Palena Cafe, the old "Front Room" expands in Cleveland Park with Two Dining Rooms and Bars, and a Separate Kitchen - Closed

I just did a blog post on Palena Cafe here which demonstrates some of the same issues detailed by qwerty. I also echo the sentiments about meh food and high prices. Love for Palena is not limited to this board, however, which still has me wondering if I am missing something. I will try it at again at some point - maybe for lunch. I'm not willing to give up just yet. But I appreciate having my negative feelings validated by some of you on this thread/

As one of the more enthusiastic Palena bulls on this board, just checked back for the few weeks of posts I'd not yet read since I went for dinner last night (Saturday). First, we had a typically great experience because:

- though the place was packed, we were able to get a table in less than 10 minutes

- deviled eggs were delicious and innovative (mustard instead of mayo with seasoning and herbs) as they were the last couple of times I'd had them

- my friend's roast chicken was as great as ever but I'll comment on this more specifically below

- the gnocchi was Chef's great gnocchi in every way: light, fluffy with delicious castelmagno and light tomato sauce (I'd been concerned about this since a post several weeks ago)

- cod cakes; hadn't had this before so tried it. not my favorite and probably wouldn't order it again but it was well executed

- thought the brodetto with vermicelli (from a previous lunch about which I didn't post) was really outstanding

- not sure I'd compare Agnes Chin to Ann Amernick yet but I've now had 4 or 5 of her desserts and thought them all very delicious and thoughtfully prepared. I think she's a real and growing talent.

- the caesar salad doesn't seem to get a lot of props or critiques here but I order it regularly and think it also better than most any other in this region. Always perfectly fresh romaine, crisped capers, delicious egg cooked somewhere between soft and hard boiled and the wonderful, light, citrusy and cheesy dressing. And, Palena always willingly divides this two separate portions for us with no hassle or extra charge.

- our server did a great job. wish i didn't forget his name but he was younger with longer brown hair and took very good care of us despite the crowd

As an FYI, we were told last night that the front market/coffee space is now expected by end of Feb. I didn't ask what was causing the delay but will next time if someone else doesn't post on it here first.

And, responding to just two of my fellow posters who had less satisfying experiences:

ate at Palena for the first time tonight. ...the hamburger was completely unremarkable, the brussel sprouts were cold, and the chicken was bland.

I guess the different opinions we all bring enrich the discussion but I just don't understand the comment about the burger. It's a housemade cheeseburger with a housemade bun, housemade pickles and housemade ketchup (how many places do all that?!). to me, it's always freakin' delicious and very much remarkable. And, "bland" chicken? The chicken we had last night was as large a portion as I've ever had in many years. The skin was totally crisped and seasoned. Meat was moist and exceptionally flavorful. All the attributes that have made this the "famous roast chicken." I always laugh that servers are trained to warn customers that its preparation requires 45 minutes and then nearly always deliver it to table in less than 30.

Since qwerty has the unmitigated gall to gore a sacred cow, I will just add that I have been to Palena twice this year--once for dinner in the dining room and once for lunch in the new space--and I will only go again if somebody else (other than Dame Edna, that is) is paying. I truly do not understand the love this place is getting on this board. The food was meh and was terribly over-priced, particularly that lunch.

Not sure about "sacred cow"s and I appreciate qwerty and everyone's constructive views here however aligned with or different from my own. Not everything Palena does is exceptional (for example, the cod cakes above) but Chef Ruta always has--and very much still is--putting out food that is so thoughtful and carefully prepared and, most of all, delicious with plenty of wow's. I don't think it over priced given the ingredients, quality and expertise in the kitchen. Maybe the poster had an off lunch--that can happen anywhere--but, having had 2 or 3 lunches and about 4 dinners at Palena since the new space opened, I continue to find the food to be generally exceptional and reasonably priced given that standard...and a new pastry chef, who for the first time in years, is producing desserts the equal of Chef Ruta's food.

and a new pastry chef, who for the first time in years, is producing desserts the equal of Chef Ruta's food.

Go Aggie! Just sayin'... :)

Aggie is the first pastry chef I've ever worked with in my career where most of her dessert menu tastings ended with me saying "Yes! No changes." She is a young, talented, passionate master of her craft. I am not a dessert fan in general (most of them are too sweet for me) but I love her creations because she shows deft restraint with sugar and acidity levels.

Go Aggie! Just sayin'... :)

Aggie is the first pastry chef I've ever worked with in my career where most of her dessert menu tastings ended with me saying "Yes! No changes." She is a young, talented, passionate master of her craft. I am not a dessert fan in general (most of them are too sweet for me) but I love her creations because she shows deft restraint with sugar and acidity levels.

Totally agree. I dare say she rocks.

I guess the different opinions we all bring enrich the discussion but I just don't understand the comment about the burger. It's a housemade cheeseburger with a housemade bun, housemade pickles and housemade ketchup (how many places do all that?!). to me, it's always freakin' delicious and very much remarkable. And, "bland" chicken? The chicken we had last night was as large a portion as I've ever had in many years. The skin was totally crisped and seasoned. Meat was moist and exceptionally flavorful. All the attributes that have made this the "famous roast chicken." I always laugh that servers are trained to warn customers that its preparation requires 45 minutes and then nearly always deliver it to table in less than 30.

I've always thought that the burger was a great example of how great intentions are only half the battle. For all its artisanal qualities, I've found it (and, to a lesser extent, the chicken) bland and overrated.

In fact, while I think the back room (do we still call it that?) doesn't get the recognition it deserves, I've always been a little mystified by the cafe's cult following.

I've always thought that the burger was a great example of how great intentions are only half the battle. For all its artisanal qualities, I've found it (and, to a lesser extent, the chicken) bland and overrated.

In fact, while I think the back room (do we still call it that?) doesn't get the recognition it deserves, I've always been a little mystified by the cafe's cult following.

I think the burger is a fine burger. Love the chicken, but I rarely order them as I far prefer to explore the rest of the changing cafe menu. Their brodetto is pretty amazing, but everyone has their own tastes, so no big deal if we all do not agree. The thing I find odd, and am unfortunately guilty of as well, is the 'go to a place once (or twice) and then vow to never go back (or not for a long while)' point of view. Sure, you had an experience that you didn't find great but to never go back? Seems extreme. But I am guilty of this with respect to Restaurant Eve. My only justification is that it is in Alexandria, which is kind of a pain for me to get to. But I always vowed to later get back there and try their 'normal' menu (as opposed to their tasting menu) where I could customize my own experience. Will try to do that in 2011.

With respect to the Cafe section, I still am willing to cut service issues some slack since the staff is all new (IIRC) and they've only been at this for 8 weeks. Hopefully service issues on the Cafe side will gel and get more consistent.

But I also agree with Waitman -- the back room is really where Palena shines. Is it expensive? Yes. So it pains me that I cannot make it there more often than I do. While I enjoy both menus, given the dollars and the choice, I'd go for the back room.

QUESTION -- when folks opt for the Cafe seating, are you typically given the choice for the 'new' space, the 'old' space or one of the two bars? Just curious.

QUESTION -- when folks opt for the Cafe seating, are you typically given the choice for the 'new' space, the 'old' space or one of the two bars? Just curious.

I had dinner in the Cafe a couple of weeks ago. When we arrived we requested to sit in the 'old' space and were readily accommodated. We arrived fairly early, so the space was still relatively empty. We were extremely pleased with our experience, both with the food and the service. Of course, I never got around to dining in the Cafe before the new section opened, so I can't compare our recent experience with a pre-expansion experience.

I had my birthday dinner in the back room ten days ago--it's been several years since my last meal there. I've eaten in the café a few times, but hadn't been there since the new one opened. When we arrived, the café was packed and hopping with young energy. The back room was, by contrast, sparsely populated by older folks, and was very serene. Our meal was brilliant, with the possible exception of a rabbit ragu that was almost over-salted, although neither one of us considered not eating every morsel of it anyway. That was the only mis-step in a fabulous meal that included the legendary consommé with foie gras and cockscomb. The service was polished and attentive.

It seems to me that Palena is now two entirely separate restaurants, with separate kitchens, kitchen staffs and wait staffs. While Frank Ruta is the über-chef, it seems to me that his presence is felt much more in the back, where the serious meals are prepared. He has caught and is surfing the wave of the casual, lively bistro in his Palena Café, but it is obvious that his heart is with those who can afford to appreciate his efforts in the back room.

He has caught and is surfing the wave of the casual, lively bistro in his Palena Café, but it is obvious that his heart is with those who can afford to appreciate his efforts in the back room.

Because heaven forbid people who can't afford a full back room experience should have the opportunity to appreciate the full range of his cooking.

(Yes, I'm still bitter about the change. This was the first birthday in years that I opted not to go to Palena since I wasn't in the mood for second class citizen treatment.)

Because heaven forbid people who can't afford a full back room experience should have the opportunity to appreciate the full range of his cooking.

(Yes, I'm still bitter about the change. This was the first birthday in years that I opted not to go to Palena since I wasn't in the mood for second class citizen treatment.)

Why is it second class citizen treatment? Because you cannot order from the regular restaurant menu? Sure the service is a bit shaky, but the food is still good. The cafe menu is rather expansive now and certainly offers some delicious food.

From most of the talk here you would think all they serve is a hamburger and roasted chicken. There are 21 other items on the menu.

Why is it second class citizen treatment? Because you cannot order from the regular restaurant menu? Sure the service is a bit shaky, but the food is still good. The cafe menu is rather expansive now and certainly offers some delicious food.

From most of the talk here you would think all they serve is a hamburger and roasted chicken. There are 21 other items on the menu.

Agreed. Although I enjoyed the old cafe and the option of ordering off the back room menu, all the consternation over the "new cafe" seems odd to me, particularly given the logistics involved with both kitchens.

Presenting the new hottest restaurant in town: Palena Cafe.

At 8:30 tonight, there was a 30-minute wait, but while you were waiting, you could have looked around the dining room and spotted:

Frank Ruta, looking happier and more energized than I've ever seen him.

And in four separate parties:

Barry Koslow

Peter Pastan (doing the head-to-tail dinner (now $60 for 6 people minimum))

Johnny Monis

Eric Ziebold

If respect from your peers is measured in drops of water, then tonight Palena Cafe was a rainforest. Congratulations, Frank!

Rocks

It seems to me that Palena is now two entirely separate restaurants, with separate kitchens, kitchen staffs and wait staffs. While Frank Ruta is the über-chef, it seems to me that his presence is felt much more in the back, where the serious meals are prepared. He has caught and is surfing the wave of the casual, lively bistro in his Palena Café, but it is obvious that his heart is with those who can afford to appreciate his efforts in the back room.

I think frank rutas heart is very much in the café. And the food, while simple, or maybe not so simple, is in a league of its own. The chicken cacciatore I ordered there recently ($20) was the most memorable version of this dish I have ever had a leg, the meat of a mushroom, minty herbs, a seed or two of fennel and a fried egg soaking up the tomato sauce around the edges of the white. The presentation was restrained, but the whole thing was a little wild and mildly witty as well, and perfect for a winters night. Just as plain but edgy, fat slices of roasted artichoke heart are interspersed in a linear salad with pecorino and spicy greens and dabs of aioli ($13), an interplay of fiery warmth and zest that is so good you want to hold onto and savor the last morsel of artichoke that has to be the best in town. The desserts, too, are outstanding and I dont know if they are what is now being served in the back, but they are absolutely as refined as anything you would expect to find there, judging from a banana tartlet decked with two small caramel sauced logs up against a spoon of (crème freche?) ice cream ($9). The desserts were an exciting discovery when the new pastry chef came on board several weeks ago. I had trouble distinguishing some of the flavors from the sugar, but quince was one of them and I know it is hard when cooked to get it to live up to its natural aroma. Anyway, quibbling aside, the desserts were hard not to like then and they are even better now.

By and large, the café is a new restaurant and the food is seriously good. i miss the ability to order from both menus, but the tab is coming out lower a glass of the portuguese monte vehlo is only $6 so if I keep saving the difference I should be able to afford to appreciate the cooking in the back before too long. (my wife insists she misses the fry plate, but I was starting to get a bit tired of it after ordering it maybe 50 times.)

For anybody considering this beef feast, don't hesitate for a minute; it is well worth the money. Chef Ruta's Vaccinara is the most deftly balanced dish I've had in recent memory: so many components ( oxtail and beef cheek in a sauce of tomato, raisins, cinnamon, and micro mirepoix, paired up with spicy, garlicky vermicelli pasta), all at the right levels. The other courses, spanning tongue, heart, rib eye, and filet, showed just as much finesse, and amounted to far more food than I had expected.

The chicken cacciatore I ordered there recently ($20) was the most memorable version of this dish I have ever had – a leg, the meat of a mushroom, minty herbs, a seed or two of fennel and a fried egg soaking up the tomato sauce around the edges of the white. The presentation was restrained, but the whole thing was a little wild and mildly witty as well, and perfect for a winter’s night.

I had the cacciatore last night, and it was the only time in my life I've been happy to pay $20 for a leg of chicken - my one "beef" (other than below)? A touch, just a touch, of salt would have awakened the vibrancy of this classic peasant dish that I grew up on (I am, after all, 25% Italian) - but I was afraid to ask for any because I was worried that it would get cold.

For anybody considering this beef feast, don't hesitate for a minute; it is well worth the money. Chef Ruta's Vaccinara is the most deftly balanced dish I've had in recent memory: so many components ( oxtail and beef cheek in a sauce of tomato, raisins, cinnamon, and micro mirepoix, paired up with spicy, garlicky vermicelli pasta), all at the right levels. The other courses, spanning tongue, heart, rib eye, and filet, showed just as much finesse, and amounted to far more food than I had expected.

I think frank ruta’s heart is very much in the café.

I got a taste of the remnants of Chef Pastan's head-to-tail meal last night - a little plate of heart with puntarella, et al - I pray it wasn't Frank's, although I have a vague memory of fava beans and a nice Chianti (or was it a Rosso di Montalcino?).

Cheers,

Hannibal, at the lectern.

Sat in the new cafe area for lunch on Saturday. I agree that the space is somewhat spare, but I thought that gave it a bit more cafe feel. I have a few friends who routinely passed Palena by because they thought it was just too fancy looking. This was perfect for an easy lunch. I'm not sure how it would translate at dinner. We split an order of burrata and the roasted brussel sprouts. I thought this meal really showed why Palena has become a sacred cow. The smoky-salty bread was a perfect contrast to the creamy cheese. I thought the sweet potato-olive stew added a nice note, but would have been perfectly happy without it. My dining companion had never had burrata and has already asked to return for more. The roasted brussel sprouts were tossed with walnuts. I thought the walnuts brought out the nuttiness the sprouts took on from the roasting. We left happy, full and with our wallets only slightly lighter.

Sat in the new cafe area for lunch on Saturday. I agree that the space is somewhat spare, but I thought that gave it a bit more cafe feel. I have a few friends who routinely passed Palena by because they thought it was just too fancy looking. This was perfect for an easy lunch. I'm not sure how it would translate at dinner. We split an order of burrata and the roasted brussel sprouts. I thought this meal really showed why Palena has become a sacred cow. The smoky-salty bread was a perfect contrast to the creamy cheese. I thought the sweet potato-olive stew added a nice note, but would have been perfectly happy without it. My dining companion had never had burrata and has already asked to return for more. The roasted brussel sprouts were tossed with walnuts. I thought the walnuts brought out the nuttiness the sprouts took on from the roasting. We left happy, full and with our wallets only slightly lighter.

We live in the VA suburbs far, far from a Metro station. What is the parking like at what now seems to be the hottest spot in the city?

We live in the VA suburbs far, far from a Metro station. What is the parking like at what now seems to be the hottest spot in the city?

I drove and only had to circle the block once to find street parking. It can be tricky to get a street spot, but there is a pay lot right at Palena's door.

The secret to parking near Palena -- though not necessarily too near -- is to forget trying to park in the area immediately around the commercial strip and look a block or two north of the restaurant.

Or, just show up at 6:30 (weeknights) when the rush hour parking restrictions end.

At 8:30 tonight, there was a 30-minute wait.......

Next time say hi :)

I wasn't surprised at the amount of food, I just wish there was a way to eat more. I think I was the only one at my end who managed more than one piece of the amazing filet, which was the last meat course. There were six meat courses plus a cheese course (Grayson) and a dessert course (perfect quinelles of ice cream.) I would recommend going with a group of 6-8. We were 11 and it was too many people to discuss the meal together. My end of the table, however, analyzed every wonderous course. This isn't a meal I can afford to do regularly but it was worth every penny. Also, go with people who will enjoy and respect the meal as much as you will. Otherwise you are missing part of the experience.

The best way to ensure parking and not have to wait for a table is to arrive as close to 6:30 as possible and park on Connecticut. After 7 parking becomes difficult and the restaurant fills up. Or, as laniloa pointed out, use the lot next door.

Last night the Tuscan kale bread soup and polenta topped with mushroom ragu was the perfect meal for the ridiculously cold weather. I do wish the polenta was served with a piece of bread. It was difficult to sop up the very last bits and we didn't want to order a whole basket of bread for two of us.

The secret to parking near Palena -- though not necessarily too near -- is to forget trying to park in the area immediately around the commercial strip and look a block or two north of the restaurant.

Or, just show up at 6:30 (weeknights) when the rush hour parking restrictions end.

Also... on Ordway, west of Connecticut.

I usually have pretty good luck on Beach Drive, the main street crossing Connecticut right by the gas station. Other options are parking back by those apartments (depending on the time and day of the week - there are restrictions), or across the street up in the roads with lots of houses on them (bear in mind time and day restrictions there, too).

Well then, a belated hello! We actually arrived late due to traffic and were there just before 2 as well. I think we were the last to leave, however. Also spotted hillvalley enjoying a lunch there.

Another fine meal enjoyed, and once again I am overstuffed. We shared the bread basket, I ordered the Pork Frittes, and Mr. S had the Cobia with sunchokes and (can't recall the entire prep) Mine came with a salad and Mr. S ordered one for an app. I am always pleasantly surprised by the amazing flavors that just a "salad" can deliver, when done the right way. :) . Ordered the brussell sprouts, which had to be substituted at the last minute. The broccolini that was brought out instead was unfortunately too smoky from the wood grill to eat by itself. When eaten with the meat though it was a very fine combo. I'm too sleepy from the food to recall all the details but we will definitely return to try some pizza and/or panini for a lighter lunch. Today was not only a belated semi-birthday celebration, but it was our lunch AND dinner so we ordered a bit on the heavier side.

This is the genius of the food at Palena, I think. It is the combination of flavors when the different components on the plate are eaten together. That is where the magic happens.

He has caught and is surfing the wave of the casual, lively bistro in his Palena Café, but it is obvious that his heart is with those who can afford to appreciate his efforts in the back room.

Agree here with others that have already replied. I've been to Palena at least 60-70 times over the years. Chef Ruta was way ahead of any downscale cafe "trend" as the lower priced cafe menu was well entrenched long before spots like Central or even Eve's Lickety Split started. I think part of the whole deal with the Chef is that he's not so trend driven. He's creative and will experiment but having his food over time long ago persuaded me that he's about quality, taste and deliciousness first and always. No way, in my humble opinion, his "heart" is any less or more with one part of the restaurant or the other. If anything, I think the fact that he created the cafe years ago, before it was trendy, shows that he has always worked to make his food available to more people irrespective of budget.

Super point, MDT. I'm guilty of posting about the burger and chicken too much despite regularly having whatever is new and rotating. Part of the reason I've done that, though, is that those two dishes have been on his menu a long time and both demonstrate his gift of combining ingredients creatively (i.e., with burger, the pickles and cheese show this well) and using skills that most chefs probably don't have to the same degree (i.e., I'm not sure it's ever been proven how he makes the chicken--brining, searing, roasting probably but more specifically....). Couldn't agree more on the "21 other items" though. With the possible exception of the cod cakes, I haven't had a misfire since the new space opened.

And in four separate parties:

Barry Koslow

Johnny Monis

Eric Ziebold

Rocks

Geez-don't say that ("new hottest"), Rocks! Its popularity is growing super fast as it is. Pretty soon, we're going to have 60-90 min waits to get tables! Just kidding--kind of. Of course, big congrats to the Chef and best wishes for greater success. As for that list of diners, I'm not sure how that wouldn't convince anyone to either try Palena or give it a 2nd chance using whatever advice gleaned from this board. That sounds like a judging panel for some Bravo or Food Network all star show.

Thanks for this. Hadn't yet had this but will make it a point to now that I have some first-hand feedback. Sounds great.

I had the cacciatore last night, and it was the only time in my life I've been happy to pay $20 for a leg of chicken - my one "beef" (other than below)?

Oh man. Wasn't planning to eat there again this week but now will have to.

This has already been answered well but, as someone who lives close enough to walk, I'll just say moving to Cleveland Park is the best way to deal with the parking situation. And, with Two Amys on our western border, Dino, Indique, Sorriso and soon Medium Rare all here, along with DC housing market resiliency, there's a case to be made here for anyone more impassioned by food than cars.

Can anyone who's done the head-to-tail advise on the typical time spent from start to finish? Thinking about doing this pre-theater if viable.

Can anyone who's done the head-to-tail advise on the typical time spent from start to finish? Thinking about doing this pre-theater if viable.

Um. To each his own. But when I'm looking at a 7+-course meal, I eat it with good friends and that is the entertainment for the night. Not something to be consumed while worried about curtain time.

Um. To each his own. But when I'm looking at a 7+-course meal, I eat it with good friends and that is the entertainment for the night. Not something to be consumed while worried about curtain time.

[While I agree with you 100%, personal preferences shouldn't play into a strictly fact-based question.]

When I saw Pastan's table (of 8) getting this Monday night (and Peter, I trust I'm not violating your privacy saying this since you were with a lot of your crew, and a lot of people saw you), they were there when I arrived, and were also there when I left (at least two hours later).

Cheers,

Rocks

For what it's worth, I totally agree with Waitman also. Without getting into a lot of detail, suffice to say just sometimes have to compromise a bit on what one might ideally do given other constraints and others' preferences. Thanks Ericandblueboy, hillvalley and Rocks for sharing your experiences!

Head to Tail Feast

Pics from left to right, in the order served - cruda (flattened tartare), brodo (a very rich beef stock that I think had a strong hint of cinnamon), grilled heart (I don't think you could tell it was the heart if they didn't tell you), cured tongue (tastes like corn beef) and the puntarella salad.

post-4391-0-84360700-1296982679_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-11349600-1296982687_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-81252100-1296982693_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-04513300-1296982706_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-77087700-1296982711_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-77440300-1296982725_thumb.jp

Pics: oxtail and cheek, vermicelli (served perfectly al dente, very impressive, I scored the leftover), steak that came with sides of beans and escarole.

A tremendous meal that lasted over 3 hrs and put me into a coma. I didn't even have the cheese or dessert. Holy cow! It was more food than 6 non-competitive eaters can eat. I would hazard to guess more than half of the steak was unfinished even though it was some of the best steak I ever had. $60 pp was kind of a steal.

Thanks to Sthitch and Poolboy for bringing some fine wine.

post-4391-0-66617600-1296982780_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-79261700-1296982790_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-22434400-1296982799_thumb.jp

post-4391-0-92033300-1296982814_thumb.jp

Rolled in last night kind of randomly and the first thought was that people should stop whining about the decor, 'cause its perfectly fine for what it is. And the second thought is that people should stop whining about the menu because the food is great. Also, We were pleased to discover that -- at least on this occasion -- the wait was quite short at 8:30 on a Saturday night.

I have no idea the mackerel with some bitter Italian green whose name I forget was authentic, but if they're not making it in Italy, they should be. Spectacular peasant -y stuff. The pork belly was brilliant. Gnocchis -- I confess -- meh. We've made better at home. The tagliatelli with shrimp (and saffron lobster cream? Something irresistible) was better than dessert. The cheese course was, perhaps, uninspired. But no one really cared by that point.

I have no idea the mackerel with some bitter Italian green whose name I forget was authentic, but if they're not making it in Italy, they should be.

Puntarella. Great plate, because of the mackerel. When Dino has puntarella (either imported or Tuscarora--two different varieties), they use a more rustic, anchovy-y dressing that I prefer.

people should stop whining about the decor, 'cause its perfectly fine for what it is. And the second thought is that people should stop whining about the menu because the food is great.

A - f'in - MEN!!!

I think the place looks lovely (it's so nice to see the Wizard at work). The food is better than ever.

Puntarella. Great plate, because of the mackerel. When Dino has puntarella (either imported or Tuscarora--two different varieties), they use a more rustic, anchovy-y dressing that I prefer.

You don't think anchovy and mackerel are a little redundant? How much stinky fish do you need? :)

You don't think anchovy and mackerel are a little redundant? How much stinky fish do you need? :)

The Dino plate doesn't have mackerel on it.

I prefer eating puntarella at Dino to eating it at Palena. But I strongly prefer eating puntarella to not eating puntarella.

And Jeff Faile at Palena is an excellent bartender. He pulled out an Eastern Standard (Boston) classic the other night--the Theresa. Campari, cassis, and lime.

The puntarella salad served with the beef feast has some anchovies in the dressing, it is a perfect foil for the richness of the tongue.

A tremendous meal that lasted over 3 hrs and put me into a coma. I didn't even have the cheese or dessert. Holy cow! It was more food than 6 non-competitive diners can eat. I would hazard to guess more than half of the steak was unfinished even though it was some of the best steak I ever had. $60 pp was kind of a steal.

That meal was ridiculously good. Thanks for inviting us along!

Linky to pictures of our own

Pics: oxtail and cheek, vermicelli (served perfectly al dente, very impressive, I scored the leftover), steak that came with sides of beans and escarole.

A tremendous meal that lasted over 3 hrs and put me into a coma. I didn't even have the cheese or dessert. Holy cow! It was more food than 6 non-competitive eaters can eat. I would hazard to guess more than half of the steak was unfinished even though it was some of the best steak I ever had. $60 pp was kind of a steal.

Thanks to Sthitch and Poolboy for bringing some fine wine.

I second this all. Between the food, the wine, the company, everything was just an incredible evening. I think people should stop quibbling about the decor too, I thought it was fine. I am in absolute love with the oxtail served. It was so good. Actually I am in love with pretty much the whole meal start to finish. It was sooo much food, but so good. If you can do this meal, do it.

Thank you Sthitch and Poolboy (and your lovely Wife) for bringing excellent wine.

Even the dessert was just perfect with the rest of the meal, simple and perfect.

I am in absolute love with the oxtail served. It was so good. Actually I am in love with pretty much the whole meal start to finish.

Thank you Sthitch and Poolboy (and your lovely Wife) for bringing excellent wine.

I would say that while not disappointing I thought that the beef heart paled compared to everything else.

You are welcome.

I got a remnant dish of Peter Pastan's beef heart, and thought it was just incredible. If it gets better than this, I want in.

Seem to remember you had a chance...

It was not that the heart was bad, it wasn't, to put it into perspective, we left at least half the heart on the plate while the brilliantly prepared tongue was devoured.

Another place where something good pales compared to its stellar partner is the beef cheek which would be raved about by any sane beef lover if it were not paired with oxtail that is otherworldly.

As good as everything was, I think that the tartar/carpaccio (it is chopped meat plated like carpaccio) was the dish of the evening for me. It took me back to the very first carpaccio I had ever tasted in a small out of the way restaurant in the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco. Then again, there was the soup, and the horseradish that went with the rib steak, and the aforementioned oxtail, and the…

...no, I am not fawning…

I got a remnant dish of Peter Pastan's beef heart, and thought it was just incredible. If it gets better than this, I want in.

Then you better get in! I will agree it was the weakest dish of the night. That tongue was perfect so thin and full of flavorful salty goodness, but so soft. The steak was just amazing, one of the best steaks I have eaten. The oxtail were so good we (well not all of us, but at least half I would say) picked them up with our fingers to finish them off and the cheek in that sauce was very good too. I didn't think the carpaccio/tartare was the most whelming dish, it may be about the same now in my memory as the heart, but others in the group would majorly disagree, I am just not as into it. And the consomme was well just so good more than one of us picked up our bowls to get all of it. Really, this was one of the best meals I have eaten. It was so comforting, yet complex. I wished I had two stomachs for that night because there was just only so much you could eat.

The oxtail were so good we (well not all of us, but at least half I would say) picked them up with our fingers to finish them off and the cheek in that sauce was very good too.

Yes, you were all complete vulgarians!!! One member of the table even dropped his on his white shirt...

I second this all. Between the food, the wine, the company, everything was just an incredible evening. I think people should stop quibbling about the decor too, I thought it was fine. I am in absolute love with the oxtail served. It was so good. Actually I am in love with pretty much the whole meal start to finish. It was sooo much food, but so good. If you can do this meal, do it.

Even the dessert was just perfect with the rest of the meal, simple and perfect.

Ah the wines were very good overall, I was just glad to contribute. I loved the Barolo (details on that pleeease!?). The Match BAconbrook 2004 Cab showed well enough, but I thought it was slightly awkward. The CdP I brought was quite good. I was worried it would show poorly since it is still so young, but after the coaal dust went down with the first taste is showed pretty well. Lots of tar, very black but radiant fruit with a core of lead. Delicious. If only it'd been a magnum.

Seem to remember you had a chance...

It was not that the heart was bad, it wasn't, to put it into perspective, we left at least half the heart on the plate while the brilliantly prepared tongue was devoured.

Another place where something good pales compared to its stellar partner is the beef cheek which would be raved about by any sane beef lover if it were not paired with oxtail that is otherworldly.

As good as everything was, I think that the tartar/carpaccio (it is chopped meat plated like carpaccio) was the dish of the evening for me. It took me back to the very first carpaccio I had ever tasted in a small out of the way restaurant in the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco. Then again, there was the soup, and the horseradish that went with the rib steak, and the aforementioned oxtail, and the…

...no, I am not fawning…

The heart was *great*. Was it given a raw deal since it was paired with the tongue at the same time? Sure. But it was probably the best beef heart I have ever had, and I have had a goodly bit. Oh and the puntarella salad. YUM! The steak was just a way to put a nail in everyone's coffin. I mean, was that not one of the very best steaks you have ever had? I actually thought the weakest course was the cheese course. It was good, but it would have been cool to have a sampling of cheeses. But the bread it was paired with made up for it all and I am splitting hairs.

The carpaccio was also some of the better carpacio I have had. What was wonderful about it was the attention to detail on how they cut the tiny individual cubes. From someone who knows good detail in knife work (yes, I am all that is the anal retentive chef at times), this is no small feat.

And good gosh the oxtails and cheeks course. I was in heaven. I indeed lost a grip of the 2nd or third oxtail chunk I was greedily devouring all to add color and depth to my white, purple and pink shirt. I was going for a Jackson Pollock look but I think still failed miserably. But that dish was so good. The beef cheeks themselves were outshone by the oxtail I agree.

But honestly, the brodo was still my course of the night. There is something about their magical broth that makes me swoon. I can't help myself.

And the buttermilk ice cream was seriously delicious and tangy.

Great evening.