to love?

Their emails offer some deals and I picked up some 08 St Innocent for a good price. I have yet to pick up my order but plan a trip soon.

I dropped a bottle of wine there this past weekend. They were so gracious -- they said it was nothing compared to the guy who dropped a bottle of $500 Amarone.

I've been loading up on Spanish and French wines mainly here, I think their Italian selection is a little more pricey that what I am willing to part with these days. They do offer up a nice selection of US wine, including some favorites of mine like Radio Coteau and Le Cadeau, not to mention the occasional appearance of Hermann Wiemer from NY. I also sometimes get some Argentinian stuff as well as even a white I like from Australia (perish the thought!).....

FWIW, it should be noted that this placed changed ownership about 2 to 3 years ago. After a slightly bumpy first 6 months after this change, things have settled in pretty well. I miss the two guys that did most of the wine buying, but I like the new folks and their selection still seems pretty solid. And it is still a lot easier for me to go here than to DC to shop for wine.