Single Malt Scotch Gift

lion

Wasn't sure if I should place this in Help Needed or Beer and Wine. Moderators, please move if necessary.

Looking to get a single malt scotch as a Christmas present for my GF's dad. Trying to not go overboard, thinking of a price range ~$60. In terms of his taste, he enjoyed Ray's the Classics on his last trip to DC. Also, he smokes cigars, if that makes a difference.

Since I'm not a regular scotch drinker, definitely open to suggestions. Presently looking at Calvert Woodley's Single Malt Scotch Sale List and considering the Lagavulin 16 year old.

Anyone have any comments on it or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for this help with my Christmas shopping!

Wasn't sure if I should place this in Help Needed or Beer and Wine. Moderators, please move if necessary.

Looking to get a single malt scotch as a Christmas present for my GF's dad. Trying to not go overboard, thinking of a price range ~$60. In terms of his taste, he enjoyed Ray's the Classics on his last trip to DC. Also, he smokes cigars, if that makes a difference.

Since I'm not a regular scotch drinker, definitely open to suggestions. Presently looking at Calvert Woodley's Single Malt Scotch Sale List and considering the Lagavulin 16 year old.

Anyone have any comments on it or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for this help with my Christmas shopping!

I take it you have not seen the type he likes to drink. Can your GF give you some info? You don't want to get him a peaty one if that is not what he likes.

I love the peaty malts and Lagavulin 16 year-old remains my favorite. You just can't go wrong with that one. Laphroaig 10 year-old is also very good, as is Talisker, from the Isle of Skye. The latter is peaty, but with a peppery note that makes it entirely unique.

My bottle of scotch is almost empty and i was craving bourbon to replace it but now this thread swings me back in the direction of scotch. Oh the woes of a beginner drinker in a beginner job that tries to ration himself to one high-end bottle available at a time.

Who's kidding who, now I'm gonna buy both (that Isle of Skye sounds intriguing)

The Quarter Cask is quite good, actually.

Unfortunately, $60 doesn't buy a ton of Scotch these days. Most cask-strength independent bottlings start at about $90 and head north quickly. Independents can be more interesting because independent bottlers don't have to worry about producing 100,000 bottles of a whisky, each of which tastes the same.

My husband has purchased Single Malt Scotch as gifts over the past few years, and he has found a certain salesperson at Addy Bassin's to have provided invaluable assistance. He has helped my husband find less well-known but very worthy bottles. Sadly, we don't know his name. :)

Different poster, same question...but boss wants to get $80-$100 bottle of scotch as a gift. Can scotch be shipped? Or do I need to call a store in Boston to deliver a bottle as a gift?

Not sure of his exact taste, but I know he likes Glenlivet.

Do I need to call a store in Boston to deliver a bottle as a gift?

It is illegal to ship spirits from out of state to MA. Not sure what the local delivery laws are.

But Joe Howell at Federal Wine and Spirits is one of the foremost Scotch minds in the USA and a pleasure to buy from.

It is illegal to ship spirits from out of state to MA. Not sure what the local delivery laws are.

But Joe Howell at Federal Wine and Spirits is one of the foremost Scotch minds in the USA and a pleasure to buy from.

Thx Jake!

He was a pleasure to speak with, and they will deliver to the address I need. He recommended the Glenfarclas 17yr.