Hard Times Cafe - Local Chili House and Dive Bar Now In Numerous Area Locations

I didn't want to believe the posts above. I went to the Hard Times in Gaithersburg this weekend. (aka the Magic Cue)

Awful. The service was messed up but I suspect the kitchen was missing a person or two - I can wait, that's forgivable. What's not was the tasteless, dry pate that was served as Cincinnati style chili and the dried cornbread on the side.

This was once a great place/chain -inexpensive, quality chili, good service, someone cared. Are any of the locations minding the store anymore?

I've found the Germantown location to be disappointing and will no longer go there. The Rockville location just off I-270 at Route 28 is considerably better.

This recent crappy weather had me craving chili. I stopped at Hard times on the way home hoping to get lucky (chili-wise). everything about the stop (Hard Times Germantown, btw) was as bad as could be. The bartender sucked, the drink sucked, and the chili sucked, but I digress. It led me to ask:

Hard Times is a terribly inconsistent from one location to the next and even from one dish to another at a single location. I've had reliably good luck getting Cincinnati chili at Hard Times in Clarendon over cornbread or Fritos, but the fries and tortilla chips sometimes are inedible. Service is usually good too.

Hard Times is a terribly inconsistent from one location to the next and even from one dish to another at a single location. I've had reliably good luck getting Cincinnati chili at Hard Times in Clarendon over cornbread or Fritos, but the fries and tortilla chips sometimes are inedible. Service is usually good too.

Not to pull a Joe H, but back in the 1980s, I knew one of the original founders of Hard Times Cafe (Jim Parker) and even went sailing with him once although he'd only remember me as "that guy who played the piano." He told me: order a 5-Way Chili Mac, Texas, Parmesan not Cheddar, and douse it with vinegar sauce. Times have changed at this grungy little chain, but I got to taste Jim's competition chili (made with steak), and it was fantastic. I also remember reading on this website a few years ago about Hard Times' chili-lime chicken wings, ordered them in Reston, and liked the flavors.

After reading comments about chili that are current I kept seeing references to Hard Times and thought I'd go back and reference what was once one of my all time favorite meals in the region, now more often than not totally screwed up. Chicken Alamo is a piece of chicken breast cooked and inundated with the excellent Hard Times Spices. The key to the dish was that it sat on spaghetti mixed in ranch dressing/sauce with icy cold diced tomatoes. An amazing combination of both hot and bland and hot and cold. Rapturous.

I met a guy who was supposedly at the Olde Towne HT, way back when and he told me he helped create that dish.

More recently though, as HT has changed significantly and according to the comments in this forum has seen widely different levels of satisfaction at its many different locations I found that the versions of Chicken Alamo would change drastically.

They BAKED the damn spaghetti and ranch sauce...absolutely eliminating the spectacular and incredibly pleasing stark contrast between hot and bland hot and cold.

For shame HT. It not only appears the many HT's are incredibly inconsistent, but you absolutely mangled a great recipe.

I still like HT chili. I like both Texas and Cincinnati and will vary between 3-5 for each. Hell its still chili, perfect for cold weather and with a cold beer.

Hard Times does good "topping" chili, but I'd never eat a bowl of it.

Actually, my problem with Hard Times Cincy is that it's not thin enough to be a good spaghetti topping, though I usually like the flavor. I know it's heresy in the proper cooking world, but I like my Cincinnati style (and Ben's) to be saucy, done by cooking the meat directly in the liquid - no browning. Just like Skyline, Camp Washington, etc in Cincinnati. I always like to think of it as not really chili, but more 'Macedonian Spaghetti Sauce.' Oh and it needs to be topped with loads more mild Wisconsin cheddar :rolleyes:

chili-cheese-cincinnati-camp-washington-del1211-lg.jpg

About twenty five years ago, I was dating a girl who had a roomate that was a manager at the Old Town Hard Times - I remember having what I thought was the best chili ever when I had gotten the five way.

A few months ago, I took the girls up to the Rockville HT's and all I had gotten was a greasy yuck mess - All I could think of was wow how the mighty has fallen.

Today I just spoke w/ a former GM at one of the Hard Times. I was asking questions that I think reflected some of the concerns in this thread over time. One of them had to do with corporate controls and consistency w/ regard to franchise operations and inconsistency versus owned operations.

She mentioned that the corporate structure and top guys have changed over time. Evidently HT has varied in its controls over time. Their current goal is to try and maintain consistency.

She also said that when there is a problem go to the GM in the restaurant and let them know.

Then I hit my pet peeve; the aforementioned chicken alamo. She twirled and said, yes its one of her favorite dishes and the fave of her brother.

I brought up my concern how some SOB's and different operators over the years baked the ranch dressing w/ the spaghetti and killed the contrast between spicy and bland, hot and cold.

Oh boy, she knew exactly what I described. If you go for the chicken alamo in any HT....make sure they don't bake the ranch dressing w/ the spaghetti.

Jeez that is like painting graffiti on the Mona Lisa. ;)

As to the chili...HT's call to fame...she defends it. She thinks it far better than most restaurant chili's in the area...but its not the best of the best!!

Then I hit my pet peeve; the aforementioned chicken alamo. She twirled and said, yes its one of her favorite dishes and the fave of her brother.

I brought up my concern how some SOB's and different operators over the years baked the ranch dressing w/ the spaghetti and killed the contrast between spicy and bland, hot and cold.

Oh boy, she knew exactly what I described. If you go for the chicken alamo in any HT....make sure they don't bake the ranch dressing w/ the spaghetti.

Jeez that is like painting graffiti on the Mona Lisa. ;)

You ... didn't ... just ... say ... ranch dressing on spaghetti ... did you?

This is disgusting!

@Don:   This is for you.  I was speaking w/ new students at the bar school today.  One used to work at Hard Times and in fact said he opened one of the branches years ago.  I started telling him my fave dish there and before I could finish he cut in and said......chicken alamo.

Yup spicy chicken atop spaghetti with ranch dressing!!!!!     He loves it too.  he also suggested variations with jalapenos or bacon.   Its a great contrast in flavors and tremendously tasty.

But make sure they don't bake everything together.  That totally screws it up.

He also told me his cost of ingredients.  oooooooooooooh.   There is a good bit of $$$ there for rents and salaries and insurance and phones, etc...but you have to sell a lot of them for the restaurant to make a profit.

@ Don:  you have to try it before you knock it.

One other little piece of info abt Hard Times per this former manager at two of the Hard Times'.   They are extraordinarily independent with different people owning different Hard Times' and essentially no corporate controls or quality controls on what they put out.

I went back through this thread to 2006 and earlier and people were remarking on the inconsistency between locations.   Evidently the different locations have been very independent for a long time which could explain the differences in quality from place to place.

Hard Times indeeed.  Its hard to find a Hard Times with consistently good menu items across the board and similar to what you might find at a different Hard Times

daveo, since I know it's your neighborhood -- since I moved from Courthouse, I haven't been to the Clarendon one. I used to go there regularly for some chili and cheap beers on Tuesday nights. Also because I had a cool bartender, though last I saw her she was a (fellow) patron at Fuego Cocina and came over to say hi to me, and I want to say she's not there any more. Is it still chill and okay? Or should I not bother walking there?

BTW, if there's one thing that makes me feel good as a patron, it's when I see a bartender I visited regularly in another capacity - either as a patron at another bar, bartending elsewhere, or even promoted to management - and they say hi. I try to be a good patron and tipper, and most of all, try to make sure that me (and anyone I'm with) isn't rude or a creeper, so it makes me feel good when they remember me fondly.

(Just out of nowhere. Maybe need to move threads...)

Is it still chill and okay? Or should I not bother walking there?

Its certainly still chill.    I think their chili is okay.  Not great.  But I generally like it and frankly I like Cincinnati style, which of course they have.   I like it.  The bar is chill.

BTW, if there's one thing that makes me feel good as a patron, it's when I see a bartender I visited regularly in another capacity - either as a patron at another bar, bartending elsewhere, or even promoted to management - and they say hi. I try to be a good patron and tipper, and most of all, try to make sure that me (and anyone I'm with) isn't rude or a creeper, so it makes me feel good when they remember me fondly.

(Just out of nowhere. Maybe need to move threads...)

I like that too.

sort of late in the day for this but I was pleasantly surprised.

Today is National Chili Day and at least the Clarendon Hard Times is providing a FREE BOWL of chili (with at least a purchase of one other item)  --hey I bought a coke.

I don't know if the other Hard Times' are doing the same...but if you are in the vicinity of Clarendon....its at least a good price deal today!!

Tried the Chicken Alamo for the first time at the Old Town location today. The bartender made it in front of me, and the ranch dressing was not baked into the spaghetti. As others described, it is a pleasant combination of spicy and bland, hot and cold. It could have used more chicken. There were just three strips on top. I like the idea of adding bacon or jalapenos for extra punch. Now that I appreciate the canvas, I'll have to begin playing with the brushstrokes.

• Like 1

Tried the Chicken Alamo for the first time at the Old Town location today. The bartender made it in front of me, and the ranch dressing was not baked into the spaghetti. As others described, it is a pleasant combination of spicy and bland, hot and cold. It could have used more chicken. There were just three strips on top. I like the idea of adding bacon or jalapenos for extra punch. Now that I appreciate the canvas, I'll have to begin playing with the brushstrokes.

all right!!

last time I had it at the clarendon HT they screwed it up again baking the ranch dressing. I spoke w/ the gm.

First he gave me a bit of the buffalo shuffle.  "this is the real way...blah blah blah. "

I was persistent and told him to try it elsewhere.   He came back and gave me a gift certificate, which was quite nice, and told me the next time I order it to also ensure that I give instructions to not bake the ranch dressing.   the one day I was there ....it was free chili day...so I passed on the chicken alamo.

BTW:  there is a guy I know who said he was in on "inventing" that dish at the original Old Town Location.

• Like 2

Glad to know that the Alexandria location remains true to the original and surprisingly tasty rendition of Chicken Alamo.  I've been reluctant to give it a go at Clarendon.  My suspicion was that despite my talk with the GM there, and a "plea" to try it at other Hard Times....they wouldn't get it right.

They didn't.  It was worse.  I ordered this unique dish at Clarendon.  I gave implicit instructions.  DO NOT BAKE the spaghetti in the ranch dressing.  That is after all what the Clarendon GM told me what to say.  They didn't.  It was worse.  They baked the spaghetti in some cheese with the ranch dressing on the side.  How incredibly inedible.  A food disaster.  A colossal mess.

I ate a bit.  I was hungry.  Left most of it.  Paid my bill and left.  Never again.  Its actually an easy dish.  Here is a recipe that is probably very close to the original HT recipe:   I've made that.  Its easy.  That recipe or something close to it replicates the interesting juxtaposition of mild and hot.   What I got the other evening was grotesque.

I'll have chili or wings or burgers at HT in Clarendon.  I'll drink some brews and watch a game.  But chicken alamo.  NEVER.  I'll make it myself or go to the Alexandria HT or Springfield, where some of the former employees swear by it.  What a pity.

Guess I've been there several times/year mostly for the Cincy chili.  When I'm lazy and struck by the whim.  It's okay and fills the belly with comfort food.  (Mine is better).  It's simply passable.

Its not memorable enough for a nostalgic last day return visit.

Now the location....ooh that is prime and will probably command a crazy high rent.  Another Atown/Don Tito or higher priced place....those are my guesses.  I doubt burgers or chili can pay the rent.

On 7/2/2016 at 1:03 PM, DaveO said:

Guess I've been there several times/year mostly for the Cincy chili.  When I'm lazy and struck by the whim.  It's okay and fills the belly with comfort food.  (Mine is better).  It's simply passable.

Its not memorable enough for a nostalgic last day return visit.

Now the location....ooh that is prime and will probably command a crazy high rent.  Another Atown/Don Tito or higher priced place....those are my guesses.  I doubt burgers or chili can pay the rent.

Yeah. It's a little sad for me - Fred Parker is a personal friend, and he is as nice a guy as you'll meet. His brother Jim was pretty hands-on at Clarendon, and he passed a few years ago. (Not for nothing, but Jim was just like Fred.)

When we were young, Ol' Ironstomach and his friends had a tradition: they would give a quarter to newbies to HTC, and they would have to pick a song out of the jukebox, which was all country. I wussed out and picked Johnny Cash. Our middle brother picked Hank Williams' "Tear In My Beer." This does not at all contribute to lingering feelings of inadequacy for me.

Just saying. :D

4 hours ago, rockcreek said:

Yeah. It's a little sad for me - Fred Parker is a personal friend, and he is as nice a guy as you'll meet. His brother Jim was pretty hands-on at Clarendon, and he passed a few years ago. (Not for nothing, but Jim was just like Fred.)

When we were young, Ol' Ironstomach and his friends had a tradition: they would give a quarter to newbies to HTC, and they would have to pick a song out of the jukebox, which was all country. I wussed out and picked Johnny Cash. Our middle brother picked Hank Williams' "Tear In My Beer." This does not at all contribute to lingering feelings of inadequacy for me.

Just saying. :D

I was personal friends with Jim back in the 1980s (through his girlfriend, with whom I worked), and even went sailing with him a few times - hell, we might have even gone to an Orioles game together. He was a super-nice guy, and the fact that he owned Hard Times was completely incidental to our friendship (I wasn't this wild culinary-nut back then, and friendships didn't originate from the food-world). He let me have a taste of a contest chili he made using steak, and it was incredible (and incredibly expensive) - he was a talented man). 

I was not impressed by the chili here. I did appreciate that you could sample all 4 types first. I found the cincinatti chili to be overly sweet (yes, I know it is supposed to taste a tad like cinnamon) and the Terligua chili to be not spicy at all. I found the chili to be greasy. I heard the Clarendon location has since closed.

As luck would have it (or not), I found myself at the  Springfield location last week for the first time in about 17 years and asked for "Chicken Alamo", per the discussion upthread many moons ago. Wow. Totally revolting. I should have known, but went against my better judgement. Oh well. Fortunately it will be at least another 17 until I return.

Incidentally, this location is directly off of "Bland Street" - seriously. Too funny, and perhaps the best descriptor for this area ever.

On 7/7/2016 at 11:01 PM, rockcreek said:

Fred Parker, co-founder of Hard Times chili chain, dies at 78, by Louie Estrada, May 12, 2020, on washingtonpost.com.

• Sad 1

Sad to learn this, I remember being taken to Hard Times in Alexandria for the first time sometime in the 80's by my then in-laws. I always got the Cincinnati style. Last year I bought a bottle of the chili vinegar from Fred, and it got left behind when I moved to CT in November. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2005 at 2:33 PM, DonRocks said:

'Texas 5-Way Chili Mac with extra onions, pour on the vinegar sitting tableside.' That's what Jim Parker, one of the founders, told me the best thing was at Hard Times. We used to have some friends in common (I even went sailing with him once) - he's still somehow affiliated with the company, but I believe his ownership was sold years ago. His competition/cook-off chilis are great, but I've never been a huge fan of the gut-busting food that comes out of the restaurant.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I thought you all would be interested in re-reading this post from nearly 15-years ago.

• Like 4