"The Kimchi Chronicles"

Tweaked

According to Chosun Ilbo (Korean Newspaper), it will be aired in January 2011 showing 13 episodes. (I read the article 6 months ago so let's cross our fingers)

I hope this program introduces Korean foods in more approachable way. To tell the truth, I was very disappointed at the Korean Episodes in Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie and Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations.

Has anyone an opinion of the place to go which they believe to be the best Korean food?

I'm afraid you'll have to define "best". It depends on what you're hungry for, whether you favor cooking from the north or the south, whether you prefer seafood or beef or pork, well, you get the idea.

Marja Vongerichten is Korean. If you heard my name before you met me, you might also assume that I'm not Korean as well.

Well, Korean-American anyway (half mee-guk, half han-guk and living in the US since she was three). And now that you've made that statement, you'll have to tell me your name so I can see if I assume you're not Korean :). (just kidding about the name part).

I'm afraid you'll have to define "best". It depends on what you're hungry for, whether you favor cooking from the north or the south, whether you prefer seafood or beef or pork, well, you get the idea.

Good idea. List out all the above and give us the best place for each! (I'll bet there will still be some overlap, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong).

I' m getting it on ch. 480 (verizon fios), which is PBS MPT SLCT. I put it in the DVR ages ago, & was surprised when it taped the other day. The show is ok, great shots of Korea & I'm hoping that Marja will grow on me, as primary narrator...their daughter is adorable.

No, definitely stand alone, 1st episode had them cooking bulgogi, I think w/ Hugh Jackman (he was a wuss, didn't like spicy), 2nd episode focused on rice, visit to a rice processing plant w/Heather Graham (looks like there will be all sorts of random celebs), guy making rice cakes, & Marja & Jean-George making 2 kinds of fried rice-kimchi & garlic, they also made kimbap w/ their daughter.

Previews of upcoming episodes had J-G diving w/ lady shellfish divers, looked like fun...

I' m getting it on ch. 480 (verizon fios), which is PBS MPT SLCT. I put it in the DVR ages ago, & was surprised when it taped the other day. The show is ok, great shots of Korea & I'm hoping that Marja will grow on me, as primary narrator...their daughter is adorable.

Thanks! Got it setup now to record the series.

Marja is a bit disappointing as the primary narrator. It's suppose to be her story, yet she appears unengaged by the culinary visits.

I've caught many of the episodes via Create during a weekend marathon they had several months ago. Overall it is a decent show. The family/rediscovering my roots part of the show is engaging. The "Look I'm having lunch with my friend Heather Graham" and "Oh, Hugh Jackman and his wife came over for dinner" are fairly annoying.

I would say the show is probably on par with Spain: On the Road Again. Although I would take Claudia Bassols over Heather Graham :D

The Kimchi Chronicle's website has some decent recipes online.

However, I would say Kimchi Chronicles is not as good as Jose Andres Made in Spain or Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie.

The "Look I'm having lunch with my friend Heather Graham" .... are fairly annoying.

Ha - that's the only episode I've seen (a portion of). I thought Heather Graham's contribution (mmmmmm, yum, uh-huh, being among the more notable quotes) was worthless, beyond providing a little bit of star power.

oh, Heather makes multiple appearances!

perhaps the most gratuitous scene is when Jean-Georges has Marja mix together his bibimbap as JG adjusts his first class airline sofabed into a more comfortable position. Because, you know, Marja just does a better job of mixing the bibimbap together at 30,000 feet than he does. :rolleyes: