Need Help With Breakfast In Bethesda

JLK

Next week, a friend is coming home to visit his family for Thanksgiving and I'm trying to catch breakfast with him before leaving to visit my own relatives.

Can you think of anywhere in Bethesda that serves breakfast on a weekday? Silver Spring would work too.

Probably Original Pancake House would be your best bet.  I have had some decent meals at the Tastee diner too.

When I needed to be out there working, I would go to Tastee Diner. It's not the absolute best quality, but it was a nice start to the day.

Probably Original Pancake House would be your best bet.  I have had some decent meals at the Tastee diner too.

I had the scariest "pancake" at OPH last year. It was some kind of baked apple/ cinnamon/dough monstrosity. Seriously, it covered the entire plate. Friends of mine loved the place, but I suspect it had more to do with the portion size (for the ravenous husband). I am personally not a fan.

breakfast-- maybe cafe deluxe in downtown bethesda? Also, there is a diner in Chevy Chase DC (Connecticut Ave near the Avalon Theatre) where I had OK french toast.

I like Original Pancake House.

There is also a Booymongers on 410 just to the right of the Bethesda Metro if you are facing north on Wisconsin Avenue.

Both provided breakfasts the weekend of my wedding. OPH was good basic food and the Booymongers had lovely greasy bacon. (I like my bacon undercooked and floppy, as I recall it was perfect...)

Jennifer

Next week, a friend is coming home to visit his family for Thanksgiving and I'm trying to catch breakfast with him before leaving to visit my own relatives.

Can you think of anywhere in Bethesda that serves breakfast on a weekday?  Silver Spring would work too.

I'd hit Louisiana Express if they still do breakfast (they did seven days a week for years). Eggs creole: poached eggs on fried grits with creole sauce; and cafe au lait and beignets.

Also, there is a diner in Chevy Chase DC (Connecticut Ave near the Avalon Theatre) where I had OK french toast.

Ack! I say stay away from the American City Diner (CT Ave. near Avalon). I had a terrible dinner there once with SO. Mediocre diner food (at least for dinner), everything 'eh' at best.

I had the scariest "pancake" at OPH last year.  It was some kind of baked apple/ cinnamon/dough monstrosity.  Seriously, it covered the entire plate. 

HA! I think its their apple pancake, I like to call it an 'ode to obesity' - you can also order it a la mode if you don;t think its filling enough on its own

I like OPH - good basic breakfast food/pancakes and I do like their other 'house special', the Dutch Baby - reminds me a little of the pancakes my mother used to make on Pancake (Shrove) Tuesday

i had one bad meal at the pancake place, and never went back.

tastee diner is an institution, but the one in bethesda is far superior (believe it or not) to the one in silver spring.

there is also the parkway deli and woodside deli (located right next to 495) for very good jewish deli type breakfasts. red dog cafe (at least the two dinners i had) were bad, so i wouldnt reccommend breakfast (and i live right next to it, and wish it was decent).

Ha! A good breakfast in Bethesda!?!! I only say that cuz I work there.

there is also the parkway deli

For breakfast, I've had a decent (and I stress that it's only decent) breakfast at Parkway Deli in Chevy Chase or the deli at Potomac Village (it's in the same complex as the Giant at the intersection of Falls Road and River Road). Hope that helps!

I don't even know how to describe him, a man of about...45/50 years perhaps? He definitely had his schtick and 90% of it was fake rudeness that eventually just seemed rude. Granted this is a diner and we weren't expecting fine service, but it was just so odd overall. I can't do it justice with words.

How's this for an old bump? I figure my question would eventually get merged in with this, so I might as well save Don the trouble.

I need to figure out a good place in downtown Bethesda to deposit my mom, wife, and 8-month old baby for a couple hours on a forthcoming Saturday morning. The situation is this: My mom is visiting on the same weekend as the first meeting of a class I'm taking at the Writer's Center. Rather than leave the family behind, I thought they could come up with me to Bethesda and entertain themselves from 10:00 to 12:30.

Any good, casual breakfast or brunch place for such a motley trio in the walkable (and stroller-able) environs of downtown Bethesda on Saturday morning? Or at least coffee/pastries? Bonus points for any other suggestions on how they might entertain themselves.

The Original Pancake House is within walking distance of a few places that they can stay entertained at, although I doubt they'd wanna be outside with a baby and highs of about 49.

White Flint Mall maybe? I am not sure anymore, my memories of that area are slowly fading away :blink:

The Original Pancake House is within walking distance of a few places that they can stay entertained at, although I doubt they'd wanna be outside with a baby and highs of about 49. ...

[For the record, it's not THIS weekend. It's April 14th. I have it on good authority that the weather will be perfect.]

Any good, casual breakfast or brunch place for such a motley trio in the walkable (and stroller-able) environs of downtown Bethesda on Saturday morning? Or at least coffee/pastries?

Louisiana Express is a dive, but the breakfasts are pretty tasty in a greasy-spoon-diner kinda way, the beignets decent, the cafe au lait hot and bitter. It could do. There's a handful of little shops nearby, too, and the big Barnes and Noble.