Cookbook Recommendations

bonaire

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian is outstanding.

I've made dozens of preparations based on that tome, not a single dud yet. It's also highly educational and helps you build on your own techniques.

The best cookbooks are the ones that make you not need them anymore!

And as you noted, Moosewood is always in style. My favorite, oddly enough, is "Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites". The estimated preparation times, serving sizes, and nutrition information are a boon for someone trying to learn the ropes with this stuff. If you check out the reviews on Amazon, my more detailed review is buried in there somewhere with the other 75 or more perspectives.

And as you noted, Moosewood is always in style. My favorite, oddly enough, is "Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites". The estimated preparation times, serving sizes, and nutrition information are a boon for someone trying to learn the ropes with this stuff.

That's an excellent cookbook. I've recommended it to a lot of people.

I am looking forward to cooking from Lidia Bastianich's new book, Lidia Cooks From The Heart Of Italy,after seeing her last night at the Smithsonian. She was interviewed by Joe Yonan of the WaPo, and answered questions ranging from her childhood and immigration to America, her cooking career, TV career, restaurant career and even cooking tips that precipitated an audible growling of stomachs.

The book provides insight into and recipes from 12 regions of Italy. At a glance,the recipes seem as straightforward and simplistic and Lidia herself, and are meant to convey from her home kitchen (where she films for PBS)to yours. Very much like the recipes she does on Lidia's Table.

In response to an audience member's question, she related her experience cooking for the Pope last year. On the second consecutive day of cooking (a task that she was left to do with no instructions or preferences,other than "no cinnamon"), Lidia decided to make the German Pope an entirely German feast, including apple strudel. I think it can be said that there is no greater compliment that can be given than "this is my Mother's cooking".

She beamed with pride.

Any suggestions for my mom, a newbie vegetarian cook? I was thinking of getting her Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and maybe one of the Moosewood books. What do you all think?

Yes, that Deborah Madison book for sure; it is by far the most stained and busted-up cookbook in our house. Bittman's "How to" is good too.

Any suggestions for my mom, a newbie vegetarian cook? I was thinking of getting her Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and maybe one of the Moosewood books. What do you all think?

I heartily recommend Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I use this book at least once a week and I've not found a bad recipe yet. Many of the recipes are sublime. (I should add, we are not vegetarians, we just appreciate and need a vegetarian meal a few times a week.)

In contrast, the Moosewood Low-Fat Cookbook has let me down more times than it's succeeded. The more I use that book, the less I like it.

I second what foodtrip says about VC4E. If your mother shops regularly at farmers markets, I might go w the author's Local Flavors instead just because it's beautifully illustrated; some cooks are more inspired by tempting photographs than recipes. However, your mother is exactly the type of person that Madison hopes to reach w VC4E.

Moosewood deserves credit for spreading the gospel, but my well-used, original publication is dated: too hippy, lots of weird combos and over-reliance on dairy. (A friend really likes the "At Home" book of perhaps a decade ago.)

If you want two gifts, you have a bounty of choices since the vegan/veg books at my local Border's now outnumber Italian (the previous trend) and even baking books. I wouldn't choose another comprehensive tome (Mark Bittman, Passiondragon or whatever her name is, Jack Bishop...), unless I went with an alternative "classic" which Charlie Trotter reveres: Vegetarian Epicure (there's a revised edition--see if it combines 1st & 2nd volumes since the 2nd book was the best) or something that focuses on produce or seasonal cooking, such as Chez Panisse Vegetables or Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries.

Another alternative would be to go Asian or Middle-Eastern. Consult Jaffrey's classic or Silk Road Cooking.

I didn't find it mentioned here (or maybe I missed it) and maybe I am just not in the hip crowd, but I am addicted to the New Best Cookbook from the America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated folks. It overthinks things sometimes, but probably 75-80% of the stuff I have made from it has been out-of-the-park good.

I may fiddle with the recipes after a first try but tend to follow them to the letter the first time I make them. They've already done a whole lot of work fine tuning them so I'm willing to see what they've come up with.

You may have already bought this gift, but I think the answer turns on whether you mean a "new cook" or a "new vegetarian." How To Cook Everything Vegetarian is a terrific book for someone doesn't cook a lot and wants to cook vegetarian food. I love it. Great recipes -- aimed towards the simple and full of good ideas. Bittman really talks about how you can eat vegetarian, how to use beans, etc. Some of those basic tips have been my favorite parts.

Madison's book is wonderful, but it is really more complex and better aimed at someone who loves to cook. It is more recipe, recipe, recipe without the general sections about how to use certain ingredients. I love some of the recipes, but I don't pick it up on weekdays. I'd aim that at someone who already cooks and wants some vegetarian ideas.

(I loved the Moosewood cookbooks 20 years ago, but I have to say that I think they're nowhere near as good or useful as Bittman or Madison.)

I need something new to read; something that makes me feel like I did when the French Laundry Cookbook arrived at my house, and I got all excited about learning new techniques and recipes again. Barnes & Noble today didn't have anything that made me even want to leaf through. Is anyone out there in the same boat?

Admittedly, I'm still a novice in comparison to many of the frequent posters on here...but I've actually been pretty excited reading Reinhart's books (Bread Bakers Apprentice, American Pie, and Artisian Breads Everyday). As someone who hadn't baked bread before I found it engaging and it's gotten me interested enough to try my hand (I first picked them up just before the Feb. snow) with surprisingly good results thus far.

That said, based on your French Laundry comment you're probably looking for something different...just thought I'd throw my 2 cents out.

I need something new to read; something that makes me feel like I did when the French Laundry Cookbook arrived at my house, and I got all excited about learning new techniques and recipes again. Barnes & Noble today didn't have anything that made me even want to leaf through. Is anyone out there in the same boat?

Go back and re-read Madeleine Kamman's When French Women Cook. It'll put things in perspective. As one reviewer wrote, "You can't cook from it, but, then, it doesn't matter."

I have two editions of that, and while it's a fine read, it's not encouraging me to put on an apron right now.

It's an insidious rut. I got OK at what I was exploring, and now need a technical/philosophical challenge. Maybe I need to try cooking a new cuisine, like Italian or Chinese.

Bread is a fine subject to dive into, but I have a tiny oven that only works intermittently. ;)

Maybe I need to try cooking a new cuisine, like Italian or Chinese.

I'm enjoying Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper, a sweet-sour memoir of eating in China by Fuchsia Dunlop. It's not a cookbook, but it might inspire you to acquire one of her cookbooks and cook some of the dishes she talks about--she's English, and was the first "westerner" to attend the Sichuan cooking academy, likely the same school where Peter Chang earned his bona fides.

I'm enjoying Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper, a sweet-sour memoir of eating in China by Fuchsia Dunlop. It's not a cookbook, but it might inspire you to acquire one of her cookbooks and cook some of the dishes she talks about--she's English, and was the first "westerner" to attend the Sichuan cooking academy, likely the same school where Peter Chang earned his bona fides.

I second the Dunlop recommendation. Although I've always been a Eurocentric cook, I enjoy the recipes from "Land of Plenty" more than those in any other cookbook I own. This book opened up a whole new cultural taste world for me that I had scarcely any clue about before.

I second the recommendation for Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient. It really helped me appreciate various animal fats and how I can use them in my kitchen.

Cook's Illustrated's The New Best Recipes is also a good place for ideas and techniques. If you already have that, they also put out an annual compilation of new recipes.

I second the Dunlop recommendation. Although I've always been a Eurocentric cook, I enjoy the recipes from "Land of Plenty" more than those in any other cookbook I own. This book opened up a whole new cultural taste world for me that I had scarcely any clue about before.

Love this book. Also have been cooking from Momofuku -- warning there are definitely no very few 30 minute meals in it.

If you want to go on a real tangent, I recommend Lizzie Cunningham's book "Curry: A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors". It's an excellent examination of how history influenced the culinary tradition in India. There are some good recipes scattered throughout the book. As a follow up, my mom gave me a Bengali cookbook from her last trip to Kolkata and darned if it doesn't nail the flavours I grew up with.

You know where to find them if you're interested!

Great photographs help such as those in Momofuku or Happy in the Kitchen.

Along those lines, cf. Turquoise where the link offers a really good sequence of other covers to browse below; currently on page 11, last book (regional Spanish food) and on page 20, first book (New Food of Life) whet appetites. This is a hard time of year to recharge, though; after all those months of braises and soups, there still isn't any asparagus.

Wish I could think of an Italian book that would truly inspire, though I can't unless you're willing to get into some time-consuming prep. Then, I'd dust off the pasta maker and go with The Splendid Table.

I also find Leite's web site has enticing ;) (we should have a thread on trite food words) pictures along w an interesting range of recipes.

I want something NEW and INSPIRING...

One Amazon reviewer called Jim Lahey a "one trick pony" and stated that you could learn all you need about his method of baking bread by reading his recipe that is all over the web, but I don't think that this person actually read "My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method" or they would see that he goes far deeper into the subject, and provides different formulas and techniques for different types of bread (and a great pizza dough).

Why is my post in this thread? ;) I don't want people to tell me what their favorite cookbooks are. I want something NEW and INSPIRING, not tried and true. Something that makes the cook learn new ingredients and techniques.

{The thread wasn't really about favorites but rather more what you were looking for, and your post and its thread were moved in an effort to avoid duplicating topics. Thread title changed in an attempt to reflect this better.}

{The thread wasn't really about favorites but rather more what you were looking for, and your post and its thread were moved in an effort to avoid duplicating topics. Thread title changed in an attempt to reflect this better.}

Thank you! I realized rereading my post that it sounded a lot crankier than I felt.

The Fuschia Dunlop that Banco is in love with might get me out of a rut.

Hi all -- am looking for some great beginner/intermediate level cookbooks as holiday gifts for my sister, who struggles with the difference polish sausage and shoe polish. Thoughts? I've already nailed down The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques and Science of Good Cooking but thought I'd branch out. Are there cookbooks you constantly rely upon? What has the best of basic recipes? I'm looking for anything that will both allow her to eat AND keep her alive in the kitchen.. ;)

My advise for a new cook is not to dumb down your first cookbook selection with basic fare and often dull generic cookbooks. Here are some "classics" in my mind that are easy to follow and where ingredients are easy to get. My first suggestion, would be to avoid James BIttman. In my opinion he is overrated, and his recipes very dull and unimaginative.

For seafood: The Seafood Cookbook: Classic to Contemporary, by Pierre Franey and Bryan Miller, and Fish & Shellfish by James Peterson.

All around cooking: any of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks, particularly the new Jamie's Food Revolution, Cook with Jamie, and Jamie's Dinners: The Essential family Cookbook.

Cooking bibles: Joy of Cooking (lastest 75th anniv. edition), James Beard's American Cookery.

Italian: Marcella Hazan's Classic Italian Cooking.

Asian: : Simple Chinese Cooking by Kylie Kwong.

My advise for a new cook is not to dumb down your first cookbook selection with basic fare and often dull generic cookbooks. Here are some "classics" in my mind that are easy to follow and where ingredients are easy to get. My first suggestion, would be to avoid James BIttman. In my opinion he is overrated, and his recipes very dull and unimaginative.

For seafood: The Seafood Cookbook: Classic to Contemporary, by Pierre Franey and Bryan Miller, and Fish & Shellfish by James Peterson.

All around cooking: any of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks, particularly the new Jamie's Food Revolution, Cook with Jamie, and Jamie's Dinners: The Essential family Cookbook.

Cooking bibles: Joy of Cooking (lastest 75th anniv. edition), James Beard's American Cookery.

Italian: Marcella Hazan's Classic Italian Cooking.

Asian: : Simple Chinese Cooking by Kylie Kwong.

{Just a note that the post you responded to was from 2005. ;)}

{Just a note that the post you responded to was from 2005. :P}

I noticed that as well, but find the information helpful on it's own merits. The quote just gives it context. ;)

Recommendations for all levels of cooking are always welcomed! Especially since the volumes of cookbooks available can be overwhelming to a beginner or novice.

I noticed that as well, but find the information helpful on it's own merits. The quote just gives it context. ;)

Recommendations for all levels of cooking are always welcomed! Especially since the volumes of cookbooks available can be overwhelming to a beginner or novice.

Excellent point and wholeheartedly agree; just didn't want the poster to wonder why there was no direct response if one didn't come, since the prompt was from a while ago. :P

I have two recommendations that I don't think I've seen in this thread (though I may be wrong) - one each for a beginner and for someone just looking to be inspired.

Tom Colicchio's "Think Like a Chef" - which I still use if for nothing else than for time temp advise (or would if I hadn't recently loaned it to a friend who's just learning to appreciate food not to mention trying to learn to cook). I find the chapter breakdown by basic techniques (sautéing, braising, etc) rather than ingredient to be particularly helpful.

Paul Bertolli’s "Cooking by Hand" - It may "just" be Italian and it can be rather Thomas Keller in-depth (in other words complicated and/or requiring equipment not in an average home kitchen) but if you're willing to put in the time and effort it's a great resource for making things such as pasta, sausage/cured meat, or vinegar. If nothing else it's an excellent read if you're inspired by someone who truly seems to enjoy food and the process of cooking even if his obviously superior ability and knowledge can be rather daunting without the pretty pictures from a Keller book.

Tonight: Summer squash stuffed with feta, sweet corn, spring onion (summer onion?), salt, pepper, and nutmeg

Romaine salad with feta dressing

The squash recipe was adapted from Marian Morash's Victory Garden Cookbook. I'll give it another plug here because I know a lot of people don't know about it. Morash is the wife of an avid gardener (understatement alert), was a restaurant chef, then executive chef for one of Julia Child's shows alongside Sara Moulton, then she went on to the Victory Garden series. This cookbook is AMAZING for vegetable ideas. It has basic preparations for each vegetable, then multiple French treatments (crêpes, timbales, soufflés, quiches, tartes with alternating layers of veg and whipped eggs), then more American fare (quick breads, veg cakes, pancakes, anything with loads of cheese), but all the sections are geared toward the person who has a lot of produce to consider. It is an absolute lifesaver for someone who, hypothetically speaking, lives in a two person family, yet finds herself in possession of ten summer squash, a dozen ears of corn, five or six pounds of tomatoes, seven huge onions...

I love the Victory Garden cookbook! It used to be my go-to source for vegetable ideas. I cannot believe that, in a moment of insanity, during a downsizing, I gave it away :) along with dozens of other cookbooks. It's the only one I'd really like to have back. (Well, maybe also the Vegetarian Epicure, although I at least had the good sense to photocopy my favorite recipes from that book.)

<snip> I gave it away along with dozens of other cookbooks.

Old Ebbitt Express has free cookbook exchanges - drop one off, pick one up. The selection is here and there, but maybe, just maybe, one day that might end up there for you to pick up?

Old Ebbitt Express has free cookbook exchanges - drop one off, pick one up. The selection is here and there, but maybe, just maybe, one day that might end up there for you to pick up?

Available on AbeBooks.

Thank you both! With a fridge full of fresh, local produce, and many more farmers markets visits anticipated in the next few months, I am inspired to look into this.

Started working through James Oseland's Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore.

http://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Flavor-Indonesia-Singapore-Malaysia/dp/0393054772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279897704&sr=8-1

If you enjoy Saveur Magazine, then you will appreciate this cook book since a good chunk of it contains his travelouge through the region. each section starts with a vignette related to that section etc.

Also, the book is decently veggie friendly with sections on rice/noodles, veggies, and tofu/tempeh...and if you are veggie+seafood then a good portion of the book will work for you...shrimp paste is used in a good number of dishes.

There are some obscure ingredients which need a visit to a good asian grocery store...and having a nearby source for galangal is helpful...but a good number of dishes can be made with a trip to Whole Foods or the better stocked regular grocery stores in the area.

You mean I can finally dump all those Emeril books my parents have been giving me every damned Christmas on somebody else?

I have 200+ cookbooks. Emeril's "New New Orleans Cooking" (his first) is still the best of all.

Edited by goodeats
By Joe H's post request.

I have very old series cookbooks from Time Life magazine. I use The Cooking of French Provence among them a lot.

I like The Kitchen Diaries: A Year in the Kitchen with Nigel Slater, too. It is his diary combined with recipes, which is not only a good cookbook but also a good reading material.

Just wanted to give a little love to one of my favorites - "Nigella Bites". It's always fun to flip through and full of easy, flavorful recipes. I whipped up her double-potato and halloumi bake last night and it was delicious, in addition to being visually stunning with all the colors of the various ingredients. Her chocolate pots are probably one of the easiest (and richest and yummiest) desserts I've made in a long time. The Union Square Cafe's bar nuts recipe is another simple standby.

I'm looking forward to checking out her latest "Nigella Kitchen" and hope the BBC 2 series makes its way over here before too long.

I have very old series cookbooks from Time Life magazine. I use The Cooking of French Provence among them a lot.

It was my great good fortune twenty years ago to find an entire set of the Time-Life Foods of the World - including the American regional cookbooks and an all of the spiral-bound companion recipe booklets - at the Goodwill book sale at the old convention center. I didn't have the $100 (!) they were asking for it, so I waited patiently until the last day when everything was half-price.

I'm re-reading I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris in preparation for the upcoming holiday season, and have her newest tome, Simple Times: Crafts For Poor People on preorder. :)

Has anyone cooked from Ann Amernick's The Art of the Dessert? And if you have, did you have any problems?

lperry has. I keep meaning to make the honey grahams and hope to tomorrow...or after the rally on Saturday.

Anyone tried the new book by Dorie Greenspan, Around my French Table? Gorgeous photographs.

Finally, I've mentioned this, but want to provide link to Warm Bread and honey cake. Took it out of the library and plan to try some poğaça--Hungarian buns made w a yogurt dough, stuffed w feta and parsley. Sound perfect for soup! The savory things all intrigue, e.g. alu roti, potato-stuffed flatbreads said to be popular in Indian communities in the Caribbean. Kuchen borracho: a Chilean cake of Germanic origin which layers cake w an apple cream that oozes warm from the oven. All sorts of spice and nut cakes...steamed buns including baozi.

Just wanted to give a little love to one of my favorites - "Nigella Bites". It's always fun to flip through and full of easy, flavorful recipes.

I love both "Nigella Bites" and "How to be a Domestic Goddess". From the former, the chicken with chorizo and cannellini beans is my go-to recipe when the non-chicken-eating Azami isn't around, and I love the sausage and lentils in the winter. From the latter, I'm a fan of the dinner pies -- sausage and spinach, onion with scone crust.

How do you like this? Does it have good tips, or is it mostly just a fun read?

Both, I think. She is, of course, totally insane in a good way, and lots of the book is hilarious. That said, the recipes are actually pretty good and her style of entertaining suits me more than Martha's.